997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1TT mileage ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Troymx576 is infamous around these parts
997.1TT mileage ?

1<SUP>st</SUP> post. I am looking to get a 997.1TT and when looking I see higher mileage cars now available for very attractive prices. What mileage would you consider too high to consider? What are common items that will, do and can go bad at the higher mileages with the 997.1TT? Just curious if I should get a10-20K car, 30-40K mileage or a 60K+ mileage one and not really worry about it. I see a 20K or more savings if it has 40K or more so that makes me think something bad is going to happen after 40K. I plan to use it as a DD so I am going to put some miles on it so I ponder on paying a little more for a low mileage one or just get the higher mileage one and enjoy.

Also- Any reason why the 08 997.1TT Cab’s are going for cheaper than the hardtops? I might just get one of these instead since they seem to go going for 80-90K for an 08 now. I do wonder if the hardtop is manual or electric. I just thought it was odd to find Cab’s that are cheaper than regular ones. I know options can be important but when comparing them I see those about the same. Just odd. I miss my last conv car so this might be an option. The hardtops just look so good though.

<OI want a 997.1TT 6SP, Sport Chrono in white or red. Like to have sport adj seats, multi function wheel and locking dif. Hunting I will go.

<OThanks for the help and advise.
<OTroy<O</O

Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Got my TT, 07 with 24k in May of last year for 88K CPO from a dealer.

After looking up the VIN it had most available options including locking diff. No sport seats and no multi-function wheel but neither were very important to me at the time (hey, I'm going to put in the Rotec reclining someday anyway!).

If I didn't want yellow, I could have got a similar black, gray or red car for probably anywhere from 81-85K. Yes, I paid a significant premium for a speed yellow car.

At the time, there were only 3 other yellow used 911 TTs in the entire US for sale that met my mileage/price/year criteria (you can bet I searched every possible site available as did dealers I spoke with).

One was much lower mileage with a much higher price (110k) and the other was much higher mileage at 40k miles but at $79K. I'd spent a few months searching and there were never more than 1-3 cars that met my criteria so I finally pulled the trigger on the one in the middle. The lower mileage car was from a private seller, mine was from a dealer with no blemishes on their reputation so I was a little more optimistic and confident buying my car from them.

White was the only other color I was going to consider at the time. A friend of mine (hi onefast997TT!) just picked up one and he said in his target year/mileage/color they weren't very plentiful.

35K on the clock now on mine and the car is great. It is my DD. I have had major service done for $1500 from the only P-car dealer in Miami (less than I thought it would be and I got a loaner!) and I've had the Turbo vanes re-lubed after a CEL (look up the VTG re-lube recall). I did as much research as you could possibly do on the 997TT used market and I felt that I was getting a good deal on a reliable, proven, low-maintenance yet very high performance car. I considered a Ferrari 360 for a while but realized it just wouldn't pan out as a DD, even though the 911 does unquestionably have it's engine in the wrong place

In my opinion -- cabs are going for cheaper than standard coupes for the same reason tiptronics are going for less than manuals. The 997 with the GT1 motor for numerous reasons is desired by a good number of enthusiasts who value performance. I'll leave it at that at as another good friend of mine has a cab M3 -- I custom ordered mine with no sunroof

Good luck! I think the 997.1 offers an incredible price/performance combination when considering today's car market as a whole, both new and used.

Last edited by djben; 08-31-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM
levrac68 is infamous around these parts
I purchased my 09 tt with 9k miles, a spotless carfax, all the important options, and CPO for 97k from a dealer. I hunted for a month and was not comfortable with a car having over 20k miles on it. That's just my personal preference and is not based on any standard set by the Porsche product for its reliability history. Happy Hunting. Go with what you're comfortable with and enjoy the process, I sure did.

