997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche PDK vs BMW DCT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Porsche PDK vs BMW DCT

I had an e93 BMW M3 with DCT. Now I have a Porsche with PDK.

You would never know these cars use the same technology. The BMW shifts faster and responded instantly to paddle inputs. It is also more adjustable. It has multiple settings from soft to super fast and hard. I loved it.

While I love the PDK it simply does not compare to the DCT. I assume it is all in the programming. Why did Porsche make it so soft and unresponsive to inputs? Even on Sport plus is it slow to respond. Also the BMW in the fast settings made you really feel the shift. It was awesome.

I hope this changes someday via a program upgrade or something.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
nreddy is infamous around these parts
love X5M with DCT-rthat being said I have never driven a PDK-have a 6SMan. Have driven the 458 Italia on a track with DCT-beautiful shifts-hopefully my next big purchase.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nreddy
love X5M with DCT-rthat being said I have never driven a PDK-have a 6SMan. Have driven the 458 Italia on a track with DCT-beautiful shifts-hopefully my next big purchase.
The X5M has the ZF built M sport auto it is not available with a DCT transmission.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 AM
as far as I am aware my car has a 7 seep DCT(Canada).

Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 AM
7 speed sorry

Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am not sure if some of the rapid shifts comparison is tainted by the fact that one car is a Turbo and the other is normally aspirated . They are such different cars. For the record my 08 as well as my 2011 M3 are both manual 6 speed . I shyed away from buying the DCT in 08 because there were a few issues with it . I do realize that that BMW offers a lot of settings but with that I have read some complaints (that it's too many settings for daily use).

I have the PDK in my 09 997S (I also still have my manual 07 Turbo too ) . I bought the PDK because i wanted to try it and the deals at that time were great . In sport plus mode the shifts are so fast that i am amazed . I usually drive it in "sport" mode with manual shifting and I still feel its fast . I am NOT pleased with the auto modes at all .

I feel the closer comparison might be to try both systems back to back on an NA car .

Lastly .. I am not sure if my next car will be a manual or PDK. If it's a Turbo I would want PDK.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
When the shifts occur they are speedy, you are correct. That is not really my issue. My biggest complaint is that in manual mode, when I demand a shift, it takes time to make that shift actually occur. My m3, in any mode, shifted on command. The shifts, especially the 1-2 shift, just don't happen when I want to in manual mode. The other less important complaint is feeling the shifts. In the more aggressive settings in the M3 you can really feel the shifts, made it very sporty. The PDK feels like a regular automatic all the time.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:13 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
as far as I am aware my car has a 7 seep DCT(Canada).
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/newvehicles/...ission.html?x5

Speed transmitter.
Six-speed M Sport automatic transmission.

Direct power and superb responsiveness in every driving situation. The M Sport automatic transmission sets sporting standards thanks to extremely quick gear changes. In manual mode, shift times are incredibly short across all six gears, which impressively minimizes the interruption of power and improves acceleration. The M shift paddles on the steering wheel can be used at any time. For those all-important fractions of a second.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Periokid
When the shifts occur they are speedy, you are correct. That is not really my issue. My biggest complaint is that in manual mode, when I demand a shift, it takes time to make that shift actually occur. My m3, in any mode, shifted on command. The shifts, especially the 1-2 shift, just don't happen when I want to in manual mode. The other less important complaint is feeling the shifts. In the more aggressive settings in the M3 you can really feel the shifts, made it very sporty. The PDK feels like a regular automatic all the time.
I believe that is the car placing you in 7th gear in the highway and when you stop on it the car needs to go perhaps 2 or 3 lower. I remedy this by hitting the downshift lever 2 or 3 times. Make the pass and it returns to full auto mode on short order. I love the pdk. Never thought of it as slow in any way.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Gerardo is infamous around these partsGerardo is infamous around these parts
From my experience the PDK is shift more direct and quick on N/A Car than Turbo.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by JSF721
I believe that is the car placing you in 7th gear in the highway and when you stop on it the car needs to go perhaps 2 or 3 lower. I remedy this by hitting the downshift lever 2 or 3 times. Make the pass and it returns to full auto mode on short order. I love the pdk. Never thought of it as slow in any way.
I am speaking mainly of paddle commands. When I push shift, especially from 1st gear, the car does not shift right away. There is always a delay before the shift commences. The shifts themselves are smooth and fast. On the BMW, if I hit the upshift paddle, the car shifted without delay.

Maybe there is a problem with my car but I don't think so because I drove a boxster spyder with pdk and it did the same thing.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
^^

What your saying sounds normal... I wish the response was quicker too, but I think all turbo PDK cars are like that.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Periokid
I am speaking mainly of paddle commands. When I push shift, especially from 1st gear, the car does not shift right away. There is always a delay before the shift commences. The shifts themselves are smooth and fast. On the BMW, if I hit the upshift paddle, the car shifted without delay.

Maybe there is a problem with my car but I don't think so because I drove a boxster spyder with pdk and it did the same thing.
Interesting observation and discussion!

I've driven Turbo PDK, Cayman PDK, and Boxster PDK; thought they shift fast enough but I didn't have another system to compare to.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
7 speed sorry
X5M's are 6 Speed Auto Transmissions. Your X5M is a 6 Speed as well. When in D notice the car only goes to 6 even if you upshift.

(PS - I have a X5M as well)

Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 PM
K thx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche PDK vs BMW DCT