997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need help choosing: Tiptronic vs. 6-Speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 AM
sc170 has a spectacular aura aboutsc170 has a spectacular aura about
Need help choosing: Tiptronic vs. 6-Speed

Which would you choose:

- 07' Tiptronic with PCCB, adaptive seats, Sport Chorno, TechArt Exhaust, 15k miles, CPO warranty

or

- 07' 6-speed, Sport Chrono, 5k miles, No warranty

Priced about the same.

**I am most concerned with the fact that Tip is old technology.

Thanks for the input!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
steven1 is infamous around these partssteven1 is infamous around these parts
I prefer 6 speed and the tip is a pretty expensive option and the 6 speed is the same price shows you how the 6speed holds its value a bit better. just my opinion. What price are they offering??

Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
6 speed

Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Tip...It may be old technology but it is well tested and very durable. The same could be said with the 997.1 motor "old technology but well tested and very durable. I you live in S.CA and plan on driving the car often..tip with traffic. If its for weekend fun 6 speed. I also question the CPO certification with an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I would say it depends on where you will be driving the most. Stop and go traffic I would go with a tip. Tips are a tiny bit faster and they says the tips will take HP improvements better than then new PDK's.
Warranty is always nice to have but I am sure you could get an extended aftermarket warranty for the 6 speed too.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
IMO only you can answer this question. What is the purpose of the car? Track? Daily driver? Traffic? Do you enjoy driving a 6-speed? I think it's really a personal decision (as is color of the car/interior) that you need to decide.

However, my car is a 6-speed and I live in NY where there is quite a bit of traffic but I still went with 6-speed.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Test drive both and choose the one you like best...Only you can answer that question!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Because I plan to drive the vehicle mostly on the weekend, I think the 6-speed is the way to go.

I considered the tiptronic because of the options...... and my wife.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
GU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really nice
I've had both, and I miss the 6-speed most of the time, EXCEPT for when I'm racing or in bumper to bumper traffic...then I LOVE the tip!

The tip is great because it doesn't require new clutches, you don't have to worry about missed shifts, and you can shift it manually. The 6-speed shifts when I want it to (I love that control), but the tip is a little slow to shift when I shift it manually.

Good luck,
Cliff

Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks Cliff!

How do you like shifting with the Tiptronoic... and most importantly how do you like your TechArt exhaust?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Tiptronic. Faster, better everyday durability, reliable. Same box as amgs used.

I would say manual is the oldest tech. =)

Old 08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sc170
Which would you choose:

- 07' Tiptronic with PCCB, adaptive seats, Sport Chorno, TechArt Exhaust, 15k miles, CPO warranty

or

- 07' 6-speed, Sport Chrono, 5k miles, No warranty

Priced about the same.

**I am most concerned with the fact that Tip is old technology.

Thanks for the input!
Wow tough choice. Just want to point out the Tip has PCCB and Techart exhaust. This is easily worth about $15k retail? PCCB is a major plus if you don't track. The manual car OTOH, 5k miles. Wow - literally a brand new car!! It is borderline criminal activity to have this little mileage in a Turbo.

BUT, as others have mentioned, 6 speed vs. automatic is a major decision and a strict personal choice. Are you a manual gearbox type of guy, have all your previous sports cars been manual? If so, you MUST get the manual regardless of other factors like PCCB or mileage. Unless your wife is a major 911 fanatic, I would not let the little time that she may drive the car determines what you have to put up with 99% of other time. Very likely she doesn't care nearly as much about it as you, so what's important to you matters more, much more.

Likewise, if you are an automatic type of driver, then the Tiptronic obviously, with the bonuses of PCCB and exhaust (hopefully it sounds acceptable) very very nice. Tiptronic is older technology compared to PDK but it's still excellent.

Last edited by cannga; 08-03-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GU10TG
I've had both, and I miss the 6-speed most of the time, EXCEPT for when I'm racing or in bumper to bumper traffic...then I LOVE the tip!

The tip is great because it doesn't require new clutches, you don't have to worry about missed shifts, and you can shift it manually. The 6-speed shifts when I want it to (I love that control), but the tip is a little slow to shift when I shift it manually.

Good luck,
Cliff
OT: Hi Cliff, I like the look of your Turbo. If possible please post high resolution pictures (on a picture thread).

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
GU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really niceGU10TG is just really nice
Originally Posted by sc170
Thanks Cliff!

How do you like shifting with the Tiptronoic... and most importantly how do you like your TechArt exhaust?

You're welcome!

I love not having to hit the clutch first...it's pure greatness...but just know that it takes a small second for the transmission to actually shift...that kinda bugs me a small bit since I'm so used to a 6-speed. To remedy that slight issue, I'm looking into a TCU upgrade to make it shift faster (and to make it allow more torque to be put down to the ground).

The exhaust works for me! Way better than the OEM sound, but it's no V8 rumble...it sounds like a racecar at higher RPMs. I love it, personally.

Thanks,
Cliff

Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
Tuned tip from Champion..blips on every down shift, much faster than stock

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing: Tiptronic vs. 6-Speed