997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CPO- 6yr/100k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Truble10
A CPO is a 'limited' warranty and is not the same as the original warranty on the vehicle. It seems like the service your are receiving could be because of the relationship you have with the dealer. I would not expect the same level of service for everyone. Items like the carbon trim are exactly the things that are not covered under a CPO but are covered under the original factory warranty.

I don't think it is accurate for you to say 'Porsche NA made my baby a CPO, basically extending the "new car warranty" to 6 yrs./100K.

If it was a new car warranty it would be call such - CPO it is a limited warranty and Porsche clearly states this.

You will find huge differences from dealer to dealer as to what is covered and what is not. Also the dealer has the ability to cover items under 'goodwill' and they will pay for. Again every dealer is a little different and having a solid relationship cannot be overstated.
Here's what the Porsche CPO brochure says and it looks to me to be an extension of the new car warranty:

The Porsche Approved Certified
Pre-Owned limited warranty is just like
our new car limited warranty.
All you’re responsible for are normal
wear and tear components, such as
brake pads or wiper blades and
scheduled maintenance. What’s more,
you receive 2 years or 50,000 miles
of coverage (whichever comes
first) following the remainder of the
new car limited warranty. Plus, our
around-the-clock Porsche Roadside
Assistance in the unlikely event you

have trouble on the road.

Here's some more detail on what is and what is not covered - doesn't look to me as any more "limited" than the new car warranty.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned...oved/warranty/

Based on this, I don't see why your dealer said that PCM/Nav was not covered by CPO.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 10-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
The CPO coverage did change in Aug of 08. The new CPO covers a lot more.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
bluespeed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by function12
If your sales person is Louis. RUN!!!! Ask him to put what ever comes out of his mouth in writting and he will never speak another word.
I got screwed by him once when he was at Porsche North. I about died when I saw him at Porsche West and I was look for a turbo. Same old lies. Felt like I was 16 and never heard of Porsche when you talk with him. That crap he slings is unbelievable.
The sales manager is aware of it too. Just a shame.

Louis Solange? He has been around the Porsche community forever, hold he keeps getting jobs I don't know. One of the times when he was fired he went psycho and things got really nasty.

Its a shame that with as big as Houston is there isn't a honest dealer with a good reputation. I found Boardwalk in Dallas on dealer rater and spoke to a gentlemen by the name if Chris Williamson. Told him that if the right car at the right price came along I would be a buyer but not in a rush but he said he would keep an eye out.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
raidentech is infamous around these parts
I have experience with CPO. They denied some claims. Not the same as original factory warranty. Don't believe the hype w the CPO marketing.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:33 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raidentech
I have experience with CPO. They denied some claims. Not the same as original factory warranty. Don't believe the hype w the CPO marketing.
What hype? You get a warranty book with the CPO paperwork - it's either covered or not covered.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Here is my take on CPO cars and this is after my experience with CPO BMW & Mercedes...

The CPO process as such is nothing but a friggen joke... Yes they do go over the car but the criteria of certification is amazingly rediculous and here is how :

Fluids: Do you think they change the fluids... Absolutely not... If the car doesn't need any change say for few months/few thousand miles, then it will be fine... Meaning, you could be changing them pretty soon

Brakes : Same thing goes with the brakes. If pads have say 50% of life left then the car will be certified.

Navigation/Cd player: Not covered

Tires: OK to certify with say 50% tread

Wheels: OK to sell with rashed wheels and once again

Accidents/paint work: OK to certify a car with few painted panels and with out any disclosure

Personally, i would rather not buy a CPO car and save that money and buy a good after market warranty that covers lot more then certification.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Another route you can always go with is an aftermarket warranty if the car isn't CPO. I got a Platinum warranty from Fidelity for my 996 TT X50 when I bought it a bit over 2 years ago. It's complete bumper to bumper with only a $100 deductible. I was offered a CPO warranty but they said they'd have to replace $2000 in random things to get the car up to spec for it (which I didn't understand) plus they'd want $3000 if it was CPO so I'd have to pay $5000 more.

Normally I'd never buy an extended warranty because they're not usually cost effective, but this one was only about $3500 for 4 years/48k miles so I did that instead of CPO. I'm glad I did because I've had the following things go wrong:
Blown Nav head unit and assorted fuses, 6 disc changer broke too ($2300 parts plus $500 labor)
Blown alternator ($1000? parts plus $600? labor)
O-ring on an oil cooler fitting that required dropping the engine ($100? parts plus $3300 labor since the motor had to be dropped)

Total of $3400 parts plus $4400 labor TOTAL=$7800

They were great about paying for everything except a few miscellaneous parts. I had to pay for a new $200 battery when the alternator went and $300 parts for the other things so only $500 out of pocket and no fighting with them on anything.

No I don't work for Fidelity but I'll definitely buy a warranty from them again!

Last edited by teflon_jones; 10-09-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Here is my take on CPO cars and this is after my experience with CPO BMW & Mercedes...

The CPO process as such is nothing but a friggen joke... Yes they do go over the car but the criteria of certification is amazingly radiculous and here is how :

Fluids: Do you think they change the fluids... Absolutely not... If the car doesn't need any change say for few months/few thousand miles, then it will be fine... Meaning, you could be changing them pretty soon

Brakes : Same thing goes with the brakes. If pads have say 50% of life left then the car will be certified.

Navigation/Cd player: Not covered

Tires: OK to certify with say 50% tread

Wheels: OK to sell with rashed wheels and once again

Accidents/paint work: OK to certify a car with painted panels and mismatched colored bumpers and all that with out any disclosure

Personally, i would rather not buy a CPO car but save that money and buy a good after market warranty that covers lot more then the certification.

Last edited by quick; 10-09-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:22 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
the cpo "process" which i paid the extra $3k for on an '02 x50 saved me approximately 15 grand in covered repairs during the 2 year period of coverage. at the end of the coverage period, given i was LOOKING for sh*t to fail, the car was perfect, and all issues were dialed out.. before it was totalled, through no fault of mine.

trans repaired ( twice ) for the 2nd gear popout issue.
spoiler hydraulics replaced.
ps steering pump reservoir replaced.
battery replaced ( under warranty )
driver seat heater element replaced
glove box latch replaced.

and other stuff i'm probably not remembering just now. granted i had a decent ( read as hundred dollar handshakes ) relationship with my service advisor and service tech, and many issues were borderline covered/not covered, but they never failed once to decide in my favor on parts and labor to fix non wear/tear items. ( eg, though the covered glove box latch could easily have been called wear/tear )

my advice to anyone that has a choice..: pay the premium to get the cpo if it's available. guaranteed it'll save you big time.