997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Cel - p0021

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Update for those interested.....I ended up pulling and pinning both intake camshafts...only the bank 2 sleeve had rotated and it had rotated ALL the way around...blocking ALL oil flow to the actuator. Protomotive did the pinning....and all has been prefect for over 1k miles. **** luck for me but all is well and definately one less potential issue in the future.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by edelectra
It's def pass cam spun . You can repair and pin cam so it doesn't happen again .
Sensors are going to be swapped from bank2 to bank 1 and viceversa to see if the problem follows the other bank. If it does, then the problem is in the sensors. I am hopeful this is the case. If the problem stays in bank 2, no choice but to have the cams looked at for sleeve rotation.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
This is a follow up on the problem I had about 2 months ago.

As stated in previous posts, the sensors and actuators were swapped from one side to the other. During this process, we cleaned both of them pretty good and re-installed. I am happy to inform that the problem has not come back. At least, not that silly code.

I have had to deal with another issue. I believe the tune from EVOMS is slightly rich and about once a month or so I would get a "running too rich" on both banks. I would check the code and reset it. During the last 30-45 days, I have been getting "random misfires" and it would manifest in the car running rough and missing on cylinders 1/2/3.

I have put about 2,000 miles in the last 2 months as I did the Crescent Event in Arkansas (what a hoot by the way). I went through a set of tires, brakes and rotors so you can get an idea of how fun it was.

The problem with with the "random misfires" was happening more often and we attributed to the spark plugs as those things have been there for about 10,000 miles now, and considering the car runs slightly rich, then it could make sense.

The plugs looked fouled so I am hoping that was the case. This past weekend, plugs, brakes, rotors and fluid were replaced and after some 30 miles, all seems to be ok now. Tires will be in tomorrow and hope the car is good for a while.

So in conclusion, if you are getting the cell P0021, you might want to clean your sensors first. I am not saying that is going to fix the problem, but, it could.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I have had to deal with another issue. I believe the tune from EVOMS is slightly rich and about once a month or so I would get a "running too rich" on both banks. I would check the code and reset it. During the last 30-45 days, I have been getting "random misfires" and it would manifest in the car running rough and missing on cylinders 1/2/3.
That's what I was going through w/ my car awhile back. Did you use a scanner and look at real time data by chance? You'd see the long term fuel trims climb up until they got pegged at around +32 and then you'd get the "too rich" codes. Were those two codes accompanied by an "air intake leak" code by chance?

We went through everything on my car looking for mechanical problems (like a leak) but there's just nothing there. Finally EVOMS did a new tune for me and it's been fine. The long term fuel trims still climb to about +15 but stay there.

Glad your cam codes got cleared up!

Cam

Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by UTPorsche
That's what I was going through w/ my car awhile back. Did you use a scanner and look at real time data by chance? You'd see the long term fuel trims climb up until they got pegged at around +32 and then you'd get the "too rich" codes. Were those two codes accompanied by an "air intake leak" code by chance?

We went through everything on my car looking for mechanical problems (like a leak) but there's just nothing there. Finally EVOMS did a new tune for me and it's been fine. The long term fuel trims still climb to about +15 but stay there.

Glad your cam codes got cleared up!

Cam
We did not have a chance to scan and look at RT data but that was going to be next if the plugs did not solve it. The tune has been on the car for about 3 1/2 years so I thought it might not be a bad idea to get it checked and updated just in case also...

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 AM
///M Huggie is infamous around these parts
I've read through the thread and realized no one ever answered the question on how much it costs to pin the cam. Is this something you can do in lieu of replacing the cam, or something that needs to be done while replacing the cam? I'd like to avoid the whole engine out thing.

My dealer actually told me to thrash the car and let it fix itself. Sounds like a fun fix, especially compared to the alternative.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///M Huggie
I've read through the thread and realized no one ever answered the question on how much it costs to pin the cam. Is this something you can do in lieu of replacing the cam, or something that needs to be done while replacing the cam? I'd like to avoid the whole engine out thing.

My dealer actually told me to thrash the car and let it fix itself. Sounds like a fun fix, especially compared to the alternative.
It is done in lieu of replacing the cam. But the engine does have to come out to get it done. I think it's around 500 bucks for the pinning (not including the labour to get the camshafts out).

I think your dealer is on to something - I posted earlier in this thread that driving the snot out of the car seemed to cause the cel to go away. I did end up with camshaft replacement b/c it was under warranty.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
DONT thrash the car. It will NOT fix it. If the cam is rotating then it's rotating...no amount of driving will fix it permanently.
Protomotive charges $450 to pin both cams. The fix is NOT cheap...all in all put aside ~$7000.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
It is done in lieu of replacing the cam. But the engine does have to come out to get it done. I think it's around 500 bucks for the pinning (not including the labour to get the camshafts out).

I think your dealer is on to something - I posted earlier in this thread that driving the snot out of the car seemed to cause the cel to go away. I did end up with camshaft replacement b/c it was under warranty.
Ouch, it looks like a temporary solution then.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
DONT thrash the car. It will NOT fix it. If the cam is rotating then it's rotating...no amount of driving will fix it permanently.
Protomotive charges $450 to pin both cams. The fix is NOT cheap...all in all put aside ~$7000.
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case. Thanks for the quick responses, gents!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///M Huggie

Protomotive tuning pinned mine, $540

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Had mine replaced under warranty probably 4 yrs ago & that problem hasn't come back ,however just recently we figured out that my timing is off by 8 degree's & causing issues fine tuning my car.Apparently there's a trick where they can replace the cam without pulling the motor, only problem is they can't get the tool in there to set timing ,so they just keep messing with it until they get it to 8 degree's,which is the magic # to not throw the dreaded p0021 cell.So i now have to revisit this problem to get my car running correctly.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Find another mechanic. Changing the cam with the motor in the car is stupid....I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that it can't even be done.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:04 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Find another mechanic. Changing the cam with the motor in the car is stupid....I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that it can't even be done.
+1 I've heard you have to take the motor out to do it correctly.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I just got the P0021 again. This sucks!! We repaired it around 38k mile and now I have 58k and out of warranty. Swell... Anyone now a shop in Houston that will pin the cams? I will try swapping the actuators first. Just need to find the time and cash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cel - p0021