997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Former GT3 Owners Who Converted To Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
Cannga,
You are a great person. Thank you for all your help. I know that I will be taking a hit by selling the tts, but I would hate to spend more money and I still might not be convinced with the changes. The GT3 is not your typical daily driver, but I'm not your typical person wanting a car to take me from point A to B. I hope that I don't regret my decision on getting a GT3. My wife thinks that I need therapy, and I'm starting to agree with her. My diagnosis is cars-ADD.
I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing, do you? I understand your motives perfectly!

Do what you need to do but I do hope you at least take advantage of Turbo S's explosive PDK acceleration before unloading it. Good luck and have fun.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hoppity
I have a 10turbo with aftermarket exhaust, Bilstein Damptronic, custom alignment from evoms, their tune and r compounds. I have always wondered what a gt3 feels like to drive. The way everyone talks about gt3s I want to now what I am missing out on. After my mods the handling feels so much more tight on the track. Has anyone ever driven a setup like this and then a gt3 back to back?
Yes I have (see Car & Driver link someone posted above) - but my car unfortunately at that time only had Bilstein; I didn't have the great equalizer - the R comp yet. As such the GT3 overwhelmed my Turbo in tight corners: much faster speed because it has practically no body roll in comparison.

My very humble opinions: Where you are now is pretty good and you probably as fast as GT3 in high speed tracks already. However, if you want to take the GT3 in tight corners AND duplicates the subjective feel, you do need stiffer springs. I haven't talked about it too much because I don't want to make it sound too complicated and most people don't need it. But, the whole point about using coilover is it's designed with that in mind - you changing springs to your taste, anyway. I believe that anyone who tracks a lot might want to consider going to stage 4 below:

Suspension stages (roughly and arbitrarily):
1. Bilstein
2. Bilstein +
stiffer sway bars
3. Bilstein + stiffer sway bars + R comps
4. Bilstein + stiffer springs + stiffer sway bars + R comps

And then of course there are the solid heim joint links to further increase precision feel, and camber plate/lower control arms to increase negative camber, etc., for the hardcore track junkies here - but let's not talk about it for now as I don't want to scare people away LOL.
As you go from 1 to 4, as you already know we'll lose comfort and gain handling, but I do think 4 will get you to the point where you are going to yield very little to any GT3 in any track (other than the 300 lbs weight gain unfortunately). GT3 steering would still be better though (less assisted).
The place to get springs is Hypercoil and Swift Springs. The springs you wan to look for is 70mm ID, 6 inches long front, 8 inches rear. Your Bilstein is at approx. 330 front/560 rear. I would suggest 450/560 (where I am at right now, with Swift springs), or 450/612-670. Let your tuner test drives and gives suggestion too. Very easy to do - changing spring should cost no more than $300-400 per axle.
Swift Springs: http://www.swiftsprings.net/file/metric.pdf
Hyperco: http://www.hypercoils.com/PDF/70mm.pdf

Last edited by cannga; 10-02-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Has anyone sold their TT to go for a GT3 to use the car not just on a track but a daily?
I have had many turbos, the last one i had was an 2008 spec'd 997TT, great car, however all of the watercooled TT cars are fat and boring to me. I like involvement with the car when i drive, you got that with the aircooled cars. I recently drove a 7GT3, great car, i drove a 6GT3 and loved it. I bought the 6GT3, much more involvement and pure IMO

If you want fast, luxurious comfort and a Porsche the TT is the car. However, if you want a driving experience the 6GT3 is the car

Hope this helps

Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Karman
Can, another revelation! I thought that the 20hp/20ftlb advantage on the 997.2 would be a clear advantage, or at least noticeable on the road?! Actually the 997.1 TT is $40k cheaper than the 997.2. I've been looking for a month -- There aren't any 2009 TT CPO in Black/Black, 6sp, chrono with less than 8k miles... But, soon as I see it, I am going to pounce.

I am truly amazed at the persistent RMS leak on the GT3. Clearly the crankcase is under vacuum, but the seals should not be defective on a new car. Even after repeated seal replacements, I've heard that the design is defective. The argument of the rough crankcase against the seal causing the leak sounds inexcusable. I wonder if a 2011 GT3 leaks too?... That would be a deal breaker for me -- $140k car leaking oil on the garage.

Now that I am leaning towards the TT, there are so many GT3s for sale now, and hardly any excellent TT... Just one month ago, it was the other way around. I wonder if the used prices will go down in January for the 2009 cars?.... I have to wait loooonger....

