997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Super Sport vs. P. Corsa & the importance of tire's sidewall stiffness.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Chris, if you ever feel like it: It would be extremely interesting if you could time yourself in RE-11 and then PSS on same circuit. That would be the first of this type of comparison for PSS that I know of.
At least from performance standpoint, track time is the ultimate evaluation. You'll be a pioneer! :-)

PS: Yes you guys are making me very curious about RE 11.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Can, sorry for the confusion - I thought I was clear earlier on in this thread when I said "circuit" I meant my favorite street route.

I could just hear the conversation with the cop now:

"why were you speeding"?

"sorry officer, i'm trying to compare times between two different tires and thought this exit ramp off the Long Island Expressway would be a good test ground"

The RE-11 isn't perfect but there is no doubt in my mind that it's a better performer than the PSS.

If you want quiet, comfort, and perf. than the PSS is probably unrivaled right now. MSPC will be on in the spring.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Once my current set goes, I'm gonna try the R-S3s as suggested by ari. I've been reading really good things about the Hankooks.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
The most interesting thing about the Super Sport to me is that it seems to disconnect the link between traction and tread wear rating. In other words, I tend to look at a tire's tread wear rating to have some idea of its stickiness. Lower tread rating = stickier tire.

The Super Sport OTOH has a high tread wear rating AND excellent traction. Very unusual combination.

Chris: oh *that* "circuit." LOL.
Regarding Michelin Cup versus Pirelli Corsa: I have absolutely no idea how they compare but a couple of trustworthy people have told me Cup is stiffer than Corsa. Because you're in NY and because your car is probably stiffer than normal Bilstein already, you might want to consider Corsa if what I've been told is true.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 PM
SaintlySins has a spectacular aura aboutSaintlySins has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

I can not thank you all enough for this thread.

My sled came with Pirrelli PZero Rosso. I like them enough for my general use, but as I'm getting aclimated to the PDK and far more aggressive with it - these Rosso's just give up any feed-back if I'm more than (guesstimating) 25 degrees over the slip/grip angle.

I'm not trying to drift it, but there is a wonderful exit ramp near my house that I can hang it out on. My old sled had the Michellins and they "talked to me" with such detail it was easy to control. These Rosso's just disconnect and at a certain point and it's unnerving.

I'm near 10K on the clock and will need new shoes soon. This was a great, informative thead.

Thank you guys!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
You're very welcome. I didn't know this when I bought my Turbo, but besides the fun of driving this torpedo, I've gotten an education in car chassis dynamics, tire, exhaust, ECU tuning, wheel cosmetics LOL. In a way, I am glad that the stock Turbo has such a soft demeanor; I've learned so much righting the wrongs.

The education makes the process 10 times more fun! My motto: try new things (within safety reasons), observe, and learn.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Someone on another forum asked me to compare Pilot Super Sport wet road performance versus the R Comp Pirelli Corsa, my answer below:

If you are comparing Pilot Super Sport to cup/r compound tires, then I have little doubt the Super Sport is much superior on wet roads. When I had my Pirelli Corsa cup tire on, it was more or less nerve wracking when it rains; the Super Sport is much better than that. Without knowing the numbers, I am still certain the Super Sport as a road tire has higher void ratio (amount of empty space over the amount of flat rubber on tire surface), and deeper grooves than cup tires, and therefore drains water better.

As far as aquaplaning, I don't think there is a way around it with these ultra high performance tires - better traction requires high amount of flat rubber surface, and high amount of flat rubber surface means aquaplaning.
That said, these tires do vary in their ability to drain water. How the Super Sport drains water could be seen in its asymmetrical tread pattern, ie the tread design changes as you move across the surface of the tire. The inner part has small tread block to help drain water. The outer part has big tread block, which is not good for draining water but is excellent for dry traction and for increasing stability of the tire during cornering. Therefore: inside for wet traction, outside for dry traction and cornering stability. You could see this in the picture of Super Sport below.

--

Last edited by cannga; 11-03-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I did two days in the rain at VIR 2 months ago and the PSS did very well. I still don't think they're nearly as good in the dry grip area as some of the other extreme tires - that's not the PSS' category, so I guess they shouldn't be as good.

I was planning on trying MPSC next but just ordered a set of the pirelli trofeo's yesterday. i'll wait until the spring to put them on. for $500 less than a set of the cup's i figured i'd give them a try before the price goes up or the tire disappears. As some of you know, this tire has been a bit of a mythical legend.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
^^^
Chris, I would be very interested in your comparison of Bridgestone RE-11 versus R comp Trofeo.
I continue to hear good things about RE-11. I suspect it is a 'tweener, in between PSS and R comp as far as comfort/performance compromise. You agree? Larry (hmmv3) mentioned that it is an autocrosser's favorite - that just tells me how stiff-walled it is.

