997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Heavy Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Heavy Clutch Pedal

2008 TT - If the car has been sitting for a couple of days, depressing the clutch for the first time when starting is very difficult. Once the car has started, depressing the clutch returns to normal. Never have had any problems with the clutch but recently had the brake fluid flushed so I'm wondering if the new symptoms are related. Brake resourvoir is full. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
get her into the dealer ASAP before it strands you. common problem with the assisted clutch on the turbo, Ive had mine fixed 2 or 3 times now....annoying.

check the pentosin level under the frunk, may be low due to a leak (not necessarily visible on the floor either). Couple parts might have failed or failing, slave cylinder is one of them, forget the other.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Search for clutch accumulator, slave, etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
OneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud of
I had it happen on my 996. The slave will need to be replaced. You are under warranty so no problem.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Damn, experiencing the same thing -heavy pedal when first starting the car.

Had the slave replaced under warranty close to 2 years ago.

what is the cost out of warranty?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
They may offer good faith fix, we should all file complaints, this is very common and should be recall.. Porsche seem to treat it as a wear item. I'm doing gt2 conversion if mine goes out again.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
def clutch accumulator.
it should be good willed'

Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
def clutch accumulator.
it should be good willed'
will they recognize the sachs 2.5 clutch? i think my warranty expired in May and I now have 52,000 miles.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
will they recognize the sachs 2.5 clutch? i think my warranty expired in May and I now have 52,000 miles.
I'd be very surprised if they blow you off. Worse case they would provide the parts and maybe minimize the labour bill or split it. It's worth a push.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
2008 TT - If the car has been sitting for a couple of days, depressing the clutch for the first time when starting is very difficult. Once the car has started, depressing the clutch returns to normal. Never have had any problems with the clutch but recently had the brake fluid flushed so I'm wondering if the new symptoms are related. Brake resourvoir is full. Thanks.
If you haven't already had you clutch slave and accumulator changed out then i'd get it looked at. If you have then I probably wouldn't worry too much if all looks good on the clutch master reservoir level and there are no sgns of overflow. Just check it's on or below the max level mark. I had a similar thing happen a while back where the clutch pedal went very stiff on the first depress to start the car, but the car had been standing for a week or so. It did strike me as odd as I'd stood the car up for similar periods without that happening but after checking the level it all looked fine and it hasn't done it since thankfully. I put it down to possibly that I depressed the clutch pedal to select 1st gear after the engine was switched off. Usually I select first gear before switch off. So maybe the pressure in the accumulator bled off a bit so there was no assist when I next started the car. You will see in the owners manual that they say don't press the clutch pedal with the engine not running. Stands to reason that if you do, the pressure in the accumulator will bleed off and there will be a stiff pedal prior to start.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
If you haven't already had you clutch slave and accumulator changed out then i'd get it looked at. If you have then I probably wouldn't worry too much if all looks good on the clutch master reservoir level and there are no sgns of overflow. Just check it's on or below the max level mark. I had a similar thing happen a while back where the clutch pedal went very stiff on the first depress to start the car, but the car had been standing for a week or so. It did strike me as odd as I'd stood the car up for similar periods without that happening but after checking the level it all looked fine and it hasn't done it since thankfully. I put it down to possibly that I depressed the clutch pedal to select 1st gear after the engine was switched off. Usually I select first gear before switch off. So maybe the pressure in the accumulator bled off a bit so there was no assist when I next started the car. You will see in the owners manual that they say don't press the clutch pedal with the engine not running. Stands to reason that if you do, the pressure in the accumulator will bleed off and there will be a stiff pedal prior to start.

Thanks for the info. I don't remember reading anything about not depressing the clutch pedal with the engine not running...you have to depress it to start the engine.

]

Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 AM
nevert00fast is infamous around these partsnevert00fast is infamous around these parts
My '08 has done it ever since it was new, but only when the car has been sitting for a few days and once the car is running it goes back to normal. I also had the clutch accumulator replaced twice by the dealer when the car was about 1 year old. The symptoms I had when the accumulator failed was the clutch pedal would have uneven pedal pressure and the pedal would sometime only come back half way. Eventually the pedal would just stay stuck to the floor and the car had to be towed to the dealer. You'll see low clutch fluid if there's a problem. After the accumulator was replaced the second time 2 years ago, I still get the heavy clutch pedal after the car's been sitting.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Thanks for the info. I don't remember reading anything about not depressing the clutch pedal with the engine not running...you have to depress it to start the engine.

]
Yes the cluch pedal must be depressed to start the engine but if you havent pumped the pedal after shutdown the pressure is there for when you next depress the pedal at startup the next day. Normally you shouldn't lose all the accumulator pressure assist just on one pump of the pedal after shutdown but if the pedal is pumped a couple of times after the engine is switchd off the pressure is used up and the pedal goes hard. Try it and you will see. It's in the manual somewhere not to pump the pedal with the engine not running. It's not recommended. I imagine if the car is left idle for a week or so the pressure will eventually bleed off so the engine needs to be started to re build the pressure in the accumulator. As i said the pedal has only ever gone hard on me the once after the car was not driven for a week or so but it's been fine since. I think if it does it all the time and you havent been pumping the pedal after shutdown or parking the car up for prolonged periods then you have a problem in the accumulator or slave.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Update - thanks for all the great advice. Took the car in this morning and dealer R&R AS Pressure ACCU (part # 997-314-166-00) - no cost - CPO warranty covered.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Jake's Oy is infamous around these partsJake's Oy is infamous around these parts
How does one check the clutch fluid? My clutch randomly gets pretty stiff at times. It always returns to correct position promptly though. My car is an 07 and as a result out of warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heavy Clutch Pedal