997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Water to Air Intercooler setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Water to Air Intercooler setup

hello 6speeder ,
as you know boosted air should be cold as much as possible , many times i read about these setup , and asking why no body build one for Porsches , i just noticed that one member here who is GT3//RS useing this setup (THE ONLY) , as i think he built it by himself and am sure he is enjoying it very well ..
(i hope he share his Experience with us here )

countries like my country which has very hot weather and bad , it seems very usefull to have this kit into my car or yours if need !!!

maybe 2 things make me hesitate about this setup .. that it may leaks water and i should check the system every time !!!!!

so what do you think ? anybody think about it ?? or do it ???

any usefull info will be very grateful ..

YouseF

Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
I know factory SVT Mustangs and Lightnings use this. There's better saturation in the heat exchanger and cooling volume is as much as you want to make it, as opposed to relying on wind. I think it's a great idea. I second the motion. Anyone produce this?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ysfg35
hello 6speeder ,
as you know boosted air should be cold as much as possible , many times i read about these setup , and asking why no body build one for Porsches , i just noticed that one member here who is GT3//RS useing this setup (THE ONLY) , as i think he built it by himself and am sure he is enjoying it very well ..
(i hope he share his Experience with us here )

countries like my country which has very hot weather and bad , it seems very usefull to have this kit into my car or yours if need !!!

maybe 2 things make me hesitate about this setup .. that it may leaks water and i should check the system every time !!!!!

so what do you think ? anybody think about it ?? or do it ???

any usefull info will be very grateful ..

YouseF
he really had no choice i think , i thin he turbocharged his gt3 , so theres no side ducts for air to air intercoolers .

with that said, it does sound appealing but i think it would cost quite a bit and possibly not worth it ?

once the water to air IC gets heatsoaked it may take longer to cool down ??anyone ?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
he really had no choice i think , i thin he turbocharged his gt3 , so theres no side ducts for air to air intercoolers .

with that said, it does sound appealing but i think it would cost quite a bit and possibly not worth it ?

once the water to air IC gets heatsoaked it may take longer to cool down ??anyone ?
+1

bob

Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Yousef, which ICs are you using? Any chance that your ICs are not sufficient for your current needs? Rather than introducing complexity, perhaps a superior IC would be a simpler solution.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM
orygunturbo is infamous around these parts
I think it depends on the application. Couple of hard run with high outside temps, then CO2 spray is probably best since its so cold. Alwasys refilling can be PIA. Water would be next best. Certainly if heat soaked with water, it will take longer to cool off for the same reason it holds heat so well. Lots of trade-offs.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by orygunturbo
I think it depends on the application. Couple of hard run with high outside temps, then CO2 spray is probably best since its so cold. Alwasys refilling can be PIA. Water would be next best. Certainly if heat soaked with water, it will take longer to cool off for the same reason it holds heat so well. Lots of trade-offs.
I wonder if this is a legitimate concern about introducing complex setup - IATs remain extraordinarily low due to the water or CO2 setup. Car is tuned aggressively with timing and boost for an expected IAT. You run your car aggressively, and the setup fails, IATs climb higher than programmed parameters. Engine pulls boost and timing to save itself...or else, well, you can guess the rest.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Yousef, which ICs are you using? Any chance that your ICs are not sufficient for your current needs? Rather than introducing complexity, perhaps a superior IC would be a simpler solution.
Prolly too hot where he lives. Only so much an IC can do no matter how good it is. Ics need some external cooling help-best solution, imho.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 PM
I wonder if this is a legitimate concern about introducing complex setup - IATs remain extraordinarily low due to the water or CO2 setup. Car is tuned aggressively with timing and boost for an expected IAT. You run your car aggressively, and the setup fails, IATs climb higher than programmed parameters. Engine pulls boost and timing to save itself...or else, well, you can guess the rest.
Failure is always a concern with big power. Bad gas can ruin you. So best to put in reliable system (obviously). Everything considered, cooler is better. Computer will adjust to cooler temps. Even without external cooling, you can get heat soaked and damage that way too.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Just install a giant intercooler in place of your rear window and drive with the windows down all the time..

Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Bob i think it is.good stuff.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
For your situation an air-to-air IC is the best option by far. If I was you, I would upgrade to the 997.2 ICs if you're truly worried.

Air-to-water ICs have their perks, but those perks are for limited passes at a drag strip where the fluid in the IC has time to cool off or be replaced (with ice). For sustained driving such as on the street or a road course, the fluid will heat saturate rapidly providing minimal if any cooling to the charged air. Air-to water you'd also have a huge reservoir in your back seat area.

I was going to suggest that you use race gas, but I see you have a meth sprayer and Co2 IC sprayer. Depending on the volume you're spraying, the methanol should be enough alone to keep your charged air intake temps low and octane up to keep pre-detonation at bay. Alcohol and methanol go a long way to decrease intake temps.

John H

Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
am useing AP 3.5 ICs , as you know i tried 2 ways to make better results for iats under full throttle , and here are my My experiences :

the co2 is good to take out the heatsoak from the ICs and make it cold again but will do nothing under full throttle.

the meth injection is very important to run , i think you saw my thread about data log , meth injection lowered my iats from 38c to 28c under full throttle and this is very good ..

the main problem am facing now, that i should run methanol all the times to support the boosted air inside the engine and lower the IATs to protect and avoide the knock .. am afraid to run the methanol injection with race fuel ( vp109 or c16 ) , if i want to boost 1.8bar as example .. it will be much octane inside the engine .. and this may harm the performance ..

Old 09-15-2011, 05:39 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Wow 1.8 ... careful there ...

If you're worried about too much octane, just run water injection only ...

Old 09-15-2011, 05:55 AM
water will make the fuel burning slow and this is the last thing i want ..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Water to Air Intercooler setup