997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Water to Air Intercooler setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
On Tuesday I will have some info hopefully on some new intercoolers I'm getting for my car.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John H.
For your situation an air-to-air IC is the best option by far. If I was you, I would upgrade to the 997.2 ICs if you're truly worried.

Search for earl3's opinions and findings on the .2 IC's....they're simply not the be-all, end-all solution everyone thinks they are.

I've always said since day one...yes, they are an improvement in terms of cooling efficiency. But they seriously lack the flow required to any car that's been upgraded (flash, turbos, etc).

Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I've always said since day one...yes, they are an improvement in terms of cooling efficiency. But they seriously lack the flow required to any car that's been upgraded (flash, turbos, etc).
I think Tom makes a valid point. The IAT data is very clear thanks to Earl but what about the flow? If you want to best your 60-130 time, is it better to have the 5"-ers or .2s on a high HP car?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
I think Tom makes a valid point. The IAT data is very clear thanks to Earl but what about the flow? If you want to best your 60-130 time, is it better to have the 5"-ers or .2s on a high HP car?
I've personally seen a 40whp difference on the dyno within 25 minutes on the same car, same day, same hardware, same tuning....all because of switching between a bell-core intercooler and ours.

Larger 5"-ers are amazing for flow...nothing can beat them. But the issue they have is cooling efficiency. There's simply too much core material to effectively cool the air as it travels through. A happy medium is the best solution...or, a better core material, like ours.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I've personally seen a 40whp difference on the dyno within 25 minutes on the same car, same day, same hardware, same tuning....all because of switching between a bell-core intercooler and ours.

Larger 5"-ers are amazing for flow...nothing can beat them. But the issue they have is cooling efficiency. There's simply too much core material to effectively cool the air as it travels through. A happy medium is the best solution...or, a better core material, like ours.
The Bells flow really great for sure. Even the Bell 3.5x8.0x14.9 core which is about the same size as OEM flows 978 cfm with only 1 psi pressure drop. There are instances however that one might prefer greater flow over cooling especially if they are generally running in cooler environments. Just get two sets and switch back and forth...

Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Former Vendor
The Bells flow really great for sure. Even the Bell 3.5x8.0x14.9 core which is about the same size as OEM flows 978 cfm with only 1 psi pressure drop. There are instances however that one might prefer greater flow over cooling especially if they are generally running in cooler environments. Just get two sets and switch back and forth...
haha you misunderstood. The Bells were a restriction! Replacing them with ours was the difference between 625 whp (with the Bells), and 665 whp (with our intercoolers) <-- all other factors constant. Maybe it was the end tank design of those particular intercoolers, or maybe there was another flaw in them....I can't say for sure.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:45 PM
haha you misunderstood. The Bells were a restriction! Replacing them with ours was the difference between 625 whp (with the Bells), and 665 whp (with our intercoolers) <-- all other factors constant. Maybe it was the end tank design of those particular intercoolers, or maybe there was another flaw in them....I can't say for sure.
Hah! So it was due mainly to flow and not IATs?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor
Hah! So it was due mainly to flow and not IATs?
The difference in IAT's was 2-3 degrees....nothing monumental. The increase in power came from flow. This particular car had our 68mm VTG's...so imagine you're using GT30's...the restriction would be even greater. (assuming you're not using a 5 inch core).

Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it's water to air intercooler setup topic?

my car is not gt3, it's turbo with gt3 rs fenders.

One clever guy responsible for gemballa top mount coolers design back days told me that there no intercooler that can do the job right in the stock position. there is not enough air passing the core, porsche designed it to cool down air which have temperature of 0.8 bar boost only.
maybe this is why ruf decided to take the air from different place a and notice all ruf cars are running with stock coolers without problems.

this is the reason why I decide to build water to air system and it was not easy to do.
btw now I'm measuring speed of air passing my core of heat ex changer, so I'm not sure if I finished.

if you have any questions just ask.
I have never seen air to air cooler shows 18C deference between ambient and intake during 0-300km'h acceleration but notice ambient was low.
I think you also should find what is going on here:

http://www.tpcracing.com/articles/tp...eir-750hp-ruf/

Last edited by 997 GT3 RS/TT; 09-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:27 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Carol, Gemballa used to place coolers in the engine bay, as old model Porsche. I don't think that's a better idea

Old 09-17-2011, 02:38 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
when car is moving I think cooler will get more air comparing to the present position. PSI race cars where running with top mount coolers too, I heard that they never noticed more that 20C difference during the race.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:54 AM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by landjet
I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't tried re-routing the car's A/C to feed the turbo intake side. Seems like a superior solution to me.
Insufficient flow is the first thing that comes to mind when I read your post

Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Couldn't that be compensated for by using a much stronger fan? A/C air is much cooler than any air to air intercooler can make. Since our cars all have A/C already in them anyway, it seems logical to install a vacuum diverter valve like what's in the car's heat/AC system to re-direct the cooled air into the engine intake, and then be able to switch it back to the cabin for off track use.

Champion, you guys do lots of R&D, doesn't this make sense to you? Just needs a different piping arrangement and a stronger fan.

Last edited by landjet; 09-17-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Couldn't that be compensated for by using a much stronger fan? A/C air is much cooler than any air to air intercooler can make. Since our cars all have A/C already in them anyway, it seems logical to install a vacuum diverter valve like what's in the car's heat/AC system to re-direct the cooled air into the engine intake, and then be able to switch it back to the cabin for off track use.

Champion, you guys do lots of R&D, doesn't this make sense to you? Just needs a different piping arrangement and a stronger fan.
The AC comp will disengage when at full throttle. The others issues are it can break the shaft under sudden and heavy loads and requires power to run. There are of course more than these points as to why you wouldn't, yet a quick post as to why.
The AC comp delete is one of the first things done for race cars.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
All those short comings could be overcome with different parts. People change parts all the time to mod their cars. I understand that race cars remove the A/C to save weight but we are talking about street cars that go to the track, not race cars. I'm sure this could be made to work with a little ingenuity.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water to Air Intercooler setup