997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How is this for service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
How is this for service?

We usually read about service experiences when they're bad, so I thought i'd post one about someone going above and beyond.

Was scheduled to be at Monticello Motor club this weekend with personal coaching from pro driver Aaron Povoledo. Aaron is a great guy and instructor, and an amazing driver (congrats on the win in Atlanta last week!)

At the end of the day he was doing some hot laps - PSM off and pushing things pretty hard. Very humbling. Anyway, after a few laps we get a CEL and things are not feeling great. lots of hesitation, doesn't sound good etc. We pull into the pits and we check for a boost hose. everything looks ok.

I call my tech Kip Harris hoping to catch him in the shop late on a Sat. He answers and I tell him what's going on. At this point we took the car out of the complex and we did some more experimenting. Every time boost came up we got the stuttering.

Kip thought it could be the spark plugs and we tried to think how many miles ago they were changed.

Obviously, I could not go back for the 2nd day with the CEL and not knowing what was going on.

Kip said he'd hang out if I wanted to drive over so he could check it out. So, I drove the 1:45 minutes to CT. so he could have a look.

Hooked it up to piwis and showed misfiring. He didn't have the plugs in stock so called another shop that had them. He drove over and picked them up and came back about 20 minutes later.

I guess by the time he got back and moved the other cars out of the way it was close to 8:00 when he started.

I'm sure everyone here knows what a ***** changing plugs on this car is. He inspected the coils and they were good. The thing with Kip is he looks at everything, not just doing the job your asking him to do. He is so methodical and an absolute perfectionist.

The plugs were completely destroyed. Good news is that he was able to inspect lots of other things and all looks good on my almost 60,000 mile '07.

Like I said, i don't remember what time he actually started but I do know what time I left his shop. 5:00AM!!!!

I don't know many people that would stay at work literally all night after working all day to try to help a customer out.

Anyone in the tri-state area that is looking for someone will not be disappointed. He is as knowledgable as they come and there is no nicer guy in this business.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Good to hear service isn't dead, Chris. How many miles were on your plugs? How many with the tune?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Wow, what a heroic effort. Great story! That's what I call customer service! I hope you tipped him well.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bonehead
Good to hear service isn't dead, Chris. How many miles were on your plugs? How many with the tune?
Ed, I usually do a pretty good job of tracking this stuff but I couldn't remember this time. we're pretty sure there were about 15,000 miles on these plugs.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
What shop?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:44 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
that is awesome service

Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
What shop?
No name - he uses space in a local garage in Norwalk. It's not the prettiest place but Kip is amazing.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Jenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud ofJenner has much to be proud of
That *is* great service! What did that set you back $1000 for parts and labor?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
That is awesome! I have known a few people like that but they are few and far between.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
For a minute there I thought this was a Porsche dealer and was about to drop to the floor in amazement. Sounds like you have a great guy, people with work ethic like this will do well for themselves.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
No name - he uses space in a local garage in Norwalk. It's not the prettiest place but Kip is amazing.
He has his own personal PIWIS?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
If memory serves me right, Kip use to work for Faren Bacher Loles (spell ?) and yes i have heard good things about him.

As a matter of fact, i called him few months ago to verify the service on this car that he set up for the client and Kip was nice enough to talk to a stranger (me) for over 20 minutes on the phone.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
WOW All I can say is WOW! Great customer service...............

Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
heard also many great thinks about Kip from other Porsche owners ,Chris could you please pm. me with his info?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by quick
If memory serves me right, Kip use to work for Faren Bacher Loles (spell ?) and yes i have heard good things about him.

As a matter of fact, i called him few months ago to verify the service on this car that he set up for the client and Kip was nice enough to talk to a stranger (me) for over 20 minutes on the phone.
Yes, he worked at Farnbacher Loles. I also believe he spent some time in Germany with a race team.

Not surprised that he spent that much time on the phone with you. The first time I met him I had an issue that i needed diagnosed. he spent a solid 40 minutes or so and didn't charge me a penny. I walked in without calling and figured i'd set up an appointment. He just took care of it then.