997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Modded VTG's and E85

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM
ViciousZ is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the responses. My installer says stock clutch will hold, but will be on the edge. No 1st gear clutch dumps. Modded vtgs 2100 and they take my stock ones. Not 2100 each. I will let you guys know how I make out.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John H.
He won't need to upgrade ICs if he's running E85. E85 does more for cooling the charge air intake temps than any aftermarket IC could ever dream to do. Cars running E100 at 30+ psi boost don't even run ICs. More power through better chemistry. Flow-wise, no problem at 600whp. Huge waste of money, but huge profits to some.

John H
I think with stock intake and 63.5 mm vtgs, he will be lucky to hit 600 whp even on E85. I would at least upgrade to the .2ICs, they are a relatively cheap mod and work really well. Even though ethanol will provide some inherent cooling effects, the temps coming out of those vtgs can quickly ramp up and every bit of cooling helps.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
OP, get the .2i/cs and you'll also save a little on labour b/c the install of the turbos involves taking off the rear bumper etc... anyway. I have modded vtgs and .2i/cs and it's a great combo. For $2100 I don't think you're getting the clipped turbine, but check with your installer.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:29 AM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
I'm doing modded vtg's w/65mm turbines for $1500 plus the retune.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
T.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the rough
I highly recommend talking to the guys at Switzer. When it comes to making efficient power on Turbos, they're leading the game.

We just finished an '08 Turbo with them. Very similar to what you have in mind, but flex fuel and 900hp. Appropriately named the F900 here in Canada. Extremely high quality and a great group of people to work with.

IMHO, and certainly on these cars down the road, it pays to go with a full package tuner as opposed to piecing parts together.

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by T.Hill
I highly recommend talking to the guys at Switzer. When it comes to making efficient power on Turbos, they're leading the game.

We just finished an '08 Turbo with them. Very similar to what you have in mind, but flex fuel and 900hp. Appropriately named the F900 here in Canada. Extremely high quality and a great group of people to work with.

IMHO, and certainly on these cars down the road, it pays to go with a full package tuner as opposed to piecing parts together.
I guess that means you have E85 available your way. None around the GTA yet which is too bad or I'd consider it.

Post some pbox results if you can!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ViciousZ
Thanks for all the responses. My installer says stock clutch will hold, but will be on the edge. No 1st gear clutch dumps. Modded vtgs 2100 and they take my stock ones. Not 2100 each. I will let you guys know how I make out.
Unless Todd gives you a detuned file with less TQ.
It will hold for less then a month, especially in the cold weather.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
all your info seems spot on, except for the stock clutch being able to hold. IT WILL NOT. Good luck with the mods, and let us know how it all works out. Seems like a good direction to go.

Recently was at a track and watched a mildly tuned E85 GTR abuse almost everything including stock Turbo S (pdk, with launch), Switzer 800 GTR, and a few other mildly modded GTR's and 996 turbos. The E85 really makes a huge difference.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Thanks for the post T.Hill, your 900 build is quite the machine!

Originally Posted by dinorocz
Recently was at a track and watched a mildly tuned E85 GTR abuse almost everything including stock Turbo S (pdk, with launch), Switzer 800 GTR, and a few other mildly modded GTR's and 996 turbos. The E85 really makes a huge difference.
I know the car, mildly tuned is a bit misleading, it is running on E85 on the stock turbos cranked up past 20psi... The tune is far from mild, but yes, it did put a few car lengths on our P800 GTR that was not using launch control from a dig. Would I run a GTR on the stock turbos that hard? IMHO, no.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM
T.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the roughT.Hill is a jewel in the rough
Bogg, we have one E85 station here in Ottawa. Difficult to plan your life around, which is why the new flex fuel option from Switzer made so much sense.
We'll probably pick up a drum of E85 or E98 to leave at Calabogie Motorsports Park for our track days next season.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Nardo4 is infamous around these parts
Any other news with 68er with E85 ? Any 60-130 times ?