997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Advice for a soon to be Porsche guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
PDK is tough to beat even with a flashed 997.1

Reliability not yet comparable but modabilty is well known, the 997.1 is tough to beat in that department

Plan on an exhaust right away, you will miss the scream of the V10 vs. a stock 911 Turbo sound.

I can second the missed exhaust note issue..but I solved that problem by keeping my M5 and buying a 997.1 -- best of both worlds!!
KEEP THAT M6 AND GET A 997.1...you will be thrilled having both..I know I am loving it!! When I need a serious mechanical note to stir my soul, the V-10 from 5000-8000 rpm is really hard to match!! Then, I climb into the silent hammer of the P-car and just roll with the intense slam of the turbos in your backside.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
golfhero is infamous around these parts
All - thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards an 09 997.1 manual turbo coupe. Will post once I have bought the new beast. Looks like this will be a great place for advice.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by golfhero
All - thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards an 09 997.1 manual turbo coupe. Will post once I have bought the new beast. Looks like this will be a great place for advice.
I am sure this post will get some heated debate but I will post it so you make the decision wth this input. I have wanted a Porache 911 TT Cabrio since I was 14 yrs old. I never considered an automatic because real sports cars are sticks right? WRONG. I went to the dealer in October of 2010 to order my car. Ended up with a 2011 911 TTS Cabrio. I drove the car and was in love. I drive a stick well as I had several and even went to Skip Barber when I had the M3. I can "drive" a stick without issue.

I had driven the Ferrari California just to be sure that when I went to the P car dealer I was ready to buy and that hard top vert was a sweet option. Anyway the California was just not for me. A little to soft and cushy when pressed hard for my taste.

I was ready to order the car when my sales person asked if I wanted to try the PDK. I said, automatic-No thanks. He said you should try it, i see you handle the manual without a problem but this is the future of transmissions and I would not be doing my job if I did not have you drive the PDK. He pulled out a TT PDK and all I can say is WOW. The car shifts in a split second. You can be in the next gear in the time it takes to depress the clutch petal. Shifting up theough the gears under hard acceleration is like pulling a trigger on a well oiled pistol. Down shifting in spot on perfect every time with no though or effort. You can spend more time concentrating on your line than your throttle and gear selection.

All I am saying it do not count the PDK out until you at least experience it. For crying out loud Michael Schumacher drives a PDK variant. Sticks are, I fear a dying tranny. It is really just evoloution of technology in the automotive industry. There are early adopters, and pureists and I fall in the middle as a realist who drove one and decided that I would choose the "Better" (for Me!) tranny.

Good Luck and you really can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Also came from various M cars - the Porsche is in a different league.

Cheers,

Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM
golfhero is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the feedback. My current M6 has a 7 speed SMG II transmission. While not quite as quick as Porsche's PDK it is a similar concept and when tuned up is crazy fast. If I went for a 2010+ year car I would get PDK for sure as I have come to love the SMG on my M6 as well as the 7 gears.

Right now the delta in price on 2008-2009 997.1 and 2010 with PDK is still pretty big. I would prefer a 2010 997.2 with PDK but might not get it past the wife. Have to see how pricing works out over the next week or so...

Originally Posted by JSF721
I am sure this post will get some heated debate but I will post it so you make the decision wth this input. I have wanted a Porache 911 TT Cabrio since I was 14 yrs old. I never considered an automatic because real sports cars are sticks right? WRONG. I went to the dealer in October of 2010 to order my car. Ended up with a 2011 911 TTS Cabrio. I drove the car and was in love. I drive a stick well as I had several and even went to Skip Barber when I had the M3. I can "drive" a stick without issue.

I had driven the Ferrari California just to be sure that when I went to the P car dealer I was ready to buy and that hard top vert was a sweet option. Anyway the California was just not for me. A little to soft and cushy when pressed hard for my taste.

I was ready to order the car when my sales person asked if I wanted to try the PDK. I said, automatic-No thanks. He said you should try it, i see you handle the manual without a problem but this is the future of transmissions and I would not be doing my job if I did not have you drive the PDK. He pulled out a TT PDK and all I can say is WOW. The car shifts in a split second. You can be in the next gear in the time it takes to depress the clutch petal. Shifting up theough the gears under hard acceleration is like pulling a trigger on a well oiled pistol. Down shifting in spot on perfect every time with no though or effort. You can spend more time concentrating on your line than your throttle and gear selection.

All I am saying it do not count the PDK out until you at least experience it. For crying out loud Michael Schumacher drives a PDK variant. Sticks are, I fear a dying tranny. It is really just evoloution of technology in the automotive industry. There are early adopters, and pureists and I fall in the middle as a realist who drove one and decided that I would choose the "Better" (for Me!) tranny.

Good Luck and you really can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:35 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by golfhero

I believe the 997.1 ended in the first half of 2008?? Anything after is a 997.2??

Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
I believe the 997.1 ended in the first half of 2008?? Anything after is a 997.2??
997.1TT last year is 2009 mate.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:56 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
That's why nobody ever asks for my advice...