997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How to trap 140mph-997TT Tip???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
How to trap 140mph-997TT Tip???

Howdy,

There is a 997TT Tiptronic that is available for a good price and I might pull the trigger on it.

Before I do, I wanted to ask what the 6speedonline community thought of this. I'd like to make the car a daily driven and reliable vehicle that can trap right around 140mph (with the use of E85 since it is available at my pumps).

What modifications are needed and how much money needs to be spent? I am on a budget (do budget and high horsepower Porsches mix? ) so I'm looking to see if there are any packages out there or any shops in particular that specialize on making the 997TT Tip a 1/4 mile and highway monster without blowing the motor and/or transmission. Before you ask, this car will not see the track. It will be a street car that will see plenty of WOT launches and highway pulls as well as driving around town.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death before but I haven't seen any recent discussions come up yet so I wanted to see what the new word out is and also see if the 997TT will meet my goals or will I just come out of this ownership experience with a frown and a hole in my pocket. THANKS!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:11 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
My guesstimate is you'll probably need in the neighborhood of 800 awhp to trap in the 140's.
Plenty of tuners that can get you there, but that much power is NOT cheap. How to get there will of course also depend on your tuner's philosophy. Switzer seems to think the internals will easily hold up to that much to the wheels without touching the motor. EVOMS and Champion have another take on it.

Keeping the GT-R too, B?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bonehead
My guesstimate is you'll probably need in the neighborhood of 800 awhp to trap in the 140's.
Plenty of tuners that can get you there, but that much power is NOT cheap. How to get there will of course also depend on your tuner's philosophy. Switzer seems to think the internals will easily hold up to that much to the wheels without touching the motor. EVOMS and Champion have another take on it.

Keeping the GT-R too, B?
Thanks brother. I was thinking 800awhp might be the ticket. E85 usually runs "safer" so I guess I would push my luck and have the 800whp tune for when I run and turn it down to 650 or so for normal street driving.

I guess my real question comes down to this: with stock internals, how much is it for a reliable bigger turbo kit (like GT3076), cooling, and an upgraded tip transmission? Again, I know Bang-For-Your-Buck and Porsche do not belong in the same sentence, but this platform has been tried and tested so I'm hoping there are kits out there that are proven and are reliable and sold for a good price.

I'll PM you about the GT-R....

Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
We were able to trap 147 with our 997 Turbo with our 68mm VTG turbos running about 720 awhp. That was with rollout launches to avoid breaking axels (which we had already done twice while trying to launch..lol). It's not so much about your max HP figure, but when that power hits and how smooth it is. I don't think there's anything out there better then VTG's in terms of early power that stays consistent throughout the RPM's.

Feel free to give me a call sometime. We've done about 5 tiptronic cars with our full upgrade over the past couple months. I'd be happy to talk to you about our experiences and what we learned. Whether you buy a kit from us or not...at least get all the info you can so you can make an informed decision.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:28 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Tom 147mph with just 720 whp?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
The kits you're talking about are high dollar kits...You are looking at around easily $30g's + for one of these kits...The turbo kits are around $25-30+ by themselves plus installation... You will also need to rebuild your tip to handle this power...That will run you around $5-10g's with labor...By no means do I consider this a cheap budget build, but maybe I'm cheap!

Last edited by skeeter; 08-29-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
maybe selling mine...i'll pm u with details

Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
Tom 147mph with just 720 whp?
Yes, that's correct. 720awhp with our 68mm VTG's. That was with a hard rollout start...not quite a full launch, but not quite a soft start either. We had already broken 2 axels so at that point we were just trying to make it all the way down the track! lol I don't remember what the ET was...somewhere in the 10's I think...10.5 maybe. I don't have a video or I would have posted it somewhere, plus it was our own development car...so to avoid the skeptics we just kept the results private.

Originally Posted by Arone997tt
I can vouch for this car. I almost feel like it's my adopted child...

Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
Arone are you interested in parting out some of the Champion bits?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Thanks brother. I was thinking 800awhp might be the ticket. E85 usually runs "safer" so I guess I would push my luck and have the 800whp tune for when I run and turn it down to 650 or so for normal street driving.

I guess my real question comes down to this: with stock internals, how much is it for a reliable bigger turbo kit (like GT3076), cooling, and an upgraded tip transmission? Again, I know Bang-For-Your-Buck and Porsche do not belong in the same sentence, but this platform has been tried and tested so I'm hoping there are kits out there that are proven and are reliable and sold for a good price.

I'll PM you about the GT-R....
800 awhp will be expensive. GT kit will be more than alpha kit since more fab work is needed. You will need upgraded fuel system and tranny. Not going to be cheap.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Sheesh! I'm getting scared now to get into the Porsche world lol. Maybe theres a reason why I stuck with Z06's and GT-R's. Friggen ballers! lol

Thanks for all the advice. I'm still looking around and talking to various tuners and such. Thanks Tom, Arone, Ed, and the rest.

Skeeter, an E911 is perfect for me. I envy you because the kit is perfect but the price is not

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Sheesh! I'm getting scared now to get into the Porsche world lol. Maybe theres a reason why I stuck with Z06's and GT-R's. Friggen ballers! lol

Thanks for all the advice. I'm still looking around and talking to various tuners and such. Thanks Tom, Arone, Ed, and the rest.

Skeeter, an E911 is perfect for me. I envy you because the kit is perfect but the price is not

Thanks!
I'll trade you straight up for a Ford Gt!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by skeeter
I'll trade you straight up for a Ford Gt!
Do salvage Ford GT's count?

How about I trade you one 10 second car for another?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Skeeter can't trade you a 10 second car because he will have a 9 second car..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Skeeter can't trade you a 10 second car because he will have a 9 second car..
Oh man I can't wait to see some videos ahah!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to trap 140mph-997TT Tip???