997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

new turbo owner questions - boost psi #s means what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
new turbo owner questions - boost psi #s means what?

dumb first time turbo owner questions - what does the boost psi gauge really mean? are my turbos "always on" or only when the psi numbers > 0

for example - does it mean when I don't see the psi numbers going up that I am operating as a non-turbo car, essentially ~400hp motor instead of the 500 my 997.2 is rated for with turbo?

are my turbos always on when car starts and the boost is just extra juice for when I'm really flooring it? or turbos only come on when I see the boost bar go up?

last - only have 1.1k miles driven but have now done a few spirited drives, nothng close to redline or launch control yet, but I notice that with accelerator pushed to 3/4 when I punch it for a brief sprint - I only see my PSI bar go to 7. On the horizontal version, I see it labeled from 0 to 14 (with a 7 marker in the middle).

I've never seen my boost go above 7 - is that normal? Do I need to really push the pedal all the way to stop to go above 7?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by mozhacker
dumb first time turbo owner questions - what does