If you don't mind what is the cost of a set of Trofeo? I would try it except for the availability, which for this particular tire has been horrible. If one Trofeo blows and they don't have the tire for immediate replacement, you are looking at a very very costly mishap!

Last edited by cannga; 11-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
cannga: Have you tried the MPSC yet? I recommended them to a friend with a Turbo S and he loves them. Compared to the RE-11's, they're night/day better in steering input and grip. Have never tried the Trofeo for reasons stated.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisEVO
cannga: Have you tried the MPSC yet? I recommended them to a friend with a Turbo S and he loves them. Compared to the RE-11's, they're night/day better in steering input and grip. Have never tried the Trofeo for reasons stated.
Hi Chris, not yet but it is in fact the next tire that I am going to try. Comes Spring, my Turbo baby will be fit with MPSC "summer shoes"!

Last edited by cannga; 11-03-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by cannga
^^^
Chris, I would be very interested in your comparison of Bridgestone RE-11 versus R comp Trofeo.
I continue to hear good things about RE-11. I suspect it is a 'tweener, in between PSS and R comp as far as comfort/performance compromise. You agree? Larry (hmmv3) mentioned that it is an autocrosser's favorite - that just tells me how stiff-walled it is.

If you don't mind what is the cost of a set of Trofeo? I would try it except for the availability, which for this particular tire has been horrible. If one Trofeo blows and they don't have the tire for immediate replacement, you are looking at a very very costly mishap!
Can, I think the trofeo's were around $1,600. about $500 less than a set of M cups.

The PSS is definitely quieter and more comfortable than the RE-11. Even though it's been a while, and my memory may have faded, the RE-11 was just as quiet/comfortable if not more so, than the PS2. Tweener is probably a good category. The RE-11 was also not bad in the rain. Now, I can't really say I "pushed" them in the rain, but I never had a problem. I also drive my car year round (except when snow is on the ground) and they also did ok in the brutal cold we had last winter. Again, I didn't push the car like I do in the middle of summer but grip was better than I thought it would be.

Yes, if i should blow one it could be an expensive mistake. oh well.

The last few days have had me thinking of buying a used cayman and making that a track car. So, while the trofeo's are on their way, not sure i'll be in ay rush to put them on. we'll see.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
The last few days have had me thinking of buying a used cayman and making that a track car. So, while the trofeo's are on their way, not sure i'll be in ay rush to put them on. we'll see.
Chris, I am a huge huge fan of the Cayman/Boxster platform. I think their turn-in response and overall behavior are incredibly clean and fast; their chassis dynamics off-the-chart fantastic compared to our Turbo. You are going to love it. (Equal engine/suspension/tire, IM very humble opinion a Cayman will kill any and all 911.) The only things I don't like about these cars is the jittery ride, and the Cayman's odd look, and the Boxster's "soft" appearance. Strictly personal preference of course.

I am always scheming about a Boxster, but very frustrated by Porsche's market driven decision to under-power these gems. The car is some ponies and stiff springs from an absolute giant killer.

Have you heard about Boxster Spec http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/ ?

Last edited by cannga; 11-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes, i'm familiar with the series. there was also the interseries for caymen. very cool cars. I keep going back and forth with this. on the one hand it is very nice to just drive my car to the track, have fun, and then drive it home.

however, one minor "off" can be hugely expensive. that would make me cry LOL. The beating the car takes on the track is amazing. No amount of "hard" street driving can come anywhere near what happens on the track.

I have a track event on monday and will have the oppty. to check out a prepped caymen (PDK to boot). I have been working with pro driver Aaron Povoldeo as a personal coach and he told me he'll drive my car at 9/10's and then the caymen at 9/10's and see what I think LOL. should be fun!

Of course, doing the prepped car thing now involves a trailer etc. Another level of commitment.

I see the fedex man is rolling the trofeo's to my door as I write this.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
AMG: The CS is a great platform. I tracked a 2nd gen car for 2 years and enjoyed it. Only problem is that is is hugely underpowered. If you're seriously considering one for track, you'd probably be better off starting with a 2nd gen car as they have resolved two serious track related failure issues: oil starvation at high G's and power steering overheating. The gen 2 CS is solid out of the box, only problem will be finding one to your liking as their numbers are lower. I've never tracked a turbo but I would imagine a properly track prepped car would be immensely satisfying to drive on track vs. a CS.

If the thought of balling up the turbo gives you pause, have you ever considered track insurance? Good piece of mind.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Super Sport vs. P. Corsa & the importance of tire's sidewall stiffness.