997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Protomotive 983whp/963tq Stock Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
orygunturbo is infamous around these parts
Dude, That is simply mind boggling. Blows me away. I don't know how much these motors can take right out of the box but that's some serious numbers on any dyno (unless the numbers are inflated somehow, sometimes corrections factors will do this, not saying this is). I really like the shape of your tq/hp curves. Doesn't die off like many I've seen recently. That thing is tuned with precision. I guess it has to be at those levels. Good luck with it.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Sledge only recorded 915rwhp on a DJ when we retuned it, it would go into tire shake on the dyno, so we turned it up on the street, that is when we ran the 4.25 60-130, I think that is the only way we could compare these two cars.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Sledge only recorded 915rwhp on a DJ when we retuned it, it would go into tire shake on the dyno, so we turned it up on the street, that is when we ran the 4.25 60-130, I think that is the only way we could compare these two cars.
Absolutely. Dynos are good for waving your d*ck around, but real world is where it's at

Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Absolutely. Dynos are good for waving your d*ck around, but real world is where it's at

Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
That is serious power Dave, congrats!

Being a dynapack, it is sorta in a league of it's own because it measures the power at the axles with no additional rotating mass such as wheels, tire slippage, so in that respect it is likely more consistent. Not sure I could give a blanket conversion percentage for what your car would make on a mustang or a dynojet or the like.
Dynapacks, while generally considered more accurate, ON AVERAGE read about 8%-10% higher than Dynojets and about 15%-20% higher than Mustang dynos, partially because the drivetrain loss of actually turning the wheels and the losses caused from transferring that power from the tires to the roller are no longer there. That said, Dynapacks can be calibrated to give Dynojet numbers, so those percentages up there aren't a given. You can make a Dynapack or Mustang read anything you want by changing the load values.

Also, when I say accurate it is not to say that the number it gives is better but rather that the results are more consistently repeatable, giving a better view of how much power you've actually added via mods or tuning when you dyno again and when comparing to other cars dynoed at the same place. Tuning is the only useful way to use a dyno plot given that the day's conditions and calibration of different dynos can result in wildly different numbers even for the same car, make comparing different dyno plots from across the country an inexact science at best.

So when will anyone understand that dyno numbers are arbitrary? Run it in the 1/4 mile to show actual power. Please no 60-130 times.

John H

Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
orygunturbo is infamous around these parts
Unless your junk is on the short end of the stick. Ultimately it wll boil down to real numbers but this dyno is the real deal. Maybe not as much as a Mustang but it is putting out some massive power. You can't deny that. You also have to look at the reputation of the tuner. How well known is the person, is he known to inflate numbers, validation with street times, etc....

Last edited by orygunturbo; 10-07-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John H.
Dynapacks, while generally considered more accurate, ON AVERAGE read about 8%-10% higher than Dynojets and about 15%-20% higher than Mustang dynos, partially because the drivetrain loss of actually turning the wheels and the losses caused from transferring that power from the tires to the roller are no longer there. That said, Dynapacks can be calibrated to give Dynojet numbers, so those percentages up there aren't a given. You can make a Dynapack or Mustang read anything you want by changing the load values.

Also, when I say accurate it is not to say that the number it gives is better but rather that the results are more consistently repeatable, giving a better view of how much power you've actually added via mods or tuning when you dyno again and when comparing to other cars dynoed at the same place. Tuning is the only useful way to use a dyno plot given that the day's conditions and calibration of different dynos can result in wildly different numbers even for the same car, make comparing different dyno plots from across the country an inexact science at best.

So when will anyone understand that dyno numbers are arbitrary? Run it in the 1/4 mile to show actual power. Please no 60-130 times.

John H
Agreed on all points except the last. While a good indicator of power, 1/4 times are very operator dependent and certainly not as easily reproducible as a 60-130 time.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Looks good & welcome to the Proto E85 club how long before you get her back ?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
Forget all the numbers because they just cause controversy in the end. Forget it all. If it is a number it is too easy to say it is larger or smaller than another, we have been taught this since grade school. Sometimes I wish I could just post a dyno graph with no HP or TQ readings, just the curve vs rpm.

How does the car feel, are you pleased with the end result when you are driving it? At the end of the day, for most people, that is what matters most.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Good one Ed. When I use the mens room, I have to warn the guys next to me that "OK gents, I'm shaking to the left and now I'm gonna shake to the right"
Where did you ever dig up that photo of me.

Originally Posted by twturbo
Looks good & welcome to the Proto E85 club how long before you get her back ?
Good question. Todd sends me this dyno and then disappears for a few days--lol. I haven't talked to him since. He did say he needs to adjust the fueling. God knows why. Maybe he wants to break 1K on his dyno.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Maybe he wants to break 1K on his dyno.
If you are already at 983, I would insist that he break 1K before he sends it back!

No emphasis on "break" mind you...

Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM
sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
If you are already at 983, I would insist that he break 1K before he sends it back!

Push the easy button to 2.0 bar that should = 1001

Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey

You have a way with words. Point well taken, tho.

Originally Posted by sid350
Push the easy button to 2.0 bar that should = 1001
If anything, I'm moving the dial back.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 PM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
Forget all the numbers because they just cause controversy in the end. Forget it all. If it is a number it is too easy to say it is larger or smaller than another, we have been taught this since grade school. Sometimes I wish I could just post a dyno graph with no HP or TQ readings, just the curve vs rpm.

How does the car feel, are you pleased with the end result when you are driving it? At the end of the day, for most people, that is what matters most.
Well said neil .

Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Great numbers. Stellar results for a stock block!!

E85 can get addicting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive 983whp/963tq Stock Motor