997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tire choices on 2007 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Not sure I buy into your use of "specifically" nor have I yet seen any documentation on the PSS where Michelin is "specifically advising against their use on a 911". I understand your tune and EP were specifically designed for the 997tt but if your engine blows there's a better than average chance any warranty claim will be denied whether or not the tune was specifically designed for your car.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Some testing from Motor Trend. I copied and pasted from the article on the net. Sorry for the sloppy paste job. But you can view on the net.

Home > Features > Performance > Testing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Testing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport
The Almighty PS2 Gets an Upgrade

Everyone knows it doesn't matter how much power a car has if you can't get it to the ground. Because tires are the limiting factor in traction, the competition between tire manufacturers is highly competitive. Over the past few years there has been one standout, known among car guys by just two letters and one number: PS2, the Michelin Pilot Sport 2.
Competitors have narrowed the gap as of late, equaling and in some cases and circumstances besting the renowned PS2. Michelin has responded by making an even better tire: the all-new Pilot Super Sport. By taking what it has learned over the years and adding a bit of creative designing, Michelin has developed possibly the best all-around ultra-high-performance tire on the market.
Some background: Michelin co-develops many of its tires with specific automotive manufacturers, including BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche. Even though cars from these manufacturers all wear Michelin PS2's, they are not the same tire, as subtle differences in compound, construction, and design are unique to each manufacturer.

Click to view Gallery
The development process is staggering. Michelin and the automakers start by figuring out tire size, dimensions, and performance targets. Development continues with prototyping, which consists of 50 days on the track, where 80 different summer tire specifications are tested. In that time the testers turn more than 30,000 miles.
Inspired by Michelin's racing tires, the new Pilot Super Sport uses three unique technologies in its construction: Ceinture Twaron, Bi-Compound Tread, and Variable Contact Patch 2.0.
Ceinture Twaron is a high-density fiber used in equipment for such sports as tennis, sailing, and mountain biking, as well as aeronautics, military gear, and motorsports. Twaron uses variable tension with the belt tightening the tread more than the shoulders. This improves high-speed stability by more evenly distributing pressure while the centrifugal force is more effectively overcome.

Click to view Gallery
Bi-Compound Tread isn't a new technology, but Michelin has taken it to the next level. On the outside of the tire, a carbon-reinforced elastomer ensures endurance when cornering. The high-grip elastomer used on the inside allows the tire to break through the water's surface, finding grip on the slightest road irregularities.
Variable contact patch 2.0 basically means as the patch's shape changes during cornering, the amount of rubber in contact with the road remains the same. Through testing Michelin found that adding any more summer compound gives no real help but actually hurts the winter/wet capabilities. For the new PSS, only the outer 1/5 of the tire is a summer compound, while the remaining 4/5 is a winter/wet compound.

Click to view Gallery
Michelin's in-house testing, performed at the Michelin Technology Center, helped identify six key areas in which the Michelin Pilot Super Sport outperforms its predecessor, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:
Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.
Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance.

Click to view Gallery
While we were in Dubai -- that's right, Dubai -- to get a first hand taste of the new PSS, Michelin had us run three different exercises. The first was a wet skidpad, slowly building speed as we maintained a constant turn-in. The PSS held much longer than the Contis on the other Audi TT. You didn't lose the front end as quickly, and when you did, it was more predictable.
The second exercise was dry and wet braking, again in an Audi TT. The differences were much less noticeable than in the wet skidpad. Both the PSS-shod TT and the one wearing Goodyears felt the same: completely in control with no noticeable slip or wiggle.

Click to view Gallery
The last exercise was lapping Porsches on a small section of the Dubai Autodrome, and that was where the differences were the most noticeable. There were three lapping sessions, ending in the car you started in, with one car wearing the new PSS and the other wearing Bridgestones. First up was exiting the pit onto a long straight, into hard braking and a tight right-hand corner. The instant you started braking you notice the difference between the two tires. The PSS did what you'd expect a high performance tire to do: keep the car steady and controlled, letting you properly set up for your turn-in. You could really throw the PSS-shod Porsche into the corner and it would stick and rotate with minimal push and tire noise. On the other hand, the Bridgestone felt unstable, like it was bouncing or hopping, which was unsettling during hard braking. On turn-in the front end just wasn't there like with the PSS. The tires were nosier at the limit and they were less progressive than the PSS tires.

