997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fender well intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Yes, definitely some obstruction going on but not clear how much it impacts IATs.
It would be helpful to see how IATs were altered before and after installing the intakes. I know that there is a significant drop off with OEM 996TT intercoolers when you remove the guide duct. It would be interesting if tuners could show IAT differences with their setup.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 is infamous around these parts
With so many 8-9-1000hp Proto cars running a fenderwell setup, I cannot see there being any measurable differance. Especially since the filter is round.

In the MKIV supra over half of the intercooler is covered by the Bumper beam and bumper (in stock config) I never heard of anyone having Lower intake temps because they swapped it for some Rice-a-roni Body kit that had the whole IC exposed.

What does a fenderwell intake setup cost?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
I recently upgraded to Evoms turbo inlet ducts and they attach right to my Fabspeed Cold air intake cones- I feel that the car boost harder and allows a ton of air flow because those cone filters are have air ducts from my deck-lid facing them, spooling cold air straight into the turbo - minus the fender well setup blocking some flow to the intercoolers that tend to get heat soak quickly... I took a quick pic from my blackberry so you can understand how it flows straight into the turbo, I put a red dot on the inlet pipes from my laser pointer- hope this helps, it seems to be a good set-up

Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Etahgnimusnoc is infamous around these parts
Subscribed.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 AM
A448PO is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by salerno713
I recently upgraded to Evoms turbo inlet ducts and they attach right to my Fabspeed Cold air intake cones- I feel that the car boost harder and allows a ton of air flow because those cone filters are have air ducts from my deck-lid facing them, spooling cold air straight into the turbo - minus the fender well setup blocking some flow to the intercoolers that tend to get heat soak quickly... I took a quick pic from my blackberry so you can understand how it flows straight into the turbo, I put a red dot on the inlet pipes from my laser pointer- hope this helps, it seems to be a good set-up

EvoMS pipes install in way like a stock pipes? I think your variant better for Russia

Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
If you're still running VTG turbos then you can also run our carbon fiber turbo inlet pipes.

In my opinion blocking the air to your intercoolers is just a bad idea. I understand that there are certain types of turbo setups that have to do this because of their design, but if you can avoid it, I would.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Those CF ones are beautiful but twice the cost of a fenderwell intake and almost 3 times as much as the EVOMS one. But if I win the lottery I'll take a set! Too bad I was too slow on pulling the trigger on that used set.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Those CF ones are beautiful but twice the cost of a fenderwell intake and almost 3 times as much as the EVOMS one. But if I win the lottery I'll take a set! Too bad I was too slow on pulling the trigger on that used set.
Well here's the way I see it.

Fenderwell intakes. You'll pay good money for intercoolers and then block them with an intake. Counterproductive. Depending on what turbos you're running, they will be sucking a TREMENDOUS amount of air into the compressor at boost. Air that will no longer be hitting your intercoolers. It's not just the physical blockage that's the issue, it's the fact that the turbo will be using most, if not all, of the air anyway.

EVOMS parts. Don't know much about them, but last I heard they weren't readily available. They're also 3 pieces, with silicon hoses. Not quite the same.

Ours are 100% handmade carbon, CAD designed for consistent inner circumference all the way through, and 1 piece all the way from your turbo to the airbox/MAF's. Unfortunately the engineering and production we put into them carries a pricetag. But when you consider the cost involved in getting your car to a power level where you actually need new inlets, they become well worth the investment.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 AM
A448PO is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Well here's the way I see it.

Fenderwell intakes. You'll pay good money for intercoolers and then block them with an intake. Counterproductive. Depending on what turbos you're running, they will be sucking a TREMENDOUS amount of air into the compressor at boost. Air that will no longer be hitting your intercoolers. It's not just the physical blockage that's the issue, it's the fact that the turbo will be using most, if not all, of the air anyway.

EVOMS parts. Don't know much about them, but last I heard they weren't readily available. They're also 3 pieces, with silicon hoses. Not quite the same.

Ours are 100% handmade carbon, CAD designed for consistent inner circumference all the way through, and 1 piece all the way from your turbo to the airbox/MAF's. Unfortunately the engineering and production we put into them carries a pricetag. But when you consider the cost involved in getting your car to a power level where you actually need new inlets, they become well worth the investment.
With your pipes can i install stock air box or your have special cones?

I have mafless software,maybe your can made pipes with out place for mac

Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by A448PO
With your pipes can i install stock air box or your have special cones?

