997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2's ICs limit? (GT2RS's)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skandalis447
I was the codriver of George (GT-TT) when we logged his famous AM coolers Vs GT2RS(997,2TT) coolers...we are talking about 20deg celsious difference...and strange enough after 270km GT2RS coolers started to lower iat...I do have all his logs...day and night difference...
P.S. when his car was tuned with AM coolers he had around 700hp...with GT2Rs coolers,he drove again to sportec and the car was fine tuned again taking advantage of lower IATs...difference?40hp...
There was his exhaust sensor which helped a bit too if I remind well...
(I will change mine too for a >2010 soon)
Skand, I'm Ok those parts are good, I never had issue by low AT, but I would be interested to know if by warm AT the Ics still perform with george's car?
My IAT reaches 60°C but no more end 6th by 20/22°C.

(I guess some AM parts would let my IAT growing up to 70°C, as did my 997.1s last year...)

Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
RUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really nice
can you tell us more about the exhaust sensor George is using?

I am also experiancing the same problem as you..

Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RUF QTR
can you tell us more about the exhaust sensor George is using?

I am also experiancing the same problem as you..
What do you mean?

"Slow" top end or high IAT?

George told me (and he wrote it on a thread too) that the <2010 exhaust sensor was not as sensible as >2010, so the engine management at high rpms is sharper with the new one.
I did not make a serious research on it for the moment, so I don't really know which sensor it is, perhap's the temperature ones (1 per bank if yes).

Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by K24F
What do you mean?

"Slow" top end or high IAT?

George told me (and he wrote it on a thread too) that the <2010 exhaust sensor was not as sensible as >2010, so the engine management at high rpms is sharper with the new one.
I did not make a serious research on it for the moment, so I don't really know which sensor it is, perhap's the temperature ones (1 per bank if yes).
who cars about sensors, you can move limit for 1500C for example.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 AM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
I bolt on catbypasses to reduce backpressure and EGT.
Even during hard loads the EGT does not exceed 900°C (often 840°C), but I know, it is "modelled" EGT with the Durametric.

What I'm sure is my IAT exceeds 55°C the whole 6th when WOT from 3rd to 300 by 20°C AT...

I might only run high speeds in winter?

I wonder how the logs could be if I was living in Middle East or other warm/hot countries!?
modelled EGT is not the correct one. Yours must have exceed 980 degrees. You can see it yourself if you cancel the EGT sensor, your car will go faster But of course, with a good chance of destroying your turbos.

Won't be too much of a difference on winter actually. Those little VTG's get very hot during hard load. I would get a bigger (3 inch) exhaust for that. Must not go higher than 950 for ECU not pull timing.

And yes, if your IAT exceeds that much, I would get a set of intercoolers. Champion has a good set. Also water injection will help significantly for that too.

Last edited by besiktas; 07-27-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
How can I measure my EGT?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by besiktas
modelled EGT is not the correct one. Yours must have exceed 980 degrees. You can see it yourself if you cancel the EGT sensor, your car will go faster But of course, with a good chance of destroying your turbos.

Won't be too much of a difference on winter actually. Those little VTG's get very hot during hard load. I would get a bigger (3 inch) exhaust for that. Must not go higher than 950 for ECU not pull timing.

And yes, if your IAT exceeds that much, I would get a set of intercoolers. Champion has a good set. Also water injection will help significantly for that too.
So you think the Durametric could make a >100°C error between the real and modelled EGT!?
I noticed 55°C IAT was the limit before time pulling but I do not know the EGT limit.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
So you think the Durametric could make a >100°C error between the real and modelled EGT!?
I noticed 55°C IAT was the limit before time pulling but I do not know the EGT limit.
I don't know about the level of the error but there are no other explanations. I saw myself about this error on my car, so..

EGT limit should be after 970 - 980.

Meth / Water injection will help about that too.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
How can I measure my EGT?
On Durametric click "Exhaust temperature downstream modelled".

Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by besiktas
I don't know about the level of the error but there are no other explanations. I saw myself about this error on my car, so..

EGT limit should be after 970 - 980.

Meth / Water injection will help about that too.
For the EGT, it is possible, as told GT-TT, that the "old" sensors indicate a higher temp than real to the ECU (better than inverse!) and limit the power.
I checked my EGT with a Kempower sensor: about 850°C, same as modelled.

I called my Porsche center today: the exhaust sensor (997 606 250 001 to 005 now if my memory is Ok) is the fifth since 2007, Porsche changed 4 times those sensors for 5 years...
I will change it and share...

I thought Meth/water was helping lower IAT, not EGT?
Anyway, too dangerous according to me...

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM
RUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really niceRUF QTR is just really nice
Do you mean the O2 sensor in the exhaust as in exhaust sensors?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by RUF QTR
Do you mean the O2 sensor in the exhaust as in exhaust sensors?
No man, exhaust temperature sensor, in french "thermocouple", it is one ref. by Porsche for a double sensor (bank 1 + bank 2), costs here about 620Euros.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 PM
997tttt is infamous around these parts
To add a bit of fuel to this fire.

I am also using the 997.2 intercoolers along with a fabspeed exhaust bmc filter and billet diverter valves along with a proto tune running pump gas.

Ambient temp here is 16c and its nightime (not sure if that matters)

Anyhow just did some runs from 100kph upto 270kph and logged in durametric.

Exhaust temperature reading before i gunned it was 755c, air intake temp 28c, any how by the time i backed off the exhaust temp was 830c and highest air intake temp was 42c.

I can post files if you want but it all looks very boring to me.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997tttt
To add a bit of fuel to this fire.

I am also using the 997.2 intercoolers along with a fabspeed exhaust bmc filter and billet diverter valves along with a proto tune running pump gas.

Ambient temp here is 16c and its nightime (not sure if that matters)

Anyhow just did some runs from 100kph upto 270kph and logged in durametric.

Exhaust temperature reading before i gunned it was 755c, air intake temp 28c, any how by the time i backed off the exhaust temp was 830c and highest air intake temp was 42c.

I can post files if you want but it all looks very boring to me.
27C over ambient at 270kph is pretty darn good, you wont see that with many AM coolers.

It's 41C ambient now where I live, I did a few logs and saw close to 70C at the same speeds. There's only so much you can do when its hot out! I'm considering alcohol injection but may give the Champion coolers a shot.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTdude
On Durametric click "Exhaust temperature downstream modelled".
Thank you Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2's ICs limit? (GT2RS's)