997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Reducing "nose lift" during takeoff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Question Reducing "nose lift" during takeoff

Want to ask if anyone has suggestions on how to reduce "nose lift" during hard acceleration. With so much power (even stock), the steering becomes light when really pushing it. Looking for ways to make it feel more planted.

For example, would lowering the car and/or stiffer coilovers help reduce weight shift, and even make power delivery to the road more efficient? Suggestions?

thanks
ryan

Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
This will work!

J/K stiffer springs will help a tad.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:17 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by L8Apex
This will work!

LOL That's a good one!!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by L8Apex
This will work!

+1 for you

Old 09-02-2011, 03:26 AM
SIIK2NR is infamous around these parts
Splitter and canards depending on your speed in a straight line and corners. Agree that suspension will make a difference also.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
harder springs on the back

Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
front splitter and GT3 front would be much better front better aero...
That slit on the hood should have been on all GT and TURBOs included.

squeeze the throttle rather than mashing will lessen the rear squat.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
In my case the lowering springs decreased the nose lift under hard acceleration and rear lift under hard braking. IMO, besides enhancing the look, it improved the handling 10x.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RNS
Want to ask if anyone has suggestions on how to reduce "nose lift" during hard acceleration. With so much power (even stock), the steering becomes light when really pushing it. Looking for ways to make it feel more planted.

For example, would lowering the car and/or stiffer coilovers help reduce weight shift, and even make power delivery to the road more efficient? Suggestions?

thanks
ryan
The weight transfer (front to back in this case, or squatting) will be reduced by lowering the car and/or stiffening the spring.
Side to side weight transfer (aka body roll) will also improve the same way.

This problem is particular bad in the Turbo because of the weight of the engine in the back, and the tremendous power that the Turbo produces. This is why one reason why (among a few) you don't accelerate into the curve ("slow in fast out"). As the front lift, you lose front grip and steering control of front wheels.

BTW, for the same reason the Turbo accelerates out of curves very well - the weight on the rear wheel increases traction. Bottom line, for performance (not for comfort), yes, stiffer and lower is almost always better. Can be done with either coilovers or stiff lowering springs.

Last edited by cannga; 09-02-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
A performance suspension upgrade will cure it.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Thanks everyone for the input, definitely makes sense. Sounds like another positive checkmark on the "pros/cons" list for eventually upgrading suspension.

Staying on the "upgraded coilovers" path, I've read a lot about how they improve handling in corners (and now with this thread, acceleration/deceleration), but haven't heard much about it's impact to weight of steering or stability at high speeds. This would be assuming no alignment changes, just moving to a stiffer suspension, since I heard more aggressive neg camber in the front would make it more sensitive at high speeds. Imagine it's been talked about before so I'll search around. (Can, you're bilsteins thread is in my list of bookmarks ).

Reason this question specifically is on my mind, is I recently put on the PSS tires and had the dealership freshen the alignment, keeping with stock turbo specs. The TT is 2.5 years old and alignment had never been touched since from the factory. I previously had Bridgestone RE050A's.

With the PSS and fresh spec alignment, my steering feels much lighter, and I almost want to say at high speeds the car doesn't feel quite as "pushed" to the ground. The lightness of the steering is real, but the stability and "glued-ness" (making up new words) to the pavement at high speeds might be in my head. Need to do more testing, or might be a symptom of lighter steering feel.

So reducing nose lift/dive during aggressive acceleration/deceleration would definitely be nice, and at the same time I need to figure out what helps put more weight into the steering feel and confidence that the car is glued to the ground when really letting the car stretch its legs.

thanks

Last edited by RNS; 09-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Why reduce it? There's a reason 911's are so fast 0-60 and part of that is the rear end bias with the engine location. Unlike every other car in the world, the rear end squat means you're increasing rather than decreasing traction, so it's not a bad thing.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I think you want an integrated chasis package from a good shop. I got a stage 3 from TPC, with revalved coilovers, springs, bars, links, etc. Really amazing how different the car behaves. Not selling their kit, but I would mix and match. Get a package that someone who knows what they are doing has tested and confirmed works together.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by xseal
I think you want an integrated chasis package from a good shop. I got a stage 3 from TPC, with revalved coilovers, springs, bars, links, etc. Really amazing how different the car behaves. Not selling their kit, but I would mix and match. Get a package that someone who knows what they are doing has tested and confirmed works together.
Sorry. "I would NOT mix and match" ... Is what it should say.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
+1 for TPC Stage 3+ suspension upgrade. Best mod for TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reducing "nose lift" during takeoff