997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Water to Air Intercooler setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Search for earl3's opinions and findings on the .2 IC's....they're simply not the be-all, end-all solution everyone thinks they are.

I've always said since day one...yes, they are an improvement in terms of cooling efficiency. But they seriously lack the flow required to any car that's been upgraded (flash, turbos, etc).
I'm not sure why you would tell me to search for his opinions when he and others in the two threads below highly praise the 997.2 ICs and berate the available aftermarket ICs including yours - especially for the price. I didn't see any comments from you or other aftermarket IC manufacturers in those threads refuting anything.

997.2 Intercoolers - Wow! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
earl3

Intercoolers...997,2 Vs 997,1...Game over... ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
skandalis447

I've also watched your youtube marketing video and all you talk about is flow testing. A straight pipe would flow test pretty well too. You talk about dyno testing in this thread, but the only purpose an IC serves on a dyno pull is as a large heat sink. It's more likely a restriction in flow in this environment since there isn't sufficient airflow through the IC for it to even begin to function as designed.

For a test that actually means something, do some trap speed passes at the track and record the AITs.

This is a thread about air-to-water ICs though.

John H

Last edited by John H.; 09-17-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
All those short comings could be overcome with different parts. People change parts all the time to mod their cars. I understand that race cars remove the A/C to save weight but we are talking about street cars that go to the track, not race cars. I'm sure this could be made to work with a little ingenuity.
They are not only removed for weight yet they require a clutch to operate as it has to cycle. The cycling keeps the evap core from freezing up and the high side from reaching excessive pressures. They are also used so that if the freon leaks out it does not run. The clutches will fail and comp shafts break. This in turn will cause a loss of the one belt used for the alt, cooling system , PS and other systems to fail. The earlier cars have a separate belt yet that failure in the Porsche often takes out the cooling and or alt belt.

The newer AC comps do not have a traditional clutch yet can regulate with valving in which is better. This though in the cycling or pressure controls still creates the drive to be the weakest link for fatigue.

The thermal drop rate for the Porsche Evap would not be able to sufficiently flow enough cool air to both IC's on a run. The cooling of a cabin with solar radiation gets up to a 20 degree drop at the vent and the volume of air is much less. You would have to use basically 2 integrated Evaps in the IC's with a separate switch able flow valve and expansion valve added to the system.

You could substitute the freon or AC with a cooled liquid or gas for individual runs however it would have to be monitored as the coolant would warm up and require re cooling or the gas would be lost. The re cooling of the coolant could be monitored and done in the car by circulating the water around the pipe closest to the expansion valve. The coolant would then be stored in a holding tank and used when required for circulation through the IC's.The control could be set up using the DME's IAT's and regulated or with a thermal switch.

Another way is to flow the coolant through a sep rad as the coolant to air ones are with fan in which would drop the temps yet only to a certain point as it could only cool to the ambient temp at that time. The extra cooling of the water to air system could utilize the expansion valve with holding tank as step theory introducing them as required.

Last edited by Softronic; 09-17-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: ****pit term in a airplane was subbed with cabin