997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

More Power coming out of 1-2 manual shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
More Power coming out of 1-2 manual shift

With normal aspirated engines, the shifting is simple, with foot on clutch and off gas, engine revs come down as the shift occurs.
With my turbo, this causes tremendous hesitation when revs drop as does turbo rev-power, then it takes time for turbos to get back up to speed. Not fast like engine revs.
I notice with PDK, the on/off/on of turbo revs doesn't occur making shifts fast and furious without hesitation.
I found when I shift and hold some gas pedal, the power coming out the 1-2 shift is tremendous with no hesitation. Takes some practice to get it right. In fact it is so fast, that I get some straight line acceleration slippage that I hope is coming from rear tires having 11-12K miles. I mean no hesitation and the car really flies without any drive line clunking noise occurring.
I just hope this process is not damaging the clutch and what I feel is not clutch slippage. Sure easier on the drive line, but may be too much force on the clutch....any thoughts out there on this??

Old 09-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
With pdk or tiptronic there is no need to release the throttle during gearshift. With a manual, between each shift the boost is momentarily lost and therefore must recover upon the next shift and re application of the throttle. A naturally aspirated engine is just not as noticeable. As with any turbo the PDK and tip will always maintain acceleration between shifts better than any manual (turbo or atmo) will.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by speed21
With pdk or tiptronic there is no need to release the throttle during gearshift. With a manual, between each shift the boost is momentarily lost and therefore must recover upon the next shift and re application of the throttle. A naturally aspirated engine is just not as noticeable. As with any turbo the PDK and tip will always maintain acceleration between shifts better than any manual (turbo or atmo) will.
That is the point I was trying to make is that if you keep some gas going and not remove foot completely from gas pedal, then when you shift, the turbos are still spooling a bit and that hesitation from normal-like shift is gone. Really works great for improved acceleration, but I worry about danger to stock clutch.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
sounds like a lot more potential for damage than the performance is worth. Might be cheaper long term to mod it and not stress as much about the 1-2 shift

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
Keeping your foot on the gas while shifting means u are likely power shifting to some degree.

Doing this regularly will eat away at your clutch.

If u want to try and hit boost quicker after shifting, try shifting higher in the rpm range.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
That is the point I was trying to make is that if you keep some gas going and not remove foot completely from gas pedal, then when you shift, the turbos are still spooling a bit and that hesitation from normal-like shift is gone. Really works great for improved acceleration, but I worry about danger to stock clutch.
In a manual if you are upshifting you are meant to remove your foot from the accelerater pedal when changing gear (from say second to third and so on) or the engine will rev up uncontrollably, so when you re engage the clutch it's going to burn if the engine is revving out of synch with the speed of the gear. Downshifting is a different story as you can speed match the gear by using heel toe technique. It's really only when the horsepower and torque is increased that there is a need to update the clamping pressure of the clutch.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
In a manual if you are upshifting you are meant to remove your foot from the accelerater pedal when changing gear (from say second to third and so on) or the engine will rev up uncontrollably, so when you re engage the clutch it's going to burn if the engine is revving out of synch with the speed of the gear. Downshifting is a different story as you can speed match the gear by using heel toe technique. It's really only when the horsepower and torque is increased that there is a need to update the clamping pressure of the clutch.
It is my understanding that PDK lets 1-->2 shifts, etc., occur without complete loss of turbo thrust (retaining some engine rpm during shift). I guess I will check first to see if this is true. I would suppose if computer electronics/hydralics can do such a trick, than manually thru a single clutch, we humans could master such a process too without clutch damage. However, for now power shifting for me is placed on the back burner.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
In a manual transmission turbo car, if you powershift do you stay in boost between gears or does it drop with the clutch disengagement?

I know powershifting isn't great for your clutch or drivetrain. Just curious about trying to maximize the acceleration.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
In a manual transmission turbo car, if you powershift do you stay in boost between gears or does it drop with the clutch disengagement?

I know powershifting isn't great for your clutch or drivetrain. Just curious about trying to maximize the acceleration.
If you keep your foot on the accelerator just a bit to keep rpm up, then 1->2 shift while doing this, the turbo boost is not lost and the car loses that hesitation (which is there if gas is released) and is tremendouly fast, almost uncontrollable, during and after that shift. Acceleration is almost unbeliveable. I really think this is what happens with PDK electronically, but I will check.