997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2012 Turbo S now or wait for the 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 PM
trips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to behold
2012 Turbo S now or wait for the 991?

Hey Guys,

Picked up my 2010 GT3 last year and love it, but really am not somebody who can get to the track often and regret not being able to bring my kids along for a ride. AWD also gives me the option of driving the car in the winter. I also miss tinkering with a car, something very difficult to do with the GT3. Hence, my decision to move to the turbo.

There's a build available at my local dealer for a 2012 Turbo S and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and just take it. Would u guys do the same, or wait for the new turbo to come out in a year or so.

Thanks for your opinions!
_Tom

Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
I purchased the TTS and am very happy with the car. If you are not happy with the current car, I would purchase the TTS without hesitation. Life is too short to wait 2-3yrs for the next TT to show up in the U.S.
Just my .2

Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
You should get it now.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Smile I did it!

I had the same decision to make, only I had an 09 C4S, and my dealer called and advised a slot opened up.
Back in 86 I had a Turbo and have missed it since I sold it in 89. I had four different C4Ss since then but still missed the punch of the turbo.
I committed to the slot and ordered the TTS. Build date is Sept. 25th.
I think it will be one of the last Turbo Ss for many years and with the government trying to keep us out of fun cars it will be a special car for me.
I do believe "Life is very very short and I don't ever want to say, I wish I would have"

Old 08-17-2011, 05:32 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
I'm in the same predicament (2012 997TTS Coupe on Order), but the difference is that I have my 07 997TT until June of 2012 (unless I buy it at the end of the lease). The 997TTS is an awesome machine, but we truly have nothing to compare it to. We know absolutely nothing 100% for sure about the 991TT. I need to make a decision this week if I'm going to give up my Nov. build slot for the 2012 997TTS Coupe. I like how the 991 looks on the outside, but it seems a bit too panameraesque on the inside (too luxurious?). Bottom line question is will a loaded 2013 991TT (ceramics, PDK, blah blah) be a superior overall performer to a 2012 997TTS ? Will it have 550 hp ? Will it have 575 hp ? Will it have torque vectoring ? Will it have launch control ? The 2012 997TTS Coupe I built has an MSRP of around $172K. What will a loaded 991TT price out at ? I have alot of questions, but no information.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I am in the same situation as well. Having seen some official pics of the 991, I think I will move forward with the TTS. Just makes sense. I think it will be late 2013, early 2014 but the new Turbo would be widely available. I don't want to wait that long. I have two dealers with available builds. I am going to drive one this week. Also going to visit the Ferrari dealer. Still thinking about a California.

J

Old 08-17-2011, 06:33 PM
The California is a beautiful car (as are most F cars save the rear of the FF) and I would likely take it over a 2012 997TTS cab. unless I was using the car as a DD (which I am). Even if the 991TT will be available by fall 2012 as a 2013 model it doesn't resolve the question of whether a loaded 2013 991TT will be a better performer than the 2012 997TTS. We just need some basic information from Porsche NA. I'm not sure what the total run of TTS coupes will be, but it can't be a small figure as the TTS is generally a 1 year run and here Porsche is producing a TTS into a second year. If we could do a 1 year lease on a 2012 TTS while we wait for the 991TT to be introduced it would be sweet.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
The TTS would not be a daily driver. I have a 2012 Cayenne Turbo for that duty. Cali would see some fall, spring and very rare winter driving. Would be more frequent during summer. I live in a rural area. Not much stop and go traffic.

J

Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Well if you want my opinion - the 997.2 platform is the last true Sports Car one. The new 991 seems more GT to me and while I have nothing but respect for Porsche pushing the envelope I think it does not get much better then it is right now. The product is at its more refined period ever!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
seeing the new 991's on this site, and you might have just as much fun if not more in a turbo S....gheez, they didnt change at all in my eyes...I guess i was expect more of a drastic change...

Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Me too...Which, in all honesty, is a good thing since I am considering a TTS.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM
If your buying I think its easier to just pull the trigger now. If you buy you can always sell the 997TTS (probably take a serious depreciation hit as it appears that many TTS coupes were produced). If your like me and you do a 4 year lease (I'm a DD and will put approx. 12K miles per year on her) this is a major decision that I'll be forced to live with long after the 991TT comes out. The choices are: 1. to just give up my Nov. build slot and wait until June 2012 when the lease is up. I would have no TT after June, 2012 until the 991TT arrived; 2. I can accept the 2012 997TTS Nov. build and Porsche will take over my 07 997TT lease payments through June 2012 (maybe 7 months or so). When I went from my 03 996TTX50 6 spd. to my 07 997TT tip the change was radical. The 997 was faster and had a better interior (ie. real cup holders). If the 991 is a radical step up in performance and interior finish from the 991 I will be bummed that I didn't go TT less for a few months waiting for the 991. You would think with thousands of members all around the world that some 6Speeder would know an insider who can give people like us on the fence some substantive guidance.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
trips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to beholdtrips is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for all the responses guys, this has helped. In terms of performance, wow how can u really improve on a sub 3-sec 0-60? Also seeing the new pics of the 991, the exterior change is not radical. So, I'll probably move forward with the turbos. I'll try and post my build later to see if there's anything I'm missing.

Thanks again.
_Tom

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Can you guys clarify a point thad has been made by some posters......Is there a limited number of TTS being built? If so, what are the reasons? New to Porsche, so had no idea of these facts before owning my car.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Go for the TTS. You won't be disappointed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 Turbo S now or wait for the 991?