T

Old 09-02-2011, 07:56 AM
I still wonder if there are major things to worry about when going higher mileage? Say at 40K + that causes concern. How long turbos last? Head gaskets? etc. That is my concern, but maybe I am just worrying about nothing considering it is a very well made car. I do not know. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I also considered a few other cars and the 997TT just worked out best. I was thinking more of a tack car with the street at first, but I have a track only car at home that is my race car so no real need for that. Plus, taking that to the track I do not worry about hurting it or anything, but when I take my street car I drive like a wimp worrying. I want 4wd just in case for the winter, good power, good looks, comfort, engine in the middle or back and 4 seats if possible. When I started to look at that only the 997TT fits. Others came close, but not everything with as much to offer for the value. I have a little one so this works out nice with the back seat. I considered the R8, but the people selling them are on crack with how much they want for them. I can get a bran new one for 115K with 6sd v8 and used ones are going for 95-100K. I know I am going to loose money on a car, but when in 2-3 years it will be worth almost half the used 997TT seems like a much better deal. <o></o>
<o></o>
I saw a used 997TT for 65K with 72K miles with all the options I wanted except it is blue. It is just a big range from 65-95 for the cars. It also depends if buying from a dealer and where from what I see. Some dealers try to make bank off of them I am sure. Just have to be patient and wait for the right car at the right time.
<o></o>
I also see a red cab 08 6sp with 42K miles and all the options I want I can get for 80K. I just need to decide if I want a cab or not. I think the hardtop might be the way to go and I might just wait until I find the white one I want and wait until off season to save the purchase cost. The perfect car is out there, somewhere at sometime in the future. Now I just need to be patient and find it. Hunting I will go.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM
jrohlf is infamous around these parts
Instead of focusing on mileage you might want to focus more on ownership and service history, and "quality" of mileage. Single owner with service records might offset higher mileage. If a private party sale you can feel out the seller to see how the car's been driven. Check for excessive brake pad wear indicating track time. Highway miles are friendlier than city miles. Check overrevs. And finally, a car still within factory warranty can offset any mileage anxieties.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Schnell TT is a jewel in the roughSchnell TT is a jewel in the roughSchnell TT is a jewel in the roughSchnell TT is a jewel in the rough
I just bought my 08 997tt Cab a few weeks ago. In eight months of search I found that the Cab's are more expensive than the Coupes. This is primarily a reflection of the initial sticker price difference as I was only looking at Porsche dealer CPO cars.

As far as mileage goes you're basically trading off against depreciation both short-term and long-term. Short term, you'll probably notice that garage queens with < 10k mi for 08's, get quite a premium. I opted for a 25,000 mi car because I wanted to save a little up front and since I only put 3k mi on the car each year, I should retain the value pretty well. Long-term, a 10 year old car with 30-40k miles will go for much more than one close to 100k mi. This has less to do with the particular model, and more just the way the used-car market works.

I was looking for a BLK/Blk 6MT clean car and lost out on three cars before I got mine, because it took me more than 4 days to ask all questions and get all information such as carfax, service history, DME, etc. mainly because the dealerships had just listed the car and didn't have it all together. All were sold within 1 wk, even the one I bought. So I'm curious where others see the buyers market.

Good luck and be patient.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Does the cab have a man or electric top? My old s2000 had a great fast electric top and would come down in less than 10 seconds. It worked great. 40 degrees out. No prob. Top down, heater on full with a hat and gloves. I loved it. Shoot. Maybe I am talking myself into a cab here.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM
5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough
Just got my 2008 turbo coupe and have been looking for the past few months. It does seem that mileage is the biggest factor in the price of the cars. Many times a less optioned car with 5K less miles cost more than a car with pricier options including PCCB and adaptive sport seats. I am also planning on using mine as a DD so I opted for a low mileage one with CPO.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Sanook has a spectacular aura aboutSanook has a spectacular aura aboutSanook has a spectacular aura about
Troy I can answer part of your question.

If you plan on modding your engine with higher HP packages, the consensus seems to be that you go for the 997.1, the .2 is not nearly as mod friendly.

Ownership is the key, I wound't hesitate to take a 40k car from an owner that really cared for the car and did not put it on the track as well.

Do your research, find a car from a good owner, get the maintenance records and buy what makes sense. If there is a big difference in price, there is generally a reason. Don't pass up a great car for a minor difference.

Good luck and enjoy......

Old 09-03-2011, 11:28 PM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
to answer your question, the top is electric. push and hold the button and the top will open/close. no latch to operate.

if you are planning on getting an extended warranty, i would seriously consider low mileage car (<20k miles). The extended warranty prices sky rocket as the mileage goes up. do check on warranty prices before you purchase.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I am a big buyer of pre-owned cars for a few reasons. The first being that I have expensive taste in cars, which all of us here do. The 2nd reason is that have car OCD I usually make a move every 18 months, at most.

For my reasons, I usually look for cars under 20K miles cause after I add 5-10K miles, the trade value is significiantly lower are you get closer to 40K miles, and even more so when you close in on 50K miles.

As a buyer, I do the PPI's etc., however dealers value your trade on miles and paintwork (if any) and condition so its important for me to get a relatively lower mileage car.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks all. The Cab with electric top might be the way to go. If I can find a lower milage car with the options I want and color I would go for it if the price is right. I think service history is a big factor also. If I had a higher mileage car with no track days and the owner tookc care of the car, no worries. If it is a car that has been tracked a bunch with higher mileage I do not think I would go for that. At least with the Cab no worries about track days.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Just buy the lowest miles car your budget allows. Dont stress over higher mileage cars so long as all records are there and the car has been well taken care of.

Lots of high mileage 996 turbos running around, the 997 will prove no different.