997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

TPMS question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
TPMS question.

When I set my tire pressures to the pressures noted on the door sill sticker, the TPMS reads the correct pressure but states that I am 3 to 4 psi too high. Why is this? Is the system programmed improperly so that it does not know what the correct specs are (i.e. on the sticker)?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
did you select winter or summer tires on the RDK menu?

Last edited by Alcyon; 09-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
It is set to summer.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Periokid
When I set my tire pressures to the pressures noted on the door sill sticker, the TPMS reads the correct pressure but states that I am 3 to 4 psi too high. Why is this? Is the system programmed improperly so that it does not know what the correct specs are (i.e. on the sticker)?
The sticker on my car lists the 'fully loaded' (37/44) tire pressures whereas the manual states 33/39 for lightly loaded or normal. There is a place to set this under 'Set/TPMS' as well although if you used the 37/44 numbers this is probably already set correctly explaining why you get the high reading.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
The sticker on my car lists the 'fully loaded' (37/44) tire pressures whereas the manual states 33/39 for lightly loaded or normal. There is a place to set this under 'Set/TPMS' as well although if you used the 37/44 numbers this is probably already set correctly explaining why you get the high reading.
So am I setting my pressure too high? Car is certainly not fully loaded.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I like about about 33/39 for general driving; 37/44 is too high. The TPMS sensors read about 2-3 psi lower than a good gauge.

Set your pressures and then use the PCM to reset the tire pressures monitoring and you should be good to go. I have been too lazy to read the manual so I am not sure if the TPMS low pressure warning has an absolute threshold or is relative to your initial setting.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:15 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Periokid
So am I setting my pressure too high? Car is certainly not fully loaded.
Let's just say it wouldn't be optimal at those pressures. I would back them off 3-4lbs front and rear UNLESS you're loading up 300Kg (~660lb) in the car.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by sparkhill
I like about about 33/39 for general driving; 37/44 is too high. The TPMS sensors read about 2-3 psi lower than a good gauge.

Set your pressures and then use the PCM to reset the tire pressures monitoring and you should be good to go. I have been too lazy to read the manual so I am not sure if the TPMS low pressure warning has an absolute threshold or is relative to your initial setting.
I think your mileage may vary on the sensor reading as mine on 2 different sets of wheels are easily within .5lb of several very high quality gauges I use.

I am wondering what and how you use the PCM to set TPMS values.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:04 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
I think your mileage may vary on the sensor reading as mine on 2 different sets of wheels are easily within .5lb of several very high quality gauges I use.

I am wondering what and how you use the PCM to set TPMS values.
Wow! I wish I could get even within 1 psi on either set of my wheels.

I wasn't clear in my post. AFAIK, there is no way to use the PCM to set TPMS values. What I was referring to was reseting the TPMS (like we all do when we change wheels).