997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

FRUSTRATED with my Turbo!! Plz Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Izwar is infamous around these parts
FRUSTRATED with my Turbo!! Plz Help

Ok had my Manual 997.1 Turbo for a few months now and for the dam life of me i still cant figure something out that is driving me nuts and killing my driving experience.

Ok so.. Sometimes when im driving the car and feel like driving fast and slam on the gas the car works wonderfully with that turbo speed you expect, sometimes scary, in the PSI gauge, sometimes can get it 15-16 PSI and thats when the car is really flying. Also when i turn sport mode on and i slam to the floor i can see the icon for the PSI booster activate as well.

Now what is pissing me off is that it only functions like i stated before, about 60% of the time.

A LOTTTT of times, when i want to drive fast i do the same exact thing as i mentioned before and i slam the gas down, the car will not spool, i get to like 2-4 PSI and then it feels like its just relying on its HP rather then the turbos so the car isnt going anywhere, also in frustration ill turn on sports mode, and ill floor the gas to activate it, and it WILL not bring up the booster icon on the dash no matter what i do.

when im having this problem, ive tried all gear pulls, 1,2,3,4,5 all different RPM's, styles of punching the gas, nothing the car just doesnt want to spool to high PSI levels or use the boost mode.

And then to make it even stranger, if im having the stated issue above, i get to my destination, turn off the car get out. When it return , turn the car back on and try again it spools perfectly so im just frustrated out of my mind as to why i cant have the car spooling and powerfull on a consistent basis.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
This is strange. I thought another member had a similar situation and it turned out that there was oil in the intercoolers or something like that and it was causing a intermittent power loss. I'm sure someone will chime in.

On another note, I didn't know there was a light or icon that came on when the car was in overboost mode . . . I need to look into this. LOL.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
its not going to be consistent, its annoying I know. The overboost function relies on a bunch of parameters, flash it + exhaust and it will do it more often from lower RPMs

Old 11-16-2011, 10:57 AM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
I'm betting your waste gates are seizing. Same exact thing happened to mine. It's an expensive fix because the turbos need to be replaced. Are you still under warranty?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
It sounds like it could be an electronic issue as when you turn off/turn on the car the problem goes through. It looks like it resets through the off/on cycle?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Boost leak?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? I saw this thread this morning: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...em-solved.html

A long shot, but I figure that you're looking for all the feedback you can get.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Check for codes. It may be your vtg actuators seizing up. There was a service announcement on these a couple of years ago. Do a search. You'll probably find something.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Im not under warranty unfortunatly, i hope its nothing as severe as having to change the turbos, because i cant do that at the moment

im running bypass pipes so my mufflers are gone. Right now i have Fab Speed High Flow Cats, with bypass pipes. I took off the fab speed muffler.

Any one know of a place in miami that i can take it to to have them check the stuff you guys suggested? It is comforting to knwo about the over boost though that its not consistent.

Could putting my mufflers back on help the issue perhaps?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
What you're experiencing is pretty common down here....it's just the South Florida heat.

You'll never get totally repeatable performance down in the South Florida heat unless you upgrade intercoolers to be honest. I'm willing to bet that if you were to take a datalog you'd see your intake air temperatures are high when the performance is sacrificed. 100 degrees with 100% humidity will give you just about one solid run before your intercoolers are heat-soaked.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Izwar
Im not under warranty unfortunatly, i hope its nothing as severe as having to change the turbos, because i cant do that at the moment

im running bypass pipes so my mufflers are gone. Right now i have Fab Speed High Flow Cats, with bypass pipes. I took off the fab speed muffler.

Any one know of a place in miami that i can take it to to have them check the stuff you guys suggested? It is comforting to knwo about the over boost though that its not consistent.

Could putting my mufflers back on help the issue perhaps?
From what you're telling, you're going through exactly what I went through. I had bypasses too, and I think it made it easier for water to get to the turbos and settle, corroding the iron and making the gates seize on and off.

Next time it happens, pull over and listen to it idle, if it sounds really throaty, that means the waste gates are stuck open, and that's a pretty sure-fire sign that's what's happening. Sorry, I'm not from the area so I can't recommend any shops.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
What you're experiencing is pretty common down here....it's just the South Florida heat.

You'll never get totally repeatable performance down in the South Florida heat unless you upgrade intercoolers to be honest. I'm willing to bet that if you were to take a datalog you'd see your intake air temperatures are high when the performance is sacrificed. 100 degrees with 100% humidity will give you just about one solid run before your intercoolers are heat-soaked.
I'm sure this is a problem but not anywhere near the extent you're suggesting. I ran my car 4-5 wrapped-out 20 minute track sessions a day in 100+ Utah summers with 130+ temps off the track with bone stock equipment, and the ECU never sent it limp until well into my 5th session. Even then, 2 cool-down laps was more than enough to get it back into spirit. I'm sure your equipment is killer, but a stock car can go all day before heatsinking causes the ECU to limp mode.

His car is broken.

Last edited by SVTHorsnake; 11-17-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM
spooling is infamous around these parts
I have a 2009 997.1 turbo. I have been wanting to create a thread about this situation for a while. My situation is not as severe as what you are dealing with. My car is not consistant! Some times i will start it up and throw it in sport mode and it will feel crisp, fast and awesome! Other times it will feel sort of numb, annoying to shift, hesitant to spool. Of course temperatures play a role but i am noticing differences throughout different startups during the day. I cant even enjoy the car when its not on sport mode. It feels way too soft and not special. I feel as if its not big enough of an issue that i would be able to bring it to the dealer. They surely would not be able to find the flaws. I have a 100% bone stock car and I live in New York. Good luck with your car. I hope you can figure it out.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion

Do you think an Intake upgrade would help? also should i consider putting my mufflers back on?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm, did I miss anything but were you not getting CEL lights?

I got CEL lights and odd performance - turned out to be the actuators seizing up or something with the screws in them getting stuck... don't remember exactly.

I never drove the car hard at all since the CEL light came on, got it into the dealer right away. They re-lubed the turbos and the car has been fine ever since.

Last edited by djben; 11-17-2011 at 06:26 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FRUSTRATED with my Turbo!! Plz Help