997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK, a loser???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
PDK, a loser???

Had my 6-speed 07 turbo repaired (loaner: PDK-boxer) & re-repaired correctly (loaner: PDK-panamera). The Panamera is an absoutely marvelous car...would buy one now as a 2dr coupe which would be a real match up with the classy short-lived 928 of the late 90's.
Found little difference in PDK from the oil driven automatic except maybe the manumatic is a bit more hesitant in take off and when shifts occur. This erratic shift-behavior can be dangerous especially in the manual shift mode, but shift patterns seems much more reliable/predictable in the PDK's automatic mode. I like the oil-driven automatic better. I guess if you coughed up $160K for a turbo S, you'd have to take the loss and try your best to learn to adjust to the manumatic's computer swings and enjoy the beastly-pdk as best you can. I thought with relief from 1-2 shift (& 2-3 shift)coming on so fast (thank goodness for rev-limiters) and high-cost resulting from a high-road speed panic-driven accidental 5th or 4th to 2nd misshift (rev-limiter useless)might be worth the change from manual to manumatic-PDK, but I don't think so now.
I just hope Porsche stays with the 6speed at least for high performance sport models, but with profit margin extraordinarily high with PDK, I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited by johnww; 08-14-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww

I just hope Porsche stays with the 6speed at least for high performance sport models, but with profit margin extraordinarily high with PDK, I wouldn't bet on it.
I'd bet that they retain the manual.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
I've had two Porsche's with manual and now a PDK. THe PDK is smooth and lightning fast. Can't speak to your experience.

I'll never go back to a manual. No more missed shifts and since it is a Porsche, when I really push it, I want it shifting as fast as possible!

Went down to Porsche Driving School a few months ago and the Porsche drivers agreed. PDK if you like speed.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thebland
I've had two Porsche's with manual and now a PDK. THe PDK is smooth and lightning fast. Can't speak to your experience.

I'll never go back to a manual. No more missed shifts and since it is a Porsche, when I really push it, I want it shifting as fast as possible!

Went down to Porsche Driving School a few months ago and the Porsche drivers agreed. PDK if you like speed.
I agree that PDK is here to stay and become a bigger piece of the future at Porsche. I went to the dealer to buy a 6-sp but walked out with a PDK-WOW. I am glad my sales person pushed me to drive a PDK car. Coming up through the gears is like firing a well oiled automatic weapon. In the past, I enjoyed the manual over the standard automatic transmissions, but the PDK is amazing. There is no learnng curve you just step on it and click away in manual mode. I find myself in automatic under normal crusing and the car is quick, responsive and a blast to pilot.

If you are a pure-ist that believes a Porsche should always have 3 pedals-I get it. But if you are all about perfomance-PDK is it-I think the numbers substantiate it well. I bet when manual guys re-up many of the manual guys will jump ship because the experience is just awesome.

Last edited by JSF721; 08-14-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 AM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
I have seen guys forget to put "both feet in" while in a spin on the track and stay in gear and spin the motor backwards only to jack up the motor. Anyone know on a pdk what you do if you spin? I assume like on a egear f430 you would pull both paddles inwards to go into N?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Slate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant future
Huh? PDK is here to stay, 6 speed is pretty much obsolete, plus have you seen the PDK times...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I havent had a manual car after my E39 M5. Horrible in the city, lovely on the highway.

I have driven a manual 997 carrera, tiptonic 997 tt and a PDK Panamera 4. I have to say the PDK was the thing that most surprised me, it is unbelievable even compared with the old faithful tiptronic that I liked. It is unbelievably smooth, quick and the gas mileage is awsome. Launch control also is fun.

I think manual gearboxes are history. Sorry to say this. EVO magazine said that from Panameras delivered to UK only 1 (one) car had a manual gearbox and that was Porsche UK:s own car. They, however, said that the manual car was even better than an E39 M5 as a pure drivers machine, so go figure.

Personally will never go back to a manual gearbox ever again. Maybe if I buy a track car like a GT3 or M3, I would consider a manual gearbox, but for pure everyday fun, never.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 PM
doncamero is infamous around these partsdoncamero is infamous around these parts
I also went to buy a 6 speed and the salesman talked me into the PDK. I thought I had better embrace the new technology and move into the way of the future of sports cars.
After a while, I realized that the PDK makes it too easy to be fast, all you do is step on the gas. I didn't feel connected to the car, that is was like being in a video game. I traded that one in and got a 6 speed the following year.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
CarreraTurbo is infamous around these parts
Johnww,

I agree with you 100%. I had Panamera for 8 month and sold it because of the PDK transmission. It was depressing to drive it because of the PDK's propensity to upshift to the 7 gear even at low speeds which discourages spirited driving. Even sport and sport plus modes felt artificial and worse than conventional automatics.

