997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Looking for More Low End

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
jrohlf is infamous around these parts
Looking for More Low End

My 997.1 with EVOMSit, Cargraphic exhaust, GT3 throttle body + Werks plenum seems to have a torque curve similar to most dyno sheets I've seen with max torque somewhere between 3500 and 4000 rpm.

What I really want is max torque below 3000 rpm and the question is how best to achieve that. The car has more than enough top end power so I would gladly sacrifice some (blasphemy, I know) for more low end. At this point it seems that headers or turbos would be the next upgrade. My preference would be headers but internet wisdom (oxymoron?) is divided on whether long tube or short tube headers are best for turbo spool. Upgraded VTG turbos would be a bigger commitment and it seems that these turbos target high end HP over low end torque in addition to requiring all the supporting modes of intercoolers etc.

Ideally, I'd like to see a tuner develop a kit strictly for low end torque. Any takers?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:49 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Since upgrading from the EVT580 to the EVT700 (including headers and VTG turbos) I have noticed the turbos start spooling at a much lower rpm. 3000rpm seems to be the switch point from nice and calm to kick-in-the-pants torque. I plan on a dyno in the near future. Unfortunately, never had a stock or EVT580 dyno done...

Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Switching back to Stock TB/Plenum should give you bottom end.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
switching back to stock tb/plenum should give you bottom end.
++++++++++1

Old 09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Even with stock TB and plenum, I don't think you will achieve peak tq below 3K in 3/4 gears. Imho, you will need different turbos for that.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
jrohlf is infamous around these parts
I might swap out the TB and log some Durametric runs to verify but I don't think it should make a big difference. Sharky recommended the TB/plenum to me over headers for boost response improvement.

Upgraded turbos pretty much means going to full EVT700 if I want to stay with an evoms package, and that's overkill for what I'm after. I'm not crazy about mixing and matching turbos and software from different tuners so it looks like my best option is going to the EVT600 package. Interestingly, the EVT600 shows a 500rpm earlier torque peak than the EVT580 with the only difference between the packages being headers.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
That's a nice gain for headers (and who said headers don't do anything--lol). I'm wondering if the tune is tweaked a bit too?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:42 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jrohlf
My 997.1 with EVOMSit, Cargraphic exhaust, GT3 throttle body + Werks plenum seems to have a torque curve similar to most dyno sheets I've seen with max torque somewhere between 3500 and 4000 rpm.

What I really want is max torque below 3000 rpm and the question is how best to achieve that. The car has more than enough top end power so I would gladly sacrifice some (blasphemy, I know) for more low end. At this point it seems that headers or turbos would be the next upgrade. My preference would be headers but internet wisdom (oxymoron?) is divided on whether long tube or short tube headers are best for turbo spool. Upgraded VTG turbos would be a bigger commitment and it seems that these turbos target high end HP over low end torque in addition to requiring all the supporting modes of intercoolers etc.

Ideally, I'd like to see a tuner develop a kit strictly for low end torque. Any takers?
The fastest spooling turbo I know of (even has good top end) is the Tial Alpha 28. With all the supporting mods in third gear, they start max spool at 3100 or so with a really amazing 0.955g at 59 mph (3700 or so). See first graph. There the g (green) line has essentially a 1:1 relationship with torque. I dont know any turbo that can spin early enough to give max torque below 3000 though. The A28 will outspool modded VTGs usually. See second graph...

Switzer uses these turbos in his P800 kit.

Attached Images  
Attached Images

Last edited by MBailey; 09-20-2011 at 04:48 PM.