I have mafless software,maybe your can made pipes with out place for mac
Our carbon pipes install directly in the place of the factory pipes, so you can use the stock airbox without any issues. If you're currently using a MAF-less setup, you should have no problems as long as your current setup is OK.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Before becoming too critical of Proto's fenderwell set-up especially since there is no hard data to back any of the speculations, there are many very high powered vehicles running around with this set-up as mentioned. If you look at the "wings" on these ICs, they are there to "seal" the ICs to the chassis, to maximize flow through the coolers. Again, the "obstruction" by the filter is believed to have minimal effect but I'm not aware of any quantitative data but knowing Todd K, he mostly likely tested this.

The Champion stuff looks very nice but how do you know those would be more efficient than a Fenderwell intake? Just by appearance? Heck it sits right next to a hot engine plus it goes from wide up top and significantly narrows midway. Does that make sense? Or is it done to accomodate physical constraints on the engine compartment? Looks to me like that could cause quite a bit of turbulence plus look at that 90 deg angle going into the compressor? Are you saying that is ideal too? Nothing seems perfect but I'm not convinced the Champion intake could handle the flow of a bigger turbo like a GT30. All speculation of course.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TTdude

The Champion stuff looks very nice but how do you know those would be more efficient than a Fenderwell intake? Just by appearance? Heck it sits right next to a hot engine plus it goes from wide up top and significantly narrows midway. Does that make sense? Or is it done to accomodate physical constraints on the intake pipe? Looks to me like that would cause a lot of turbulence plus look at the angle going into the compressor? Are you saying that is ideal too? Nothing seems perfect but I'm not convinced the Champion intake could handle the flow of a bigger turbo like a GT30. All speculation of course.

A couple of points I want to clarify. The physical obstruction is only part of the inefficiency. The other thing you have to consider is that when a turbocharger like a GT30 is at 20psi of boost, it requires a certain volume of intake air. I'm sure Garrett could provide compressor maps that would show exactly how much. Now besides the fact that the filter is physically blocking the intercooler, it's also consuming X amount of air. Whatever is left is used to cool the intercooler. Now, I DO understand that our carbon intake pipes can't compete with a fenderwell intake in terms of simply having access to the highest volume of air, but they DO work MUCH better then factory intake pipes for the application they're intended...VTG turbos.

As for your comment above...we don't design any of our parts by "appearance". Show me anyone who is as public with their R&D as we are. There are very few companies in this business that even do as much R&D as we do. The carbon intake pipes were carefully designed in CAD to maximize the internal volume the entire way up to the airbox. (see pictures below) Yes, in certain areas there are constraints due to space, but in those areas, the pipe may "pancake" slightly but you'll notice that whenever that happens, their cross-section increases as much as possible. The carbon material also doesn't retain heat nearly as much as plastic or metal...so heat has not been an issue.

Obviously this topic stirs all sorts of emotions, but you have to keep one thing in mind. Our pipes are designed to work on VTG equipped cars, NOT GT series turbos. Apples vs Oranges. The only point I'm trying to make is that from an efficiency standpoint, intakes in the fenderwell are simply not an optimal setup...I don't see how anyone could argue that. And at the risk of sound a bit c0cky....I think our turbo setups are pretty darn efficient considering the fact that they outperform larger GT turbo-based high horsepower setups you mentioned above, but with much less power.

Attached Images    
Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I think our turbo setups are pretty darn efficient considering the fact that they outperform larger GT turbo-based high horsepower setups you mentioned above, but with much less power.
with all due respect, where exactly VTG setups outperform the GT turbo setups? I did not see that in 4 VTG and 2 GT setups I've tried on my car.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by besiktas
with all due respect, where exactly VTG setups outperform the GT turbo setups? I did not see that in 4 VTG and 2 GT setups I've tried on my car.
Look at the 60-130 rankings or talk to KerCar or Whiteknight.

5.50 seconds 60-130 is faster then quite a few GT turbo cars.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I never meant to imply that you guys design by appearance only and don't do R&D. I think everyone who follows your posts would agree. Your stuff does have the "pop" factor. My entire point was that based on the appearance of the fenderwell intake there was an assumption/implication made that the design was sub-optimal. Maybe it is but compared to what? That is the more important question. There is also no supporting data other than the builds that come out of Proto for very high HP cars, which btw, deliver the goods with this fenderwell set-up day after day even under extremely hot conditions like Kuwait and other regions of the Middle East.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fender well intake