997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Reducing "nose lift" during takeoff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Your suspension sounds like what you want, but I question your alignment.

A lot of shops try and align for uniform rear tire wear versus the horribly un-uniform wear a 911 should get on rear tires. The handling is seriously and badly affected.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RNS
Staying on the "upgraded coilovers" path, I've read a lot about how they improve handling in corners (and now with this thread, acceleration/deceleration), but haven't heard much about it's impact to weight of steering or stability at high speeds. This would be assuming no alignment changes, just moving to a stiffer suspension, since I heard more aggressive neg camber in the front would make it more sensitive at high speeds. Imagine it's been talked about before so I'll search around. (Can, you're bilsteins thread is in my list of bookmarks ).
In my experience, 3 changes have increased steering effort:
1. stiffer spring
2. the R comp tire
3. less toe out in front (very slight toe out makes steering light)

I strongly suspect that stickier tire leads to increased rolling resistance, which leads to increased steering effort.
The stiffer spring part, I am sure it happens, but have not found an explanation.
Toe out makes car more eager to turn and therefore steering effort light - that part is easy to understand. BTW be careful with this setting - there is a reason to have slight amount of it, depending on what you're looking for, but it's not recommended for everyone.

The over-assisted steering of the Turbo (compared to GT3/GT2) bothers me a lot, so I love the change with r comp and stiff spring.