997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Protomotive 983whp/963tq Stock Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
You're welcome to give my car a whirl as long as you promise not to fry the clutch
Bonehead,
PM sent your way. Thanks,

Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Bonehead,
PM sent your way. Thanks,
Email sent

Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Wow Dave - I am speechless. Congrats and be careful. I usually am not interested in super high power application but this one I will need to make an exception: if you are in Southern Cal. and you don't mind, I would like come along when you test this beast ***PLEASE*** (hopefully weekends?). It would be a learning experience for me I am sure!

I wouldn't think this highly reputable and seasoned veteran of a tuner will post dyno's without having done some timed runs already? Dave & Todd are just prolonging the suspension, er suspense LOL, and anticipation. For fun, my bet: 10 to 1 the times, either 60-130 or 1/4 mile, are stupid fast and Todd already knows it. The only question is how "stupid" it is.

Last edited by cannga; 10-09-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:30 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
I would like come along when you test this beast. It would be a learning experience for me I am sure!
You and me both, Can

Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
WOW!

Congrats on the record!!!!!

I'm curious how the car is to drive, both every day on the street, as well as on the track. Any plans to try and set a 1/4 mile record, or take it to the Texas Mile?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Wow Dave - I am speechless. Congrats and be careful. I usually am not interested in super high power application but this one I will need to make an exception: if you are in Southern Cal. and you don't mind, I would like come along when you test this beast ***PLEASE*** (hopefully weekends?). It would be a learning experience for me I am sure!

I wouldn't think this highly reputable and seasoned veteran of a tuner will post dyno's without having done some timed runs already? Dave & Todd are just prolonging the suspension, er suspense LOL, and anticipation. For fun, my bet: 10 to 1 the times, either 60-130 or 1/4 mile, are stupid fast and Todd already knows it. The only question is how "stupid" it is.
You and me both, Can
Thanks Can and Ed. We'll definitely take it out for a spin. You're not going to like the suspension but once you nail it, you'll probably won't be thinking about that --lol. I'm 99.9% sure Todd has not road tested it. First there's the fuel pressure issue that needs to be tweaked plus he would have to trailer it down that 2 mi rocky road of his. I'm not even sure there's a good stretch of road up there where he could let it out. Where he lives in the Ozarks, the terrain is more aligned for suspension testing.
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
WOW!

Congrats on the record!!!!!

I'm curious how the car is to drive, both every day on the street, as well as on the track. Any plans to try and set a 1/4 mile record, or take it to the Texas Mile?
Cheers, thanks! I'll definitely post my impressions once I get the car back. I don't think the motor will hold up to a mile at that power level but some quick sprints could be interesting.

Last edited by TTdude; 10-09-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !

F'in sick numbers, and all this time I thought the limitations were right at 750rwhp.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
LOL. It went kinda like this....

Todd, Todd, I know you're there...please pick up, please--lol.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
lol.
You'll need a different suspension. I was at the track this weekend and the guys in the pits told me that when I accelerated out of the last turn down the straightaway in 3rd gear the front of the car was being lifted by the acceleration (not off the ground, just obviously squatting). And that's with your old vtgs!!!! Just imagine what yours will do. Probably flip the car upside down if you accelerate too fast! Just get the wheely-bars now, and never try to parallel park again.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Any news on the build, Dave?

Hey Ed, Here's an email I received from Todd when he took my car out on a recent road test. I may have some more stuff done to it since right now the motor is completely stock and as you aptly said to me before, "better build that motor!" I don't want to leave any power on the table and I probably could even get more out of it (not that I need it) with some pretty straightforward strenthening measures. Somebody asked about AFRs. Those are spot on. In fact, everything has to be spot on with the tuning at these levels. Dave

------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 9:09 AM

1.3-1.35 the car is literally an animal… Just amazing for only 1.3. That fuel is sick stuff!!!<O</O
<O</O
The drivability is just like stock. The boost response is way better than ms109, and has boost response like a good tuned vgt car! I thought that stuff would burn cold, but for some reason, it lights up the turbos like there’s no tomorrow.<O</O
<O</O
I got about ½ tank on about 150 miles. It was showing about 18 mpg on the freeway which I assume is about right for that fuel.<O</O
<O</O

Todd<O</O

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Woohoo! Sounds like an animal, Dave I'm glad you decided to beef up that motor a bit. What did you decide to do?
More importantly, when are you getting that car back so we can meet up?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't know. I'm debating whether to ship it back so I can enjoy it for a while or have more down time which means it could be a while.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
1.35 bar TTdude, if its gonna be there for a while you might as well have Todd and his crew Pin the camshafts. That much boost over time will eventually spin the stock camshaft causing a blockage. I mean im sure Todd is aware of that common problem, but why not if its gonna be out of commission for a while? It will eventually have to be addressed, and when it is- you might as well do some mild/stage 1 internal build. It only makes sense- its the path I recently chose- and FYI todd has some great prices on engine internals!

Good luck with the build TT- im jealous and makes me think twice about my tuner and my "flashed file". Would love for mr.knighton to come to NY and dyno tune my beast. Maybe for my birthday.. lol

Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by salerno713
1.35 bar TTdude, if its gonna be there for a while you might as well have Todd and his crew Pin the camshafts. That much boost over time will eventually spin the stock camshaft causing a blockage. I mean im sure Todd is aware of that common problem, but why not if its gonna be out of commission for a while? It will eventually have to be addressed, and when it is- you might as well do some mild/stage 1 internal build. It only makes sense- its the path I recently chose- and FYI todd has some great prices on engine internals!

Good luck with the build TT- im jealous and makes me think twice about my tuner and my "flashed file". Would love for mr.knighton to come to NY and dyno tune my beast. Maybe for my birthday.. lol
Hey Sal--Good advice for sure. Keith who I believe was first to build E85 997tt with Protech/Protomotive told me the same thing. Todd definitely knows about it. Does the cam issue affect all 997tts? I'll probably upgrade the motor at some point. It would be nice to have the car back, that's all. It's been a while. In reality, these things take time, no matter how straightforward they may appear. There always seems to be some sort of delay or hiccup.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by salerno713

He dont have to come here .He will have you send log and he will fine tune file and send back . PS he got mine spot on first time . hes GREAT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive 983whp/963tq Stock Motor