997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Stock regular mode/tuned sport function mode???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 AM
levrac68 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
John, yes it does. The GIAC tune has a flash loader that allows you to switch between stock mode and tune mode. It is fantastic because it allows me to test stock vs. tune with respect to sound, smoothness of delivery, power at lower rpm, etc., as often as I like to.

TTdude, from my own subjective testing, the 2 modes do feel identical. Same maps so no reason to think otherwise, and if there is a difference, at this humble level , it's academic I would think.

One important reason that I switch to stock mode, is that my Cargraphic sounds the sweetest (warmest and best low frequency rumbling) in stock mode. Yeh that's how nutty I could get when it comes to sound.
Thanks for your reply Can,

I see you have the flash loader attached next to your steering wheel. I was looking to use the simple sport button to switch instantly between the program that comes with the car, and the beefed up tuned version. How long does yours take to flash? From what I understand it's a few seconds.

Thanks,
Todd

Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djben
If I'm not mistaken can't a dealer tell if your car has been chipped -- a difference in engine hours / ECU hours when compared with mileage or something?

I have yet to ever bother with a power upgrade on either my M3 or Turbo myself, it's always the suspension that pretty much sucks from the factory that I have to change
Hi Ben, 99.999% of the times you cannot hide anything, especially if they start to "investigate."
However, I would like to assume there is no limit to what a truly talented engineer could do, so although I don't have concrete evidence, I will leave it at 99.999%, and not 100%.

I agreed; for me (YMMV), the ranking for how important each major mod is:
1. Suspension
2. Exhaust
3. Power
I would have sold my Turbo had it not for the suspension mod.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by levrac68
Thanks for your reply Can,

I see you have the flash loader attached next to your steering wheel. I was looking to use the simple sport button to switch instantly between the program that comes with the car, and the beefed up tuned version. How long does yours take to flash? From what I understand it's a few seconds.

Thanks,
Todd
You're welcome. I have not timed it precisely but it seems to take about 5 seconds to switch - you push a button, the light switches from one spot to another. Because GIAC (and EVOM, don't know about others) has 30 day full refund warranty, the beauty of the flash loader is you could evaluate the tune by the best method possible - direct and instant A/B switching - and if you don't like it, "return" for full refund.
I am no expert on this and my car is but a humble stage 2 , but from my limited experience, and ONLY in my car - YMMV, the 2 tunes that I had feel distinctly different from one another (one boost early and big, the other more gradual, even though max power is most likely very close, limited by my stock intercooler, etc.), so if a tune is more gradual coming on and therefore not as obvious at first (not better, just different), it's good to be able to go back and compare to stock to see what exactly is going on.

Secondly, for me it is wonderful to be able to always monitor the tune and see if it is still performing, that nothing has gone wrong. Because I am not interested in data logging and super high power application in this daily driver, for me always being able to compare against stock boost/afr/timing maps is a very good and simple way to monitor my stage 2 tune. It gives peace of mind that yes, the tune is making the car faster.

Note that in GIAC's case you actually have 4 combinations, not 2, because there are 2 buttons involved, the flash loader button and the "Sport" button of the car.
1. Stock (when you push the "Stock" button on the flash loader)
2. GIAC (when you push the "Pump" button on the flash loader)
3. Stock Sport
4. GIAC Sport (when you push the "Pump" button on flash loader AND the "Sport" button on you car's console)
Number 4 is where the money is. The car is very very fast in this mode and feels like it's going downhill all the times.

Last edited by cannga; 09-02-2011 at 02:07 AM.