Click to view Gallery
Unfortunately we didn't get near enough seat time to get a true feel for the new tire. A lap and a half on a small course, a few circles in the wet, and stopping in a straight line a few times just didn't cut it. We need a few hours with these tires, not a few laps. We need time to see at what point they go from very warm and sticky to hot and greasy.
The beloved PS2 will not disappear overnight, but it will be phased out over the next few years. Some of the odd sizes will stay PS2; Michelin will have to look at the market to see if keeping them is worth the cost. The U.S. market gets Michelin PSS as will the European market will get the same tires, but they will be called PS3 in Europe.
Michelin set out to make a better tire and from what we've seen, has succeeded. The new Pilot Super Sport will once again put Michelin atop the UHP tire segment.

The lime: "We need time to see at what point they go from very warm and sticky to hot and greasy." is important, since many drivers will track their car with this tire, and this isn't a real summer tire. For instance, Hankook RS3 would give this tire that costs more a whooping on a 30-minute lapping session, but you have to remember that the RS3is not an all-season tire and probably sucks big time in wet.

My conclusion (and what Michelin was going after): Create the best all-around tire for high performance cars. All-round means required rain and cold capability, at the expense of dry traction, but 90% of drivers will not be able to notice this, especially on the street.

here is the link, it may be easier. http://mt.kargo.com/entry/view/id/53...4024f081992e86

Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Rep points for a very good article. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cannga
Rep points for a very good article. Thanks.
Thanks Cannga. I am now on my fourth month with the PSS and I like them better every day. I don't track so my experience is road only but all positive so far and i drive my tt every day In the end we all have to make our own informed choices. That's what I did, no regrets so far.
JS

Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Thanks for posting the article up Jersey. It confirms there was testing done on the 911 car which i guess in a way isn't a huge surprise given the new 991 will be wearing the new tire. It didn't however specify whether the PSS tires tested on the Porsche's were not N rated.....

My guess is they were N's as the new 991 is being released shortly therefore N would have been available for testing at that time as it was Michelin doing the testing themselves.

Going by what i was told during my recent investigations use of the non N PSS was not advised nor recommended over the PS2N for reasons given at that time. There is no point me elaborating as it will only bring about unnecessary arguing and spite (as it already has) but my guess is given the length of both these persons tenure in their positions they were certainly qualified to explain their recommendations. Not to say they (PSS non N) can't be used (if $$ was a major issue), but a non N was clearly explained why it is not the perfect shoe for the 911 chassis, hence being better to use what is even though it may be of an earlier design vintage. Made good sense to me. As you know i was also in the market for new tires (re my initial posts in your thread) and was certainly attracted by the price and glowing review of the PSS. Had i not made my own investigations and told what i was i would be taking the saving myself. I guess i must blame myself for enquiring with those in the know although in saying that it was kind of a relief in a way after also enquiring with Porsche and my insurance broker who both also concurred. Anyway se la vie...and as the new 991 is soon to released it will be only a matter of time before the N spec PSS is available to the general public. .

Last edited by speed21; 08-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
Thanks for posting the article up Jersey. It confirms there was testing done on the 911 car which i guess in a way isn't a huge surprise given the new 991 will be wearing the new tire. It didn't however specify whether the PSS tires tested on the Porsche's were not N rated.....

My guess is they were N's as the new 991 is being released shortly therefore N would have been available for testing at that time as it was Michelin doing the testing themselves.

Going by what i was told during my recent investigations use of the non N PSS was not advised nor recommended over the PS2N for reasons given at that time. There is no point me elaborating as it will only bring about unnecessary arguing and spite (as it already has) but my guess is given the length of both these persons tenure in their positions they were certainly qualified to explain their recommendations. Not to say they (PSS non N) can't be used (if $$ was a major issue), but a non N was clearly explained why it is not the perfect shoe for the 911 chassis, hence being better to use what is even though it may be of an earlier design vintage. Made good sense to me. As you know i was also in the market for new tires (re my initial posts in your thread) and was certainly attracted by the price and glowing review of the PSS. Had i not made my own investigations and told what i was i would be taking the saving myself. I guess i must blame myself for enquiring with those in the know although in saying that it was kind of a relief in a way after also enquiring with Porsche and my insurance broker who both also concurred. Anyway se la vie...and as the new 991 is soon to released it will be only a matter of time before the N spec PSS is available to the general public. .
Speed sorry it is very hard for you to accept the testing but it was done on the current PSS. There are other tests available also. Is it really so hard to believe that all tests and driver experiences point to this tire being better than the previous generation. That is what we should expect from a company like Michelin. Just because it's good, you don't have to buy it or accept the data until the N version comes out. By then I should be ready for another set.
JS

Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
Speed sorry it is very hard for you to accept the testing but it was done on the current PSS. There are other tests available also. Is it really so hard to believe that all tests and driver experiences point to this tire being better than the previous generation. That is what we should expect from a company like Michelin. Just because it's good, you don't have to buy it or accept the data until the N version comes out. By then I should be ready for another set.
JS
To the contrary Jersey. I have no issue at all with the test however it doesn't totally clear up my earlier question whether the PSS non N generic tires currently on offer had ever actually been tested on a 911 up against the PS2 N which was designed specifically for the 911 chassis. But i think we know the answer to that now knowing it was Michelin themselves conducting the test.

I think ive mentioned a few times now that it is logical that the later PSS tire design would be better than the earlier PS2. My point on the actual testing was to clarify wether the testers (who now we know was Michelin and not just anyone) used N spec PSS tires on the Porsche 911 cars, and not the generic "one type fits all" version PSS VS's the N spec PS2. In the same way it is also logical Michelin would have pitched the generic PSS version up against the generic PS2 version on the Audi as they don't need N's, ie: best to use the right variant to properly determine the best outcome comparison for that kind of chassis.

Knowing now that it was the manufacturer (Michelin) conducting the test between their own tires models (PSS and PS2) and, knowing that the manufacturer/s (Porsche and Michelin) advise fitment of the N spec tire only for the 911 (and not the non N generic PSS where an N spec is available for the car) it stands to reason they would not have used the non N PSS on the 911 cars during the comparison test. That way they would be able to make a an accurate assessment between both PSSN and PS2N spec'd tires.

Or, are you saying they would have just pitched the non N generic PSS up against the N series PS2 on the 911? I personally wouldn't have thought so given they don't recommend using non N tires on the 911. Correct me if you know otherwise but why would the Manufacturer test a non N tire up against an N tire on the same car when they have all the tires to draw upon? I mean they are the manufacturer and the test was a marketing excercise to produce the most accurate and compelling results applicable to the cars tested. Just saying....

Last edited by speed21; 08-18-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 AM
????

Old 08-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Banned
????
If you care to read over my previous posts and digest the content my points were all very basic and self explanatory..

Edit. Jersey i just re worded the last post so to make my point a little easier for you to understand.

Last edited by speed21; 08-18-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Speed
I'm not a 5th grader. I understand your post. I don't have to agree. Like I said previously it is really all about informed choices. I don't buy the no warranty issue when purchasing a high quality tire that is speed rated properly from the top Porsche oem manufacturer.
I chose this tire after much consideration and recommendation from the leading supplier of performance tires for our cars. I'm not the only one but it is still personal choice. I made mine. I don't have to re-read the post on the chance I might agree. This is my 8th P car and 4th turbo not exactly my 1st dance either. No bragging just fact. Good luck with your choices.
JS

Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Banned
Speed
I'm not a 5th grader. I understand your post. I don't have to agree. Like I said previously it is really all about informed choices. I don't buy the no warranty issue when purchasing a high quality tire that is speed rated properly from the top Porsche oem manufacturer.
I chose this tire after much consideration and recommendation from the leading supplier of performance tires for our cars. I'm not the only one but it is still personal choice. I made mine. I don't have to re-read the post on the chance I might agree. This is my 8th P car and 4th turbo not exactly my 1st dance either. No bragging just fact. Good luck with your choices.
JS
Didn't mean to offend you Jersey. Just saw all the ????? marks which indicated you were at a loss somewhere. No need to re read anything if there is no need.....thats perfectly fine. I also was quoted (by i think the same place as you bought yours from) for the PSS. I too look for savings where i can and was interested in the saving and the better performance being quoted over the PS2. FWIW i've still not bought anything yet but after acknowledging they were not an N spec tire did further due diligence and found insurance implications along with manufacturers recommendations regarding which was the better tire for the 911 car. So i have changed my mind and will forego the saving on the non N PSS. The way it looks the PSS N will be out very shortly so i may even wait for that but i was certainly not comfortable after hearing what i was told. There is no point in elaborating on that. Lets just agree to: Each to his own, no right or wrong...

Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough
Hi there

In regards to the recent Michelin Pilot SS test I can confirm they were *NOT* N-rated tyres, just the usual ones you can buy.

A personal friend I know attended the recent Michelin PR regards to these tyres and actually had a look to see if the 911's had N-rated versions and they were not.

Also here in the UK the Porsche Experience Centre which is a place you can go and push Porsches on track also wear none N-rated Michelin Pilot SS tyres.

To further back things up I've spoken to local Porsche dealerships here in the UK and asked the question can I fit none N-rated versions of the Michelin Super Sport as they are not n-rated yet and they said I could with no warranty implications and just advised I inform my insurance company.
The reason they can do this is because they say this tyre is now been fitted as standard to Porsche GT3 RS even though its none N-rated.

I firmly believe the MPSS is fine and that the n-rated version will be no different apart from an approval badge, because afterall this tyre was designed with the 911 in mind.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
I purchased my PSS through my local Porsche dealer just 3 weeks ago. They said "get them now before Porsche N rates them and the go up in price 30%". They sourced through Tire Rack for me. Long story, but I slashed a rear tire on a sharp piece of metal and Porsche Roadside Assistance brought the car to the dealer. No option but to buy through the dealer (same price though). I replaced all 4 tires.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
PSS as non N rated choice

N rating is an endorsement that Porsche engineers tuned the tires to work with a specific chassis. For example..the N spec Pilot Cups being a different tread depth and more mild mannered and compliant than the non N spec since they're sold as "street legal" on GT3/RS. So it's good sense to use N spec tires.

The Pilot Super Sport, which Michelin invited the world to try out on 911s (hello?) in Dubai, is not tuned to the 997.2 My guess is that Michelin worked with Porsche to N spec tires for the 991 (which has been spotted wearing Goodyears?) and the window was long closed to N spec the new Pilot Super Sport to the current car 1 year before its production run ends.

As far as using Non N spec tires. There are no safety issues implicated whatsoever (as long as the load ratings aren't too low). It's simply a question of whether you want to buy a tire tailored to your car or not. I got the Super Sports (I too contacted michelin about the N spec question). Advances in tire technology at a lower price is too good a proposition to pass up. Newly designed tires always move the game on in wet traction, ride quality etc...

The real definitive statement I logged on to make is this: I spoke with my dealer before getting these tires, and they indicated that the super sports are accepted on lease turn in vehicles and then resold as CPO cars with these tires. I hope that clarifies the issue of Porsche's "recommendations" regarding N spec tires.

Also, the car uses rears so fast, there will probably be an N spec super sport the next time I get new tires.

Regards,
DRP

Last edited by drspeed; 08-18-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by drspeed
N rating is an endorsement that Porsche engineers tuned the tires to work with a specific chassis. For example..the N spec Pilot Cups being a different tread depth and more mild mannered and compliant than the non N spec since they're sold as "street legal" on GT3/RS. So it's good sense to use N spec tires.

The Pilot Super Sport, which Michelin invited the world to try out on 911s (hello?) in Dubai, is not tuned to the 997.2 My guess is that Michelin worked with Porsche to N spec tires for the 991 (which has been spotted wearing Goodyears?) and the window was long closed to N spec the new Pilot Super Sport to the current car 1 year before its production run ends.

As far as using Non N spec tires. There are no safety issues implicated whatsoever (as long as the load ratings aren't too low). It's simply a question of whether you want to buy a tire tailored to your car or not. I got the Super Sports (I too contacted michelin about the N spec question). Advances in tire technology at a lower price is too good a proposition to pass up. Newly designed tires always move the game on in wet traction, ride quality etc...

The real definitive statement I logged on to make is this: I spoke with my dealer before getting these tires, and they indicated that the super sports are accepted on lease turn in vehicles and then resold as CPO cars with these tires. I hope that clarifies the issue of Porsche's "recommendations" regarding N spec tires.

Also, the car uses rears so fast, there will probably be an N spec super sport the next time I get new tires.

Regards,
DRP
Thanks Drspeed
Seems like we are saying similar things and you have brought the added value of dealer support of the tire. Seems like we have and will continue to have a great tire as the PS2 replacement. Thanks very much for the info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire choices on 2007 turbo