997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

sad day today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
It is fun however it gets old pretty quickly. Although 2.9 is very fast, it's so smooth that it felt a little buffered/controlled from a torque point of view to me. I guess between my Stage IV and Ruf RTurbo manuals, I miss that intense "driver controlled" mid range torque and involvement. It most certainly is a huge upgrade/improvement from any of the Tips I've had though. The other reason I sold mine is due to Porsche's greedy move releasing a '12 version of the same car and not raising the prices, really pissed me off...

I am intrigued with Ruf's new 620 mod for the DFI turbos though. There are a couple being done right now, very curious to see how they come out. Of course the PDK holding up is of greatest concern however I don't feel Ruf would be stupid enough to have not RN'd that. They have a way of making midrange torque that's incredible. The Tip RT12 I rode in a few months ago, and about bought, was borderline terrifying

Ted.

Last edited by Ted; 08-30-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Enjoy Ronnie. Don't stray too far...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
the s with the pdk is beyond boring, I made a huge mistake. May actually sell it.
I've never driven one but can't say I have the urge to try it. I think it is a winner for the stoplight racer who wants to take on every Civic/Neon/Minivan/GTR/whatever at the light but I'm not sure it has the midrange punch from a roll that a 6speed 997.1tt with upgraded vtgs has, and THAT is fun.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Exactly I'm addicted to that punch especially with three pedals. I think because you can't shift as fast manually, and there is a human lag and some jerkiness, it makes the torque in the manual feel that much more apparent. The fact that it's not smooth makes you feel it more "seat of the pants" regardless of what the numbers say. Also, no doubt they have tempered down the programming in the first gen PDK's. I bet the gen 2 in the 991 will be more aggressive.

Now if you were/are tracking all the time then the PDK is probably a better choice...

Last edited by Ted; 08-30-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Ted
I felt the same way about the Panamera Turbo, it delivers power so smoothly. I actually had a fantastic deal (125K) on a mint, 174K msrp car, that I turned down 6-months ago. It just didn't do it for me, wanted it to, but it just didn't.

Sometimes I wish I had never had the modded 6-speeds...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ted
I felt the same way about the Panamera Turbo, it delivers power so smoothly. I actually had a fantastic deal (125K) on a mint, 174K msrp car, that I turned down 6-months ago. It just didn't do it for me, wanted it to, but it just didn't.

Sometimes I wish I had never had the modded 6-speeds...
Yeah, the 997.1tt 6-speed platform is so versatile and amenable to modding that it keeps it interesting for a long time. This is especially true if you do things in stages. Some of the mods can be so transforming that I rather put more mod $ into my current set-up and constantly improve it rather than trading it for something else.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Ted
I like the feeling of having to be on your toes a bit, the fear of a mis-shift, having to work at it a bit, etc... It's like after you get over the, "Lookie what this thing can do", phase with the TTS there's just not much left to keep me involved/interested, at least not enough to take a huge depreciation hit on a first year car. Remember the DFI/PDK, albeit a '10 997 chassis, is a completely new car. Throw in the fact they pulled the '12 TTS release crap, and the fact the 991, turbo included, is well on it's way, it just wasn't worth it. I even bought it off the show room floor for 17.5K back and it still wasn't worth it to me.

I might add this is strictly a third car for me, not a DD, so that's making a difference in my overall opinion I'm sure. I want to go out, release energy, and have some fun. If this was my DD then I would probably love the TTS and what it offers. It was beautiful though...

Last edited by Ted; 08-31-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 AM
Ted
Here is/was a pic.

Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ted
Exactly I'm addicted to that punch especially with three pedals. I think because you can't shift as fast manually, and there is a human lag and some jerkiness, it makes the torque in the manual feel that much more apparent. The fact that it's not smooth makes you feel it more "seat of the pants" regardless of what the numbers say.
Right cause you're getting thrown back in our seat with every shift rather than the relentless and uninterrupted acceleration of the dual clutch system. Interesting to hear these kinds of comments having never driven a PDK myself. The only dual clutch I've driven was an SL63 AMG, but that's a whole different animal.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
what crap did they pull on the '12 tts?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
After much thoughts and going back and forth my turbo is gone, she will be replaced with clk 63 amg black series for now.
Sad day should be happy day my friend. Sounds like there was some deliberation in the decision. Is the 63 black the same as J Clarksons? GL. I'm sure we'll be seeing you back soon.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The s with the pdk is beyond boring, I made a huge mistake. May actually sell it.
Not surprised. It actually would've been news to have heard you say otherwise chris. We all make mistakes but at least your being honest with yourself. If yr serious tho the time to shake it'd be right now given 991 has broken covers. The bath is only going to get bigger....but somthin tells me you know that already .

Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Ted
They released a '12 version of the same TTS with no price increase, first time in TTS history. This will kill the '11's as soon as a used '12 goes on the market. Between this, and the fact the 991 Gen 2 is coming, including the turbo next year, equals major depreciation hit.

I'm sure the new PDK will be much better too. Also I'm sure they will have done updates on the motor to help alleviate carbon build up problems which is the problem they're having now. They already made changes on the CTT motors between '10 and '11 to help deal with this. My tech said he's been seeing early DFI CTT's come in with major carbon build up at only 5K miles

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm in the same position as the OP, heading a different direction...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, I am planning on, who knows I might come back to a turbo or a gt2
Originally Posted by TTdude
Enjoy Ronnie. Don't stray too far...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=Ted;3301583]Exactly I'm addicted to that punch especially with three pedals. I think because you can't shift as fast manually, and there is a human lag and some jerkiness, it makes the torque in the manual feel that much more apparent. The fact that it's not smooth makes you feel it more "seat of the pants" regardless of what the numbers say.
The real slowdown is the turbo coming off with lack of gas pedal with the shift, then on again. With the PDK, you don't get that. Its taking time, but I am beginning to make sure some gas is always placed on the engine during the 1-2 shift to avoid the on/off/on of the turbo. With non-turbo car shifting, this was not an issue.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I cannot imagine getting rid of my 6M GT1 motored car. It is the pinnacle of the 911 to date.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sad day today