997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2012 Turbo S now or wait for the 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
My 2cents Steve;
The S models are usually relative bargains, all the good stuff in a nice, exclusive package. I often kick myself for not buying a 05 tts back in 05 when I had the chance for thousands off.
Imo the 991 will not be as good as the 997, it will have a longer wheelbase and be a victim of tighter smog and noise laws (esp from europe).
This is the first version of a 911 that really doesn't even look like a 911 anymore, think cayman mated with a panamara.
It is doubtful that with all the new regulations coming down the pike, that you will match the 2.9 0-60 or the 7:31 ring time of a tts, that's a tall order.
I had the same predicament and went with the tts now, as a new turbo is doubtful for at least 2 years.
One possibility would be to take a 997s 2 yr lease now (they have a special), dump the 07tt and lease, then lease a 991tt if that's what you really want, even consider leasing the tts for 2-3 yrs instead to bide your time. The price tag on such a 991tt will be approaching 200k, that's where I draw the line. This tts is likely my last new 911.
I'm so glad I bought my 930, it's amazing how far away porsche has gotten from the purity of that car. Had I known it would fall into my lap I probably would have passed on the tts and leased something else, oh well now I'm 'stuck' with two turbos!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Guys its too early to jump to any conclusions just yet IMHO. When the new 991tt hits the deck it'll date the 997tt NO question! Some saying little different etc have underestimated just how much more up to date the new car actually is...and will more so present in the flesh along side the 997tt. Some saying how much better can Porsche make the 911 should remember just what happened to their beloved 996 after their first drive of the 997. I recall my first drive and boy was their a difference and a half. My 996 never felt or looked the same again. I agree the move to more electronic aids such as electric steering and handbrake are in ways negatives but lets just see. Better get your pennies ready just in case .

Old 08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Guys its too early to jump to any conclusions just yet IMHO. When the new 991tt hits the deck it'll date the 997tt NO question! Some saying little different etc have underestimated just how much more up to date the new car actually is...and will more so present in the flesh along side the 997tt. Some saying how much better can Porsche make the 911 should remember just what happened to their beloved 996 after their first drive of the 997. I recall my first drive and boy was their a difference and a half. My 996 never felt or looked the same again. I agree the move to more electronic aids such as electric steering and handbrake are in ways negatives but lets just see. Better get your pennies ready just in case .
plus 1 on this...

Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The big difference Btwn the 996>997 vs the 997>991 are the new carbon footprint laws and emission/noise regulations . These could easily result in a lesser performing car.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The big difference Btwn the 996>997 vs the 997>991 are the new carbon footprint laws and emission/noise regulations . These could easily result in a lesser performing car.
Cmon Chris. Porsche making a lesser performing car? Now THAT I would need to see to believe. They have never made a lesser performing car. All Porsches are good, just look at that early beast of yours. But the new 911 will be top of the tree.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Cmon Chris. Porsche making a lesser performing car? Now THAT I would need to see to believe. They have never made a lesser performing car. All Porsches are good, just look at that early beast of yours. But the new 911 will be top of the tree.
+1, the 991TT will trump the 997Turbos in all departments no doubt, but i would still pick the 997TTS, cause the next TT is at least 2 years away.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 08-19-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
+1, the 991TT will trump the 997Turbos in all departments no doubt, but i would still pick the 997TTS, cause the next TT is at least 2 years away.
Yeh. If I'd just recently bought a tts I wouldn't be feeling too bad. At least it ties you over till the new model TT arrives. Its true you're gonna take a bath at one point but don't you always with these type of cars? I think if I was looking at buying a TTS right now the 991 has official photos out it,d want to be at very cheap price. Else you may as well wait for a 991 carrera and drive it for 12 months and trade that on the 991tt.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Yeh. If I'd just recently bought a tts I wouldn't be feeling too bad. At least it ties you over till the new model TT arrives. Its true you're gonna take a bath at one point but don't you always with these type of cars? I think if I was looking at buying a TTS right now the 991 has official photos out it,d want to be at very cheap price. Else you may as well wait for a 991 carrera and drive it for 12 months and trade that on the 991tt.
yep, the 991 carrera won`t lose much value till the 991TT arrives and it´s even similar looking to a TT when the new wing is deployed:

