997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CA Smog Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Glad to hear you were successful. I have to go back and look at my numbers again -- I don't understand how I got 0.0 across the board. Clearly, there's a lot more room for some mods!
Thanks, yeah zeros across the board seem unusual but hey, you passed!
Yeah I'm trying to convice myself to keep from mod bug.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Verify your softronic tune has NOT disabled the post cat oxygen sensors BEFORE going in for the test. If it has, you may fail for that reason alone.

The 997TT is a very clean car to begin so provided the cats are up to snuff you should pass fine.
Softronic does not disable any O2 sensors. Even if they had been it would not affect the smog test. The post 02 sensors only measure cat efficiency and by checking the OBD2 port they should be in Ready status or not.

This may not be relevant , yet I have had other customers asking Softronic to fix other files with ready status issues etc though.

I would have been surprised if it didnt pass.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Last edited by Softronic; 10-12-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: text
Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
interesting, I came across it here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...iticism-3.html

I understand its not uncommon for a customer to request it to be done, myself included with my old Cargraphic w/ evoms flash, due to post cat CELs from an exhaust.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
interesting, I came across it here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...iticism-3.html

I understand its not uncommon for a customer to request it to be done, myself included with my old Cargraphic w/ evoms flash, due to post cat CELs from an exhaust.
Like I said the post Cat O2 sensors have nothing to do with smog.... Smog is a tail pipe reading of what the car actually is emitting in HC,CO etc. The post O2's are used for checking Cat efficiency and if you had none or they had been below spec you would get a CEL. The spec isn't necessarily either in that if the CEL is on that it would fail the smog yet a comparative reading of the primary to post Cat O2 sensor. With a CEL you would not pass the OBD2 test in which is in addition or separate to the tail pipe test. This would be the checking of the Ready status of the systems. Most of the EU countries never used them at all until the last few years as the EU4 spec is about the same as our LEV. Many states do not check Smog at the tail pipe yet just Ready status at the OBD port. The fault for the CEL can be eliminated yet the post Cat O2 sensors are still installed and active though. Basically if you did take them out, unplugged them etc it would not affect the reading that you would get at the tail pipe. What would affect it would be having no Catalytic converters as an example.

To sum it up you could have a CEL on for Cat efficiency yet pass a smog reading, you would fail the port test for having the CEL on though. The CEL function for that specific fault could be turned off and still pass the smog and the port now since there is no CEL on.

There are many statements in that long thread that are either not factual or by people that do not understand what is done in in the changes to the software or how to do it. Most do not understand what the post O2 sensors to the primaries are or their function.

Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at 203-723-8928.

Best Regards,
Scott

Last edited by Softronic; 10-13-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
From my understanding in California if you turn off the rear o2 sensors you will fail the test as it will return a 'not ready' alert to the tester - even if your car is clean as a whistle with whats coming out the tailpipe.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
From my understanding in California if you turn off the rear o2 sensors you will fail the test as it will return a 'not ready' alert to the tester - even if your car is clean as a whistle with whats coming out the tailpipe.
The EPA states that all cars up to year 2000 may have up to two systems in "Not Ready" status. 2001 and newer may have 1 in "Not Ready" status. This governs all the states for the port checking.

CA section 3340.42.2 page 236 further state this.

Once again they are not turned off and are still active. They could be turned off yet there is no reason to. Should you check them in actual values they are still functioning.

I hope this helps or clarifies this.