997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New clutch and SC driving behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
I had my dealer do install and they said it was ok to reuse the flywheel. Knowing that they want to sell me every thing imaginable I guess I may believe it is okay otherwise they would have charged me for a new one....or perhaps they skipped it and charged me any way.....

I have over 350 miles on it now and what I have noticed is every so often a sweet resin smell from the car after shut down. (Not like the burning clutch smell as before...that smelled cooked...this smells sweet. No fluids are leaking...no its not coolant either......)

The car accelerates better with PSM OFF.
Still testing things out but traction control comes on abruptly..with PSM ON.

May be just used to the power now I don't know just seems like it's getting "lazy" as if its a learned behavior.

Thinking about may be a computer reset.

Car is still under warranty should probably look into VTGs..thanks for the advice on that one.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Oh and plugs and packs are ok...had them inspected (the 90 point inspection what ever that is) when I brought it in.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Serpentene
I had my dealer do install and they said it was ok to reuse the flywheel. Knowing that they want to sell me every thing imaginable I guess I may believe it is okay otherwise they would have charged me for a new one....or perhaps they skipped it and charged me any way.....
The dealer also reused my F/W as well. They said the story would have been different if i had left the tune in after it began slipping though. I flashed mine back to stock and went easy in the meantime leading up to the clutch change.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 AM
hmmmmm interesting...dealer did my evoms tune, they know its history.
partly why I spend the extra $$$ I'm sure of it...to work on the car.

Just have to trust until I have reason not to. It's always a scary thought relying on others...

Keep in mind the slipping occurred at 4th (rarely) 5th and 6th (mostly) gear every so often when I tried WOT highway acceleration...but it's not like I had opportunity to do this every time I drive...so it wasn't often.

After a few times this had happened I upgraded just because it is the right fit for a tuned turbo. I feel that the car has to be right in all respect.

Like I once said once you mod...the (parts swapping) fun begins...
Seriously tho, ever feel the turbo get lazy if you drive under speed often?

Is it in my head? I don't know...

Now if you reply immediately again...I will just have to pick up the phone and just call you to chat.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:53 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Charles, there's no doubt that you get used to the incremental power after you do a mod. I have upgraded vtgs and the car is awesome at this level. Do I think about more power? yes. But not all that much. It'll take a great opportunity/price to get me to upgrade but I probably will eventually.

I still think you should do a datalog just to see what's happening with your car...Durametric is only a few hundred bucks.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Looking into it...and you're right it will show me with my own eyes what going on behind the scenes when I have my car tuned/repaired/maintained...

I used to have the VAGtools on the VW/AUdis LOL....it is worth knowing for peace of mind.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Funny, I have the same tune and a few supporting mods and Ive been wondering myself a few times if the dealer flashed to stock, is the car pulling timing etc. Sometimes 3rd gear feels wicked, others not so much.

I did notice when sitting shotgun with someone else was driving, the car felt much faster, as your not able to brace yourself so to speak with steering wheel and shifter? Who knows.

Lately I have been eying up 997.2 intercoolers and upgraded VTG's though...but which VTGs? There are big price differences out there.

Last edited by gmoney; 09-05-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
gmoney, I have the 997.2 i/cs and they are great bang for the buck. If you want some practical details about vtg options send me a PM.