997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK thoughts, take 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
PDK thoughts, take 2

You might remember my post on the PDK a month ago. I bought a TTS in early Sept and made some comments about the PDK, notably about the shift time in manual mode.

After driving the car for about 800 miles now I have come to some new insights.

Automatic mode is fantastic, especially sport mode. The automatic program of the PDK is fabulous. It is very responsive and really makes the car feel alive. (Of course sport mode also adjusts the throttle response, so that helps).

Sport Plus is really not for the street, unless you like cruising at 5000 rpm all the time.

I still have an issue with the manual mode, but I have gotten used to it. The slowest response to a paddle command is from 1st to 2nd gear. Other gears are faster to respond. I still believe the BMW DCT is a superior system overall but the PDK is pretty good, auto mode is impressive. I prefer to be in manual mode most of the time, so there lies my issue.

So I rate: BMW DCT 10 out of 10 (super adjustable and so responsive)
Porsche PDK 8 out of 10
Ferrari F1 (single clutch) 8 of 10 (not smooth (but part of the fun) but SOOO responsive)

Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
these transmissions really bother me.. in fact I posted another thread about it... it scares me , I am afraid to buy an m6 or m5 because I feel I will dislike the trans so much I will ultimately sell it ...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
these transmissions really bother me.. in fact I posted another thread about it... it scares me , I am afraid to buy an m6 or m5 because I feel I will dislike the trans so much I will ultimately sell it ...
Well the BMW systems are the best in my opinion. That is what I miss most about my M3. The older M5, M6 transmissions were terrible. DCT is a new world vs SMG. The new M5/6 will have the DCT.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
The DCT in the M3 is worlds better than SMG in my car.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Truble10 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s

I have an 06 M5 and love the SMG. It appears that I'm the minority. It does take time to get familiar with and if you just jump in for a 15 minute test ride it will be jerky. Once you get the settings correct and learn how to drive it I think it works great.

It is kind of like learning to drive a manual for the first time. You don't just jump in and shift smoothly at first but that does not mean it is not a good transmission.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 AM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
I came fr an 08 M5 SMG and loved it. I actually loved when driving it hard and hammering thru the gears. I drove a few DSG cars and they felt to numb flipping thru the cogs.

Ken

Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Periokid
Well the BMW systems are the best in my opinion. That is what I miss most about my M3. The older M5, M6 transmissions were terrible. DCT is a new world vs SMG. The new M5/6 will have the DCT.
i liked the m6/m5 with the v10s tho so SMG

Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
It sounds like you guys have not actually driven the DCT when they first came out in the '09. I had a late 2008 build '09 M3 with DCT. It has the notorious downshift lag, which goes like this:

1. Car in D mode and cruising
2. Car coming to a stop at a light or traffic
3. Car is downshifting itself all the way to 2nd gear
4. before you make a full stop, the traffic clears / light turns green
5. you step on the gas hoping the car will go, but it only revs in N
6. takes a second or two for the computer to engage the gear again
7. your car violently lurches forward since it's at a high rpm

It took BMW many software updates and many hours of research before they finally came up with the latest DCT / TCU that works perfectly. I tried it on the 2011 M3 and the lag is finally gone.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Had the PDK in my C2S and drove the DCT M3 at the 2 day M-school. I thought the systems were identical and very smooth when driving in auto and cruising or very fast and responsive when driving the car very hard.
I hated the SMG, but would not hesitate to buy any M-model with DCT or porsche model with PDK. Actually if its a GT(2 or 3) car then it will have to be manual.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Sladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura aboutSladep has a spectacular aura about
Just drove a friend's 2011 TT S in PDK, including a launch control starts. The car gas Champion's 600hp upgrade. Wow. That PDK engages its clutch so perfectly then once the speed is around 20 or so, it pours in all the boost. Each wheel is fighting for traction, and it's grabbing heads about every half second. Like launching a superbike perfectly, but with no messy wheelspin, wheelies, or rear end sliding sideways. My '08 997 GT2 has the same upgrades but of course has the manual 6 speed. I can see why people like the pdk for pure adrenaline. It's unreal how fast that car launches and builds speed.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Mhirsch is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Truble10
I have an 06 M5 and love the SMG. It appears that I'm the minority. It does take time to get familiar with and if you just jump in for a 15 minute test ride it will be jerky. Once you get the settings correct and learn how to drive it I think it works great.

It is kind of like learning to drive a manual for the first time. You don't just jump in and shift smoothly at first but that does not mean it is not a good transmission.
You are not alone, I also am a big fan of the SMG. My M5 has performed flawlessly and is very responsive.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by K-E-V
It sounds like you guys have not actually driven the DCT when they first came out in the '09. I had a late 2008 build '09 M3 with DCT. It has the notorious downshift lag, which goes like this:

It took BMW many software updates and many hours of research before they finally came up with the latest DCT / TCU that works perfectly. I tried it on the 2011 M3 and the lag is finally gone.

Yup, my car was an 09 that had to be reprogrammed. The lag was a serious danger. Which makes a point that the PDK could likely be upgraded by a simple software upgrade. I want instant shift when I ask for them through the paddles and maybe a firmer shift in the sport modes. Nothing more.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sladep
Just drove a friend's 2011 TT S in PDK, including a launch control starts. The car gas Champion's 600hp upgrade. Wow. That PDK engages its clutch so perfectly then once the speed is around 20 or so, it pours in all the boost. Each wheel is fighting for traction, and it's grabbing heads about every half second. Like launching a superbike perfectly, but with no messy wheelspin, wheelies, or rear end sliding sideways. My '08 997 GT2 has the same upgrades but of course has the manual 6 speed. I can see why people like the pdk for pure adrenaline. It's unreal how fast that car launches and builds speed.
No doubt about it. The PDK and the turbo motor are a match made in heaven.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM
radgaser is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by K-E-V

Same problem with my 2008 DCT that is why I sold it. Didn't trust it and dangerous. No hesitation or lag with the PDK...

Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM
scuderiavw is infamous around these parts
I found 1st to 2nd on PDK a little sluggish as well.