It is so surprising to hear, especially from former owners of manual Porsche cars on this forum, that they are happy with PDK. Yes, for the track PDK is great but in a speed- and traffic-limited everyday driving the manual selection/shifting of gears and the car's turning dynamics are the only joys of a sport car left in my view.

I am afraid that Porsche is following BMW's approach in marketing their brand - which is "please/sell to broadest customer base". I guess they think they will sell more cars this way. Well, there are many comfortable/soft/competent but boring cars on the road already. On the other hand whole world is moving to a lowest common denominator - so long live PDK. I am glad to be back to my 6 speed TT while they last.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
doncamaro and carreraturbo i too won't be giving my manual up in a hurry either....now or on my next Porsche. I reckon there are a number of enthusiasts that share the sentiment that a sports car needs a third pedal. Maybe we're a dying breed....dunno don't care. Fast is one thing but fun is another and pdk is simply way too clinical for me. Previously owned a 996 tip for a change and it got boring very fast. Couldn't wait to get out of it actually. Have driven pdk and the concept is basically the same. Doing less for more is not the same as less is more. Rationalising the issue I put it down to being able to go so fast so easily yet having no where to go, and if you can't get the speed the car so craves, which is most of time after you turn the on key, you basically have little else to do other than think of other ways to somehow enjoy the car by somehow extracting the feel out of the brilliant engineering. With overly restrictive speed limits, an overly vigilant revenue focussed LEO, the PDK has imho out tech'd itself and relegated what is without any doubt an extremely fast car into basically a rather boring clinical driving experience particularly in everyday driving situations. The turbo is already like owning a wild horse you can never let off the leash. The PDK just serves as a constant reminder that the leash is way too short and tight for the animal. Long live the manual!

Last edited by speed21; 08-15-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future

If you miss shifts (?), you should have the PDK.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speed21
doncamaro and carreraturbo i too won't be giving my manual up in a hurry either....now or on my next Porsche. I reckon there are a number of enthusiasts that share the sentiment that a sports car needs a third pedal. Maybe we're a dying breed....dunno don't care. Fast is one thing but fun is another and pdk is simply way too clinical for me. Previously owned a 996 tip for a change and it got boring very fast. Couldn't wait to get out of it actually. Have driven pdk and the concept is basically the same. Doing less for more is not the same as less is more. Rationalising the issue I put it down to being able to go so fast so easily yet having no where to go, and if you can't get the speed the car so craves, which is most of time after you turn the on key, you basically have little else to do other than think of other ways to somehow enjoy the car by somehow extracting the feel out of the brilliant engineering. With overly restrictive speed limits, an overly vigilant revenue focussed LEO, the PDK has imho out tech'd itself and relegated what is without any doubt an extremely fast car into basically a rather boring clinical driving experience particularly in everyday driving situations. The turbo is already like owning a wild horse you can never let off the leash. The PDK just serves as a constant reminder that the leash is way too short and tight for the animal. Long live the manual!
Ditto.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Terminator
If you miss shifts (?), you should have the PDK.
+1. There are some things schools can only show. The rest is up to the pupil.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Taking the emotion out of the argument, PDK beats the 6 speed in every coceivable way. I recalled at Porsche Driving school those with manuals down shifted to 3rd in sharp turns while PDK drivers could go to 2nd - this was a great advantage exiting the turn. So, more fun for me being faster. No wrestling with gear shifts or heal/toe. Too cumbersome, too slow which, for me, was less fun and a lesser connection to the car. I don't miss my manual 4S. But I understand the emotional connection to the 6 speed. Reminds me of the vinyl vs digital audio music argument.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned
Taking the emotion out of the argument, PDK beats the 6 speed in every coceivable way. I recalled at Porsche Driving school those with manuals down shifted to 3rd in sharp turns while PDK drivers could go to 2nd - this was a great advantage exiting the turn. So, more fun for me being faster. No wrestling with gear shifts or heal/toe. Too cumbersome, too slow which, for me, was less fun and a lesser connection to the car. I don't miss my manual 4S. But I understand the emotional connection to the 6 speed. Reminds me of the vinyl vs digital audio music argument.
No emotion. And i hear what you say on the speed and, (for some) while driving on a track. But how long have you owned the PDK? And how many days do you spend at the track out of the 365? And how many days are spent crawling in stop start traffic. Too many of those and there are better cars to drive in those lazy environments. Traffic is no place for a 997tt . Anyway report back after a year or two of ownership once the novelty has worn off and, after the misses has lost interest in driving it. In saying that i also accept there are manual guys and, auto guys. But at one point it may/will dawn on you. Long live the manual. Thanks Porsche!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK, a loser???