997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Protective Clear Bra Film Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Protective Clear Bra Film Maintenance

To all who have protective film,

I'm thinking of a full front wrap to my turbo with Premier. Since turbo is my DD and I never did this before, I have a few reservation and question for all,

- How much more trouble it is to maintain the film, Premier recommend to wash, seal and wax with every wash. In the past I’ll take the car for a full detail every 6 months and simple wash weekly myself, would film be troublesome to take care?

- My car is GT Silver and park outside under California sun at work the whole day. How long would the film last and turn yellow under the sun? Would my paint look different in a few years in area under the film?

- Do it really protects from rock chips and bird dropping? I hear it is harder to get rid of bird drops once it dry because you can’t buff it out like the clear coat?

Much appreciate your help and thoughts!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
cleaning film

Mine has been wrapped. I have the same color but the car is only very infrequently in the sun so I am not too worried about the yellowing issue. I have had the wrap about 2 months and just washed the car for the first time (as I said, the car is rarely driven). I am wondering the same thing about sealing/waxing it. I was told it was not any worse than usual but I am a bit skeptical and will wax it today.

I can tell you the bird droppings I had on my hood (full wrap) were very, very difficult to remove...so at least that much of what you have been told is true in my limited experience. I hope others can shed further light on yellowing, etc. for you.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
maint is same as the paint. wax/polish once or twice a year with synthetic wax/polish.

hot sun will yellow the film over a few years. it'll be less visible on silver car. i don't think paint will be affected underneath by much. if worried, you can cover the whole panel.

bird dropping will dye the film if left for a while. it only protects rock chips.

i think it's worth it if you drive on freeway or high speed.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Maintenance not really an issue, the paint may have some discoloration especially white cars if left in the sun allot. Have had this done over the last 6 years on all the vehicles without probrlems.

Cheers,

Old 09-12-2011, 11:57 AM
jrohlf is infamous around these parts
I had a bird turd on my hood film for a week or so and it did leave a mark but I was able to rub it out pretty easily with some hand glaze.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
I have a 07 TT that I took to Premier for a front clear wrap. My car is also GT Silver and I would recommend it highly. After 4 years I cannot notice any yellowing. I garage my car but have 32k on it so its not a garage queen. I recommend using 2 products that Premier sells. The first product is PF 1 Film Cleanse. Using this product alone keeps it clean and clear. As an option you can follow up with PF Formula one Crystalline. Its expensive but these are the only products that I use for the clear bra. Premier sells them both. Personally I stay away from waxes cause I am afraid that some products might cause yellowing over time. I cant be sure about this but PF 1 Film cleanse does the job for me.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gradyex
I have a 07 TT that I took to Premier for a front clear wrap. My car is also GT Silver and I would recommend it highly. After 4 years I cannot notice any yellowing. I garage my car but have 32k on it so its not a garage queen. I recommend using 2 products that Premier sells. The first product is PF 1 Film Cleanse. Using this product alone keeps it clean and clear. As an option you can follow up with PF Formula one Crystalline. Its expensive but these are the only products that I use for the clear bra. Premier sells them both. Personally I stay away from waxes cause I am afraid that some products might cause yellowing over time. I cant be sure about this but PF 1 Film cleanse does the job for me.
Sir, how about bird drops? Are they hard to get out?
Do you wash regularly, then apply the flim cleanse and crystalline?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
I got my Exige done by Premier, and on my white car, the film started to look yellow after a couple years. There's really no way to avoid it. But on a dark car, it's impossible to notice unless you leave it baking in the sun all the time until the film turns opaque. On my black Cayman S that got done at the same time as the Exige, I couldn't tell if the film was changing color at all.

On a silver car, you may eventually notice it, but it should hold up for a few years. After a few years, you'd want to replace the film anyway since you're bound to get some pitting from rock chips.

How much is it for a full front wrap nowadays? I need to get my 911TT done.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by spf4000
I got my Exige done by Premier, and on my white car, the film started to look yellow after a couple years. There's really no way to avoid it. But on a dark car, it's impossible to notice unless you leave it baking in the sun all the time until the film turns opaque. On my black Cayman S that got done at the same time as the Exige, I couldn't tell if the film was changing color at all.

On a silver car, you may eventually notice it, but it should hold up for a few years. After a few years, you'd want to replace the film anyway since you're bound to get some pitting from rock chips.

How much is it for a full front wrap nowadays? I need to get my 911TT done.

25XX big ones.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:01 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap they are expensive now! I know they are really good, but WOW, their prices went up...a lot.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
ptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah $2500 for the front is a "little" high. Guess if people are paying it then the prices will stay the same. Definitely not getting that much out here in Texas...

Old 09-14-2011, 05:38 AM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
I've got clear bra on a 3 year old silver Benz, and the yellowing is noticeable, but only to me. No one else knows the car has a bra.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by mhh
I've got clear bra on a 3 year old silver Benz, and the yellowing is noticeable, but only to me. No one else knows the car has a bra.
HI mhh, do you have clear bra on your Porsche now??

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I need to give thumbs up to Moe @ GP and Krist @ Premier. Both are AWESOME people to talk to and very willing to help.

I've been in talk with both of them for couple of weeks about my concern. Both are proactive in calling each other on my behalf to come up with a good solution and recommendation.

As of today, Moe is using his own car as a test, and Chris will install different film to see their respective characteristics. They both agreed for me to wait until they are satisfied with their findings.

For both person to tell a willing customer to wait until they feel comfortable about their recommendation tell a lot about their business practice and integrity.

For the record, I’ve seen Premier’s work up close and their price is very fair and their work is very high quality.

Of course, Moe is highly recognized as a great detailer in my local area and will be my only detail guy for all of my cars.

Kudos to both.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
xpel makes a great cleaner and wax for these films

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protective Clear Bra Film Maintenance