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Banned
You're quite right. If you didn't have Porsche at the moment then i'd would definitely wait for 991 over the tts. A 991c2s would be a sweet ride, totally current and easier to $hift out of come sell time when 991tt arrives. Looks awesome. Oh well I better get my own bath ready.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Tough decision. There is one thing I would never assume, that's an older stock 911 being faster than a newer one in any performance category. i hate to say it, but your money is much safer is the GT3, GT2 or GT2RS.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I think I read somwhere that the shortest ownership of a Porsche is with the gt3. People buy them without really knowing what they are buying. Dont mean that is your case.991 is out now and full of new technology, if you can, I would wait. If you cant wait, as it might not come until 2013, I would try to get a REALLY good price, or walk away.

You loose money every time you make the move. Think about how the 996 tts looks now vs a 997 tt. There is a big difference although it might not seem like that now.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:40 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
"The price tag on such a 991tt will be approaching 200k, that's where I draw the line. This tts is likely my last new 911."

You are lucky, even now the 997 tts costs 400 000 dollars for us in Finland. Enjoy your 200k !!! =)

I have to disagree with the suspision that the 991tt will be lesser than a 997tt. In sedans like the AMG 55, little by the way of performance has come, you are right in that. This may be the case in the smallest carrera 2. However, in super sportcars, it is all about power and you blowing away opponents. Look at the Mclaren mp4-12c (what a disaster for a name, had to check it before writing), little faster than the rest. 991tt will beat that again. =)

Old 08-20-2011, 03:03 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
First year production glitches.........get the TTS and wait for the 991TTS........

Cheers,

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
As much as I love my 997 Turbo, sadly I have to agree with you on this. Another important change of 991 is the longer wheelbase and and the move of the engine forward 3-4 inches (more mid engine like). IMHO this forward move of the engine will have significant effect on the handling of the car. For sure, it will make it better.

That said, two things about our 997 Turbo that makes it a forever car LOL:
1. Manual transmission - might not be available in the future.
2. Mezger engine - enough said.
I am keeping my 997 Turbo if/when I add my next Porsche - hopefully Porsche is smart enough to release a GT3-like Cayman/Boxster by then. I will probably option it with PDK too. (Anyone here if you have a chance takes a Cayman to the limits - you *will* be amazed by the handling. Stock suspension setting understeers and a little too soft still, but the chassis dynamics is remarkable.)

For OP: 991 non Turbo versus 997 Turbo is a tough call. Nothing will ever feel like a Turbo. My vote: Used 997 Turbo for now, then new 991 Turbo in 3 years or so. Also, I notice that you have a GT3: have you test driven a Turbo? If not, be forewarned, you might be very disappointed with the handling. Turbo is better daily driver and a 2+2 as you mentioned, and does leave the GT3 in the dust when it comes to straight line acceleration, but as expected its handling is nowhere near the level of the GT3. There is a *huge* difference in the handling feel of the 2 cars. This is why I had to stiffen my Turbo with Bilstein, otherwise I would have traded it in for a GT3 or GT2.

Last edited by cannga; 08-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by cannga
As much as I love my 997 Turbo, sadly I have to agree with you on this. Another important change of 991 is the longer wheelbase and and the move of the engine forward 3-4 inches (more mid engine like). IMHO this forward move of the engine will have significant effect on the handling of the car. For sure, it will make it better.

That said, two things about our 997 Turbo that makes it a forever car LOL:
1. Manual transmission - might not be available in the future.
2. Mezger engine - enough said.
Yes it's a reality Can. Looks like there is a bullet to be bitten not too long off unfortunately. No way around it. Damn. But has it ever been any different?

I will always have a soft spot for the 997tt (it's a truly great car) but as per usual with porsche they will pretty well have you screwed the moment they throw you the keys for a test drive....and they know it. My philosophy is; if you don't have the coin then best don't drive it under any circumstances. It can ruin things .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 Turbo S now or wait for the 991?