997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Found a simple fix for the Y-Pipe comming loose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM
her0 is infamous around these parts
Found a simple fix for the Y-Pipe comming loose

This problem has been annoying me for the past week. The dealer wants to replace the rubber boot leading into the Y-Pipe but this part is $150. Totally unacceptable for a piece of rubber IMO.

I removed the Y-Pipe and the rubber boot then cleaned then both of their lips with Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. I have been boosting hard for some time now and have not had any issues.

It is worth noting that I first tried replacing the hose clamp on Y-Pipe but it failed.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:16 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
To be honest I haven't understood what you have actually done

I have bought an IPD silicone reducer from Dave @ GreenMotorSport which fits much better than the cheap original rubber.
I haven't installed it yet but I have tried it on my old Y-pipe and it fits perfect. It also has inside lips that fit in the gap, even without the T-clamp it's difficult to pull out

Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Always check parts at sonnen or Suncoast, most always cheaper than dealer.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM
IFlyYou is infamous around these parts
Yeah, the MAF cleaner should definitely help or I've even used hair spray in the past and it works great.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
What is MAF cleaner ?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 AM
IFlyYou is infamous around these parts
Not sure what the OP used, but I've used CRC in the past: http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mass.../dp/B000J19XSA

Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Thank you for the info, I still cannot see how a cleaner will help the reducer not to pop.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor
Hoen is infamous around these parts
It can get a touch greasy in there but the main issue with this part is it wears if its been on and off the car a few times. There is also a small part on the throttle body that breaks off all the time which may create more movement than 'normal' under acceleration.

I dont have a picture handy but if you look at the oem throttle body, left side, see if your connector is broken. You would never notice it unless your looking specifically for it.

Overtorquing also causes the rubber to slip, its a real pain to do it right.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I' had some problems with this on and off when I had some warranty work done a while ago. I pretty much refuse to turn a wrench on my car, but I did end up having to use a little hairspray on the inside of the silicone couplers to help it stick.

Another neat trick if you have trouble keeping the twin clamps on is to zip-tie the heads of them together. Not something I would want to do permanently but it works well to keep them on until you can replace the parts. The clamps can't come off, works great.

Since I've had the silicone couplers and the Y-pipe replaced (also under warranty) I haven't had any problems with them popping off.