997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Magnetic Plate holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011 | 08:53 AM
|
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Magnetic Plate holder

"justatoy" inspired me to try out a magnetic plate holder.

I was using a tow hook mount but I did not like th position of the plate and the fact that removing it took more effort than I liked.

Here is my creation:

Magnetic Plate Holder

I ordered the magnets from Magcraft. The website is www.rare-earth-magnets.com

Part number NSN0582. I got two sets.

The magnets are glued with a hot glue gun. I got the glue from an install shop that says this particular hot glue was the strongest and could take the summer heat. I don't know the specifics of it.

The fork is a piece of oak wood. I notched it to contour to the grill. I put felt on the magnets and the fork to prevent scatches and dents.

I curved the plate to follow the bumper. I glued magnets to the bracket that the plate is attached to as it was made of aluminum.

I also placed a piece of door trim in the bottom of the plate to prevent damaging the spoiler when i remove the plate.

Last edited by Periokid; 02-07-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-14-2011 | 09:19 AM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
That won't come off in spirited driving?

Old 11-14-2011 | 09:21 AM
|
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by skeeter
That won't come off in spirited driving?
Well it has not come off yet and I would consider 140 mph spirited.

Old 11-14-2011 | 10:30 AM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Nice Work. The more speed, the more pressure to stay put I'd thing.

Parts list and tutorial please?

Old 11-14-2011 | 11:13 AM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Ha ha love it!! I think I'm gonna do the exact same thing on my car. I'll cover the back of the plate with some kind of protective felt pad though to avoid risks of scratches on the bumper. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-14-2011 | 12:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by Norman75
Ha ha love it!! I think I'm gonna do the exact same thing on my car. I'll cover the back of the plate with some kind of protective felt pad though to avoid risks of scratches on the bumper. Thanks for posting.
All contact points are already covered in felt. I had the same concerns. Actually the bigger danger is the pressure from the squeeze of the magnets. That can leave a dent in the lip. I put felt on the magnets to cushion it.

Old 11-14-2011 | 12:56 PM
godspeed521 is infamous around these parts
Very creative, thanks for sharing!

Old 11-14-2011 | 03:31 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Periokid
All contact points are already covered in felt. I had the same concerns. Actually the bigger danger is the pressure from the squeeze of the magnets. That can leave a dent in the lip. I put felt on the magnets to cushion it.
It makes sense, and again thank you for the tip. Rep Points!!

Old 11-14-2011 | 03:57 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
200 MPH it will fly like a tissue paper !
but thanks for sharing

Old 11-14-2011 | 04:32 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
I just learned something about the front end of a Turbo...I've had two 997 TTs and thought every bit of the front was 'plastic'....had no idea magnets would attach themselves to anything in that area.

Old 11-14-2011 | 05:15 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tssci
I just learned something about the front end of a Turbo...I've had two 997 TTs and thought every bit of the front was 'plastic'....had no idea magnets would attach themselves to anything in that area.
It is all plastic or polyurethane. He mounted magnets behind the bumper.

Old 11-14-2011 | 05:40 PM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
nice work!

Old 11-14-2011 | 06:17 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
It is all plastic or polyurethane. He mounted magnets behind the bumper.
Thank you...had I watched the full video the first time it would have all made sense...thought he had some 'magic' going on with those plate magnets

Old 11-14-2011 | 06:42 PM
|
Originally Posted by tssci
Thank you...had I watched the full video the first time it would have all made sense...thought he had some 'magic' going on with those plate magnets
No, No, No, it is magic.

Old 11-15-2011 | 10:30 AM
Tooloco4a911 is infamous around these parts
Genius!! now i can say goodbye to the paper clips holding my plate when i park at any NYC street

Rep points to you Sir!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Plate holder