997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Fender well intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Meh...

I'll bet it doesn't attract any attention by being so quiet.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
As far as knowing if your inlet piping is choking flow, you can check static pressure at the inlet and see how much vacuum there is -the more vacuum the worse. FWIW, there isn't much pressure drop on 3 feet of 2.5" pipe with some decent bends up to ~450hp worth of airflow. That said, very few cars are engineered with dedicated intercooler ducts that perform as well as those on our cars and unless you are going for BIG power for short durations, I would take a little extra pressure drop from good pipes following conventional routing rather than give up a substantial amount of IC air.
Earl, it's well documented that the stock inlet pipes on the 996tt were a bottleneck. I believe it was either AWD or USP that showed the before and after dyno by just changing the inlet pipes on the 996tt. Have you seen anything for the 997tt or have any estimate what the limit is for the stock turbo inlet pipes on the 997tt?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by twturbo
The guys at BBI in Huntington Beach CA did mine & i love it ,i have upgraded vtg's ,they put the removable socks on which can be changed easily when they get dirty.Def a better bang for your buck than the inlet pipes imho for the guys running a maffless tune.

Your intakes look like they dont block the intercooler duct at all? Is this true???

Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I'll bet it doesn't attract any attention by being so quiet.
Yes...subtle...very very subtle.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:14 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpoolnV8
Your intakes look like they dont block the intercooler duct at all? Is this true???
Nope, I've seen earlier pics of these ( or similar ones ) and they're completely outside of IC ducting. IIRC there's a thread somewhere in 6speed about those...

Something I've planned for my 996.

IMO you shouldn't steal any amount of air from IC's. CMS pipes seem to be a well thought solution for ( VTG ) inlets, the cross-section of pipes is significantly larger than OEM's and the material is almost immune to heat soak.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
What kind of difference did you notice before and after the BBI inlet setup? Does it sound different (i.e. is there a lot more noise from it)? Can you PM me the approx price. Does the engine have to be dropped to remove the old plumbing before putting these on?
The Bogg
Yes you can def hear them sucking air,not obnoxious or noisy at all & quicker boost response for sure this thing hits really hard . No need to drop the motor if your willing to sacrifice your stock inlet pipes by cutting them,these things are cheap to replace compared to dropping the motor,i actually still have them on there just cut off right before the filters so there still blowing air on the filters.Cost was about half that of the CMS inlets.

Spollinv8
Your right no they don't block the IC that much & no cutting was involved of the fender well liners.The guys at BBI did an awesome job designing them as with all there stuff ,i know the toughest part was where they connect to the VTG' turbos it's made out of a solid piece of some kinda plastic i believe.

Last edited by twturbo; 08-27-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor

Spollinv8
Your right no they don't block the IC that much & no cutting was involved of the fender well liners.The guys at BBI did an awesome job designing them as with all there stuff ,i know the toughest part was where they connect to the VTG' turbos it's made out of a solid piece of some kinda plastic i believe.
Looks like this is possible because you are running stock intercoolers. I think with the 4.5-5" thick cores the area you are using for the filter is being occupied by the bigger intercoolers.

OT... Looks good with the painted lowers and Gray wheels

Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpoolnV8
Looks like this is possible because you are running stock intercoolers. I think with the 4.5-5" thick cores the area you are using for the filter is being occupied by the bigger intercoolers.

OT... Looks good with the painted lowers and Gray wheels
his intecoolers are Champions 3.5", they are def. not stock but not 4.5-5" ICs.

BBI did an awesome job on it.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yllwturbo
his intecoolers are Champions 3.5", they are def. not stock but not 4.5-5" ICs.

BBI did an awesome job on it.
That's correct see my signature I'm runnig Chappion 3.5 IC

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Former Vendor
That's correct see my signature I'm runnig Chappion 3.5 IC
Gotcha, well the work def looks great! I just got my Champion intercoolers in the mail on Friday. Still didnt crack open the box though to see there size.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
The Bogg
Yes you can def hear them sucking air,not obnoxious or noisy at all & quicker boost response for sure this thing hits really hard . No need to drop the motor if your willing to sacrifice your stock inlet pipes by cutting them,these things are cheap to replace compared to dropping the motor,i actually still have them on there just cut off right before the filters so there still blowing air on the filters.Cost was about half that of the CMS inlets.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Is it easy enough to take off the cap to clean the airfilter?
I know you have a bunch of mods on your car, but were you able to assess the effects of just the inlet pipes or were they done when you had the turbos upgraded or other mods done?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Is it easy enough to take off the cap to clean the airfilter?
I know you have a bunch of mods on your car, but were you able to assess the effects of just the inlet pipes or were they done when you had the turbos upgraded or other mods done?
Yes you can get to them easily enough once you remove the wheel & liner i have the socks on to keep them clean & from getting wet although i don't drive in the rain anyway.I did do those independently from other mods except for switching to a maffless tune & there's def a noticeable gain .

Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Good to know, thanks. I have the same turbos as you but unfortunately no E85. I'm going to try it MAFless this week when I get a chance, just trying to figure out what to put on the end of the harness when it's just dangling, lol.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Sorry - one last question (or 2, lol): are the "socks" something you came up with or are they part of the purchase? If they prevent the filter from getting wet do they impede air flow a bit?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Well here's the way I see it.

Fenderwell intakes. You'll pay good money for intercoolers and then block them with an intake. Counterproductive. Depending on what turbos you're running, they will be sucking a TREMENDOUS amount of air into the compressor at boost. Air that will no longer be hitting your intercoolers. It's not just the physical blockage that's the issue, it's the fact that the turbo will be using most, if not all, of the air anyway.
It makes sense, but what if the filter is mounted after/below the IC?

The air maybe a tad higher after the IC but it is alot more cleaner and it will take full advantage of the efficiency of the IC to cool it. And it can also act as a air extractor which will improve even more the IC cooling ability. I wouldn't be surprised if the AIT's at throttle body will be the same, or even lower than with stock intake and with the bonus of the turbos breathing more freely and providing quicker spool.

BTW, Esmotor kit seems to be the smallest from all the kits that i saw, and the one that restrict less the IC.

Last edited by Tiago; 01-31-2013 at 08:58 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fender well intake