Thanks again, Can, for all the great advice!!!! If you're ever in the Boston area, PLEASE drop me a note.... I owe you several drinks by now!
I would think nothing of the 20 hp difference between 997.1 versus 997.2 Turbo. All the advantage in lower range acceleration (0-60 times) is mainly from the PDK faster shift and no-boost-loss shifting. If you are going to get a manual 997.2 Turbo, I very seriously doubt you are going to feel a difference from a 20 hp change. As mentioned, very clearly at this point the most desirable Turbo would be a low mileage Mezger-engine 997.1 with PCCB brake (don't forget PCCB brake). If you see one, jump on it! I know color is very important, but I would rank PCCB as important as the color. No difference in stopping distance but the feel and initial bite is night and day different.

GT3's RMS: They've said the latest seal is a cure for 10 years runnning now. IMHO: there will never be a cure for GT3's RMS design-flaw; some owners get lucky, some don't, and hundreds of "how and why" tell you there is not going to be a cure. People do Ok with this but it did bother me (post warranty repair) and was a factor in my decision.

Considering there are so few GT3's on the market vs. Turbo (Isn't it 200-400 a year versus 2000 a year for Turbo?), the GT3's for sale should tell you that as great a car the GT3 is, it's not for everyone and it has pluses and minuses just like any other car. You can't go wrong getting one - but for example it's not even Porsche's best pure handling car. That honor for me belongs to the mid-engine Boxster/Cayman. I have no plan for Boston but sure will keep in touch if I pass by the area. Thanks and good luck.

Last edited by cannga; 10-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:30 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Guess what? I drove another GT3 this weekend. What a car! Like cannga said in a prior post, the GT3 is not for everyone, but it speaks to me loud and clear. I felt connected to the car like I have never experienced before with any other car. I believe, I have found what tickles my fancy:-)

Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Which option is a must in a GT3?
What do you guys think of bucket seat?
Ceramic brakes vs Steele brakes?
driving the car 80% on the street and maybe 20% track.
Thanks guys

Old 10-03-2011, 04:38 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
PCCB is a must, but the bucket seats weren't comfortable especially where the seat belt latches into - unless you go for the harness.

Cheers,

Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cannga
Yes I have (see Car & Driver link someone posted above) - but my car unfortunately at that time only had Bilstein; I didn't have the great equalizer - the R comp yet. As such the GT3 overwhelmed my Turbo in tight corners: much faster speed because it has practically no body roll in comparison.

My very humble opinions: Where you are now is pretty good and you probably as fast as GT3 in high speed tracks already. However, if you want to take the GT3 in tight corners AND duplicates the subjective feel, you do need stiffer springs. I haven't talked about it too much because I don't want to make it sound too complicated and most people don't need it. But, the whole point about using coilover is it's designed with that in mind - you changing springs to your taste, anyway. I believe that anyone who tracks a lot might want to consider going to stage 4 below:

Suspension stages (roughly and arbitrarily):
1. Bilstein
2. Bilstein +
stiffer sway bars
3. Bilstein + stiffer sway bars + R comps
4. Bilstein + stiffer springs + stiffer sway bars + R comps

And then of course there are the solid heim joint links to further increase precision feel, and camber plate/lower control arms to increase negative camber, etc., for the hardcore track junkies here - but let's not talk about it for now as I don't want to scare people away LOL.
As you go from 1 to 4, as you already know we'll lose comfort and gain handling, but I do think 4 will get you to the point where you are going to yield very little to any GT3 in any track (other than the 300 lbs weight gain unfortunately). GT3 steering would still be better though (less assisted).
The place to get springs is Hypercoil and Swift Springs. The springs you wan to look for is 70mm ID, 6 inches long front, 8 inches rear. Your Bilstein is at approx. 330 front/560 rear. I would suggest 450/560 (where I am at right now, with Swift springs), or 450/612-670. Let your tuner test drives and gives suggestion too. Very easy to do - changing spring should cost no more than $300-400 per axle.
Swift Springs: http://www.swiftsprings.net/file/metric.pdf
Hyperco: http://www.hypercoils.com/PDF/70mm.pdf
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that you could make things even better or customize it with stiffer springs. You really know your stuff when it comes to these cars!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Karman is infamous around these parts
I would think nothing of the 20 hp difference between 997.1 versus 997.2 Turbo. All the advantage in lower range acceleration (0-60 times) is mainly from the PDK faster shift and no-boost-loss shifting. If you are going to get a manual 997.2 Turbo, I very seriously doubt you are going to feel a difference from a 20 hp change. As mentioned, very clearly at this point the most desirable Turbo would be a low mileage Mezger-engine 997.1 with PCCB brake (don't forget PCCB brake). If you see one, jump on it! I know color is very important, but I would rank PCCB as important as the color. No difference in stopping distance but the feel and initial bite is night and day different.

GT3's RMS: They've said the latest seal is a cure for 10 years runnning now. IMHO: there will never be a cure for GT3's RMS design-flaw; some owners get lucky, some don't, and hundreds of "how and why" tell you there is not going to be a cure. People do Ok with this but it did bother me (post warranty repair) and was a factor in my decision.

