997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tire choices on 2007 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
since it's been said here by several (on both sides of this discussion), that most will never come even close to the tires limits on the street, what exactly are we guarding against?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by E55AMG
since it's been said here by several (on both sides of this discussion), that most will never come even close to the tires limits on the street, what exactly are we guarding against?
Amen

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Exactly. Some people are way too **** about these things.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
i wasn't trying to be sarcastic or a wise guy, i'm really curious what it is that could happen.

Personally, i've used both n spec and non n spec.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spf4000
Exactly. Some people are way too **** about these things.
Porsche's disciplines do get quoted as being "****". Maybe being so **** is what has made them so successful in the sports car world. It is perfectly understandable why some folks (insurer's, "some" owners etc) see disregarding such a successful and recognised company's own design principles and specific recommendations as foolish. Yes, with so many self proclaimed experts it can be difficult to make sense out of things at times. It's a very funny world we live in .

Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speed21
Porsche's disciplines do get quoted as being "****". Maybe being so **** is what has made them so successful in the sports car world. It is perfectly understandable why some folks (insurer's, "some" owners etc) see disregarding such a successful and recognised company's own design principles and specific recommendations as foolish. Yes, with so many self proclaimed experts it can be difficult to make sense out of things at times. It's a very funny world we live in .
Speed
Is that really what's being said and talked about in this thread. Are we all "disregarding all of the Porsche core principles" because some of us believe that in this case this a good example of a better than good alternative. Or is it possible that you may be exaggerating just to prove your point.
I'm done here. This was good debate and worth reading for the personal experiences not just opinions, now it's getting repetitive for me. JS signing off, thanks all.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by speed21
But here's the problem. If you're sticking with Porsche's recommendations to the minute details, then again, I question why you would put aftermarket parts on your car.

You say that Champion, Protomotive, etc. test their products on the actual car, which makes their product valid, but did they test them to the level that Porsche tests their products to ensure it meets their "****" standards? While I'm sure highly reputable places like Champion invest a considerable amount of money developing these parts, do you think they come even close to the amount that Porsche spends designing and testing out their components? Did Porsche give their official nod to these manufacturers and approved those parts for use? The answer is no. They are not officially sanctioned, and therefore do not meet the Porsche standards--yet you use their products.

I don't quite understand why you're taking such a hard line view on the PSS just because they do not officially have the N-rating designation when they were tested to be superior to the outgoing PS2s on multiple cars (including Porsches), as well as the OEM tire of choice for supercars that have gone through millions of dollars of R&D testing to ensure reliability.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
But here's the problem. If you're sticking with Porsche's recommendations to the minute details, then again, I question why you would put aftermarket parts on your car.

You say that Champion, Protomotive, etc. test their products on the actual car, which makes their product valid, but did they test them to the level that Porsche tests their products to ensure it meets their "****" standards? While I'm sure highly reputable places like Champion invest a considerable amount of money developing these parts, do you think they come even close to the amount that Porsche spends designing and testing out their components? Did Porsche give their official nod to these manufacturers and approved those parts for use? The answer is no. They are not officially sanctioned, and therefore do not meet the Porsche standards--yet you use their products.

I don't quite understand why you're taking such a hard line view on the PSS just because they do not officially have the N-rating designation when they were tested to be superior to the outgoing PS2s on multiple cars (including Porsches), as well as the OEM tire of choice for supercars that have gone through millions of dollars of R&D testing to ensure reliability.
Agree 100%, great post. Taking that thought a step further... an N Spec PS2 is apparently optimized by Michelin to Porsche's specifications. But, Porsche would be optimizing the tire for their OEM wheels, suspension, etc. All of their test data and adjustments would be based on their own hardware and software.

Change out even one of those items with an aftermarket part, and presumably you've thrown the whole "these things are optimized and engineered as a system for this specific car" argument out the window. Take wheels for instance. If you swap wheels for a different diameter, and/or different width, and/or different weight, and/or different offset, etc... the wheel/tire combo will absolutely react differently than the OEM configuration. So if the tire was optimized to the OEM wheel... you've inherently "de-optimized" the system. See how silly these debates can become?

And, if it's a warranty/insurance issue... is a claims adjuster going to take a hard-line stance on N spec tires being mandatory, but completely overlook aftermarket wheels installed on the car, if there's an issue? Please... If the guy/gal determining the validity of the claim is going to be a stickler right down to the tires, it's fair to assume they're going to take any reason for a denial - and aftermarket wheels would suffice.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Agree 100%, great post. Taking that thought a step further... an N Spec PS2 is apparently optimized by Michelin to Porsche's specifications. But, Porsche would be optimizing the tire for their OEM wheels, suspension, etc. All of their test data and adjustments would be based on their own hardware and software.

Change out even one of those items with an aftermarket part, and presumably you've thrown the whole "these things are optimized and engineered as a system for this specific car" argument out the window. Take wheels for instance. If you swap wheels for a different diameter, and/or different width, and/or different weight, and/or different offset, etc... the wheel/tire combo will absolutely react differently than the OEM configuration. So if the tire was optimized to the OEM wheel... you've inherently "de-optimized" the system. See how silly these debates can become?

And, if it's a warranty/insurance issue... is a claims adjuster going to take a hard-line stance on N spec tires being mandatory, but completely overlook aftermarket wheels installed on the car, if there's an issue? Please... If the guy/gal determining the validity of the claim is going to be a stickler right down to the tires, it's fair to assume they're going to take any reason for a denial - and aftermarket wheels would suffice.
Exactly. Wheel width and weight make a huge impact on tire/suspension performance. For example, the Exige fitted with the stock 7.5in width rear wheels shod with OEM 225/45/17 A048s has been shown to be a full second slower around a 1.5 mile track than when the same tires are fitted to 8in wide wheels, despite the wheels being a few pounds heavier on the wider wheel. And suspension is even more dramatic--up the spring rates/stiffen the dampeners and the force/time applied to the tires change drastically.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future

I think this sums it up perfectly.

Can we move on?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Michael_s
I think this sums it up perfectly.

Can we move on?
I do hope so. I asked for mods to outright lock the thread to stop the insanity back on page 2 as I saw we were just going to be running in circles

Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djben
I do hope so. I asked for mods to outright lock the thread to stop the insanity back on page 2 as I saw we were just going to be running in circles
We need to get back to the other pressing issues like brand and viscosity of oil or TPMS accuracy or why isn't the passenger window one touch up

Old 08-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
We need to get back to the other pressing issues like brand and viscosity of oil or TPMS accuracy or why isn't the passenger window one touch up
LMAO should I change my oil every 5K or 10K?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
AverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really niceAverageJoe is just really nice
LMAO should I change my oil every 5K or 10K?
And don't forget the blinker fluid.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by AverageJoe
And don't forget the blinker fluid.
Oh crap, thanks for the reminder. I'd better go check mine...

Phew, it was a quart low. Could have been catastrophic had you not reminded me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire choices on 2007 turbo