997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Super Sport vs. P. Corsa & the importance of tire's sidewall stiffness.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChrisEVO
AMG: The CS is a great platform. I tracked a 2nd gen car for 2 years and enjoyed it. Only problem is that is is hugely underpowered. If you're seriously considering one for track, you'd probably be better off starting with a 2nd gen car as they have resolved two serious track related failure issues: oil starvation at high G's and power steering overheating. The gen 2 CS is solid out of the box, only problem will be finding one to your liking as their numbers are lower. I've never tracked a turbo but I would imagine a properly track prepped car would be immensely satisfying to drive on track vs. a CS.

If the thought of balling up the turbo gives you pause, have you ever considered track insurance? Good piece of mind.
yes, i'm aware of the two issues on the Gen. 1 cars. seems there are some pretty decent solutions/fixes.

Will report back my thoughts on the cayman track car i'll be in on monday. just checked porsche's website. Posted weight for the cayman is 2,976 lbs. wow, that's pretty light. the turbo is what, 3,500? that's a huge difference - and that's before i rip out the interior and shed some more pounds! LOL.

Last edited by E55AMG; 11-04-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
well , thanks all for your posts !! great informations here , but am wondering whats the best tires for traction issues under full WOT , less weight too !!

thanks

Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ysfg35
well , thanks all for your posts !! great informations here , but am wondering whats the best tires for traction issues under full WOT , less weight too !!
thanks
Yousef, best and lightest R comp tires are Michelin Cup and Pirelli Corsa.
For better traction, also don't use too much negative camber - IOW use stock toe and camber settings. Note that alignment setting for best straight line traction and max speed (less neg. camber, less toe) is not the same as what's best for the track and carving curves (more negative camber, some toe in or even slight toe out if you want to be adventurous).

>>>>
R compound Michelin Cup: front/rear 20/27 = 47 lbs
R comp Pirelli Corsa: 21/26 = 47
Michelin Pilot Super Sport: 25/30 = 55
>>>>

Last edited by cannga; 11-06-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:04 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Posted weight for the cayman is 2,976 lbs. wow, that's pretty light. the turbo is what, 3,500? that's a huge difference - and that's before i rip out the interior and shed some more pounds! LOL.
Yep it's light and it's mid engine - pure "blood line." As mentioned I am a secret admirer of Cayman/Boxster & wrote about my experience here: http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...em_/page1.html

I agree with ChrisEVO that a major problem with Cayman/Boxster, in particular for us Turbo owners, is the lack of power. This car is much better on tight canyon roads, where speed is limited, than on big long tracks. You simply have to keep the engine at 5000+ and even then it still feels like it has no power.
I forgot to mention the avoidance test to check out the chassis dynamics: 50 mph empty road, quick left then quick right with the steering. Do this to both cars and you'll see what a problem the rear engine is. With the Cayman, it is one quick simple change, with the Turbo after that quick right you'll see the rear continues to swing left!

But looking beyond the power problem and the jittery ride, the Cayman/Boxster is so pure and a dream to drive: fast turn-in, fast steering, clean motion, feel so so so very safe at the limit. It has replaced the GT3 as my secret dream second Porsche.

Last edited by cannga; 11-06-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Trofeos

Not sure if anyone has chimed in but the trofeo sidewalls are the stiffest I have ever experienced. One word of warning is the tire pressure variation from cold to hot. Be careful and check it once warmed up. The increase is in the neighborhood of 15-20%. However, once "reset" they maintain contant pressure as long as they maintain temp. They are also surprisingly quiet.

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 11-10-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Slow911TT68Tip
Not sure if anyone has chimed in but the trofeo sidewalls are the stiffest I have ever experienced. One word of warning is the tire pressure variation from cold to hot. Be careful and check it once warmed up. The increase is in the neighborhood of 15-20%. However, once "reset" they maintain contant pressure as long as they maintain temp. They are also surprisingly quiet.
Thanks. Your impression is very helpful and consistent with what I was told by a very reputable tire dealer: The Pirelli Trofeo is a more track oriented tire than Corsa. Anyone else would like to chime in regarding Trofeo?

It appears you are trying out a lot of different tires (what have you tried lately?)? Please post your comparisons as "comparative analysis" LOL is the most helpful type of reviews. 2 major parameters that people would be interested in, not just "traction":
1. sidewall stiffness (good ol' handling versus ride comfort trade-off) and
2. road noise.