Considering there are so few GT3's on the market vs. Turbo (Isn't it 200-400 a year versus 2000 a year for Turbo?), the GT3's for sale should tell you that as great a car the GT3 is, it's not for everyone and it has pluses and minuses just like any other car. You can't go wrong getting one - but for example it's not even Porsche's best pure handling car. That honor for me belongs to the mid-engine Boxster/Cayman. I have no plan for Boston but sure will keep in touch if I pass by the area. Thanks and good luck.
... I hope that you do. Thank you, Can. You are a great ambassador to the art and science of driving. You share your keen knowledge of these cars generously. I am not surprised that a prestigious magazine like C&D wrote about you in the article. The car guys are truly a great group. We all have to stick together to protect what little rights remain on the road and track.

You're right, Can. The GT3 isn't for everyone it seems. I hope to drive one again this wkd to compare with the experience of a TT. There's a guy selling a 997.2 GT3 4 only miles away, so I can't go wrong looking into it to compare.

I am glad that the 997.1 Mezger block is a keeper. PCCB will be a tough find, but will try to seize the opportunity if it comes my way. After I drive it for a while, I'll see what I'd like to improve upon. When the warranty is up, I'd like to add a GT2 like wing done with good taste. I don't like some of the cheesy looking wings that look like field goals. The exhaust, suspension, and engine mods might be in the cards too..... Ahh, I just have to find one NOW!

You guys are the best!

Last edited by Karman; 10-03-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^^ come on and buy the car already!

less talk, more action.

oh and pics pleeeze!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Which option is a must in a GT3?
What do you guys think of bucket seat?
Ceramic brakes vs Steele brakes?
driving the car 80% on the street and maybe 20% track.
Thanks guys
Congrats. Looks like you found your calling. PCCB is a must for street because of the un-sprung weight saving and the incredible initial bite; for track, I am uncertain unless you are rich, rich, rich. Just read up on it and ask on GT3 forum. There is a history of damage when used at the track and it seems to me people who track their car tend to use the iron brake.

Bucket seat: Beautiful and very appropriate for a track car, but this is the sort of seat that you fall into and climb out of. The high thigh bolster makes it impossible to swing your legs and get out the normal way IMHO. If you are older and/or have back pain, I would be careful about ordering it.

Just curious: Which aspect of the Turbo S that you dislike the most, that causes you to get rid of it so quickly? The soft suspension? The PDK?

Last edited by cannga; 10-04-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
997CarreraS is infamous around these parts
Karman, i moved from a 07 GT3 to a 2010 Turbo. But i could not stand the 997.2 Turbo ride height. So i immediately bought New H&R springs and lowered it back to my GT3 ride height. I also have the Aero kit and so the front spoiler (Painted) often scrapes. I have to be careful in and out of driveways but i would rather have the firmness and ride higher similar to the GT3 than the Turbo. I keep a black Marker in my glove box to touch up the spoiler.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Congrats. Looks like you found your calling. PCCB is a must for street because of the un-sprung weight saving and the incredible initial bite; for track, I am uncertain unless you are rich, rich, rich. Just read up on it and ask on GT3 forum. There is a history of damage when used at the track and it seems to me people who track their car tend to use the iron brake.

Bucket seat: Beautiful and very appropriate for a track car, but this is the sort of seat that you fall into and climb out of. The high thigh bolster makes it impossible to swing your legs and get out the normal way IMHO. If you are older and/or have back pain, I would be careful about ordering it.

Just curious: Which aspect of the Turbo S that you dislike the most, that causes you to get rid of it so quickly? The soft suspension? The PDK?
Can,

There was nothing really to dislike. The car is an amazing work of art. It has so much power that it's scary fast.

The suspension is softer than I would prefer. The PDK is something else...I have driven many cars in the past, and there is nothing out there that comes close to the way the PDK handles. The PDK is outstanding!

The paddle shifting on the other hand did not keep me connected/excited to the experience. The engine is louder than the normal tt, but not enough to put a smile on my face. The car could have worked for me in maybe 20 yrs, but at the moment I am looking for a car that could wake up all my senses. I want to get in the car, and feel like I am driving a street/race car with some level of comfort. Is this possible?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Hoppity
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that you could make things even better or customize it with stiffer springs. You really know your stuff when it comes to these cars!
I have the TPC stage III Bilstein set up. They change the valving and use stiffer springs, with linear rate springs in at least the front, if I recall. Speak to them, these are highly modifiable dampers, but you need to know what you're doing if you're going to deviate from they way they come. Any good tuner can help. Definitely does transform the car. Add a EP2 and a tune, .... wheels, and you've really got something. I'm glad I got the 997.1 (PCCBs, etc.), will drive it for lots of years.