997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Motorwerks Houston: reliable shop? Heard they had a Secret Services sting!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
All the while my M3 was at Moterwerks. Its was a built motor SC car and made 585 rwhp.

However it had failed emissions, and there were obviously some tuning issues with the car. It sat at Mwerks for 3 months w/ nothing being done to it. A friend of mine owned a BMW shop here in Houston and he convinced me to take the car to him.

While trying to sort out the problem, the motor blew. We decided to return the car back to stock, put a remannied stock motor in, but before the work was completed my friend got a $120K a year job as the service directer for a Toyota dealership and sold his shop. I needed to get someone else to finish the car.

The only reason I had taken the car from Mwerks is they had not touched it for 3 months. I still had faith that they could fix my car, I just realized I was going to have to wait. A long time. I was willing to wait, but when I called, one of the techs told me I was going to have to pay time and a half.

That was pretty arrogant, considering that I was still defending Mwerks to my insurance company. Maybe I was wrong from their point of view for going w/ another shop, but they were wrong for letting my car sit while nothing was being done.

I have not really wanted to go public w/ this, but as mentioned was asked to do so by a Mod I respect. I believe that if Akrams ego can come back to earth that he is still a superb mechanic. Until then I take my cars to Steve Ott at Drivers Source.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
rickykline is infamous around these parts
Hey dr.Jitsu I was working there while your car was there. I however was told that the car wasn't important and that we would get to it when we had free time. Over and over. After the credit card fraud issue came up. I started haven mixed feelings about the shop and shortly after I quit.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Drivers Source Steve is awesome! I wouldnt let Motorwerk touch my bike!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:39 AM
bluespeed is infamous around these parts
So glad I found this thread, recommended Akram to someone on Monday but have since called and recanted my recommendation. They have done several small jobs for people I knew so I was behind them and their work based on those experiences.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:29 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Someone who is great at something is useless if they cannot be depended upon.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Sean, thanks for sharing. I did not have a good experience with motorwerks, on several occasions. Akram is very good at Porsches, but him and Sunil do not know how to run a business

Steve Ott is a great person to work with. He has two guys (Mark and Aaron) that work for him, and I also have faith in both of them (he might also have a welder now...). He is very dependable and trustworthy. I have been to many of the Porsche shops in Houston and Steve is the only person in Houston I trust.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Just got a call from Steve, and he has gotten my M3 back up and running. He has also been doing the maintenance on my GT2.

And Aaron helped build the original motor that was in my car.

I would take my Equus to them for service, but it comes w/ 5 years of free maintenance. Hyundai comes to your house at your convenience, drops off a loaner (usually a Genesis) and delivers the car back to you.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:16 PM
jgood is infamous around these parts
I think the original question has been more than answered.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
There are quite a few excellent Porsche shops in Houston. Driver's Source has always been reliable, and Autodynamica in the Woodlands is very good as well. ProTechnik was a good shop but closed its doors. When any of the local Porsche shops get stumped though, there are two people in town that they go to for help. Viking Sjovall at Viking Motorsports, and Don Irby at West Houston Porsche. Viking was the original Ruf authorized shop in the United States, and Don is the Michael Jordan of Master techs - this is no exaggeration either

Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
+1 for Viking, he is the man.
Autodynamica is a great shop too.
RAC if you don't mind driving to Dallas.
I wouldn't take my car to mw for anything, but that's just me.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 10-23-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I've used Steve @ Driver Source exclusively without issues.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Another vote for Steve Ott.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:38 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cpais
I don't really know any of these shops so I would have absolutely no input for the original poster.

I just want to say that the original poster and the ex employee both sound like they are trying to discredit the shop for there own personal agendas. This thread is absolutely useless.
I agree, especially since the OP has not posted on this thread again since achieving 15 posts...as the OP's first post on the forum, this appears to be nothing more than a troll' tactic of bad mouthing a company who can't respond.

Unless someone has something meaningful to contribute specifically about the original topic, this thread is closed.

Jitsu - thanks for chiming in. Appreciate it.

bob

Last edited by bbywu; 10-26-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I thought it only fair that MW be able to respond. As they are not a sponsor, I am posting this for them, and will leave the thread closed thereafter. Thank you all for your input. If there is something else to be added, please PM me.

After being referred to this thread by a few people, I wanted to read it myself and see what all the fuss was about. Akram and myself (Sunil) rarely ever get on forums and post anything but I felt this is one reason we should clarify a few things. I will make my points brief and factual. I do not want to argue with anyone on this forum. All statements made are the truth and I can back up each statement with proof.

1. We are NOT under surveillance with the Secret Service and never have been. I cannot discuss the details of this case directly but it had nothing to do with Akram, myself or the Motorwerks business. Also know, I am a sworn peace office in the State of Texas and work with several agencies. I was never friends with John Paz or whoever that is. Since people love to gossip, I might as well add we have a secret lab underground of our building where we work on alien life forms and are trying to make a new alien fuel.

2. Ricky Kline did work for us but was fired from our facility shortly after being hired. We do the customary employee "write ups" and have written proof with his signatures on them. He later tried to file for unemployment (which he lost). I am not going to go into the details of his work ethic, or him as an employee. He was not a good fit for us. If Mr. Kline does not stop posting incorrect information, he will be served with a cease and desist order. I am not going to openly argue with him on this forum. The fact is he no longer works here because he was fired.

3. Yes we do take a long time on projects. We are careful of which employee works on our clients' cars. Several of our clients' cars are vehicles removed from other shops and we no longer like to work on these types of vehicles as too many hands have been involved in them. We do not take weeks for an oil change as one member pointed out. We will take a few hours as we like to look over the vehicle in detail. We continue to get business from our loyal customer base because they trust us. We represent ourselves as being honest people in the industry and do not like being affiliated with any unscrupulous individuals. We have tried out several technicians in the years we have been in business. Most do not live up to our expectations and do not have the work ethic and passion we require. It is these very individuals that talk negatively about our business, such as above.

4. Dr. Jitsu did bring his wife's E class in for work after being damaged in an accident. The vehicle sat in the rear of our shop unsecured for several weeks until insurance came out to look at it. At this point, we had the front of the vehcle disassembled completely. The vehicle was damaged in the rear of the shop. I never denied it was. We did not have a lock on our rear gate and never had surveillance cameras in the rear until this incident. It appeared as though the water pump was damaged from a source other than the accident. Our shop covered the replacement of the water pump. I still have the old water pump to show the insurance in case they need it. I have no idea who did this but I feel we should be responsible to replace it since it happened under our watch. I have said the same to Dr. Jitsu as well as his insurance company. His insurance company is now looking into having us replace a Satellite Radio module located in the trunk and lower oil pan damage, both of which we have no idea about, but because of the damaged water pump are pointing the finger at us. We have not seen the vehicle for several months if not more than a year and it was repaired at another shop. If I remember correctly, we were also being blamed for the wrinkle in the roof of this vehicle which was caused from the impact during the accident from the frame being bent. We never began the repair process on this vehcile and it was finally transferred to another shop and stayed there for several months. . (correct me if I am wrong Dr. Jitsu)

5. Dr. Jitsu, it has been several years now regarding the original visit on your M3. I went back our computer system and looked up some dates.

A. First Visit March 12th 2009 with BMW M3. All intake hoses were loose. Client complaining of low power and loss of boost and poor shifting quality of SMG. Invoice Posted 03/27/2009 which makes it about 2 weeks.

B. Second Visit July 30, 2009. Client would like 20k service, replace intake manifold boots with silicone boots and replace s/c belt. Invoice Posted 08/13/2009 which makes it a little less than 2 weeks.

The above time frames do not account for weekends since we don't work on weekends and also does not account for times when we call the client to pick up the vehcile but the client could not come in due to his own schedule.

So clearly, we never had the vehcile for 3 months. Dr. Jitsu, you can verify this with your credit card statement also. . We did not sit on this vehicle for 3 months and actually never had it longer than 2 weeks. . We were waiting on a "tuner" to get in touch with you from Puerto Rico. We fixed the hardware issues immediately. On the last visit, we had been out of touch for several months and noticed your M3 come in on a wrecker. We had no call from you regarding this and had no idea why it was here. We finally came to know that it came in to get a stock tune installed by Jerry. Apparantely, it had some hardware issues too and you wanted us to look at it. To be honest with you, we don't like to touch vehicles that have had a long history as yours. That M3 has been in and out of so many shops. It's too time consuming to figure out what other shops have done and we would rather not take on such a project. At the end of the day, it costs you more money by looking for a bargain. And if we do take on such a project and have to chase everything down to a vehicle such as this, it takes lots of time to do it and again we are at fault for this. We are not going to simply address one issue on such a vehicle. We would like to check over EVERYTHING done to a vehicle such as this. We refuse to share liability with other entities.

To Dr. Jitsu: we have nothing personal against you, have done lots of work for you and your family in the past, and have appreciated your business. I am sure you can recall the time Akram worked on your Porsche and you outran another infamous GT2 .

At the end of the day, manufacturers of these almost perfect automobiles have years of lab testing and development, which still end up having issues from time to time. The people who choose to be in our industury have a fraction of the resources, and a fraction of the time to produce products which are exponentially superior. We are human beings and issues will arise. What sets one outfit apart from another is how well they stand behind their loyal clients and the extent to which they will go to right the situation.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 PM
A rebuttal was made today by Jitsu, which I have promised to post. To everyone who contributed to this thread, thank you. It is up to each individual to do diligence and research on those who they trust to work on their cars.

Any further discussion would require representation from the vendor...and as MWs is not a sponsor, and can not promote their business here, the discussion would not be balanced. Hence, this will be the last post on this topic.

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I have only two quibbles with Sunils' post: First, my M3 did in fact sit there for close to 3 months.

There was never any credit card documenting that period because no work was done thus no reason to run the card. The two times the card was run was for completely separate issues.

Second, yes, I understand that it would take time to run down the problem. I had absolutely no problem w/ them billing me for the time, but am offended that they would charge me time and a half rate.

In regards to my E350, the motor of my car was damaged at Motorwerks (obviously when it was out back in their unsecured yard). My insurance company insisted for many months that I pay out of pocket. They eventually agreed to fix the motor, but then they got the money back by shorting me $6K on my diminished value.

Last edited by bbywu; 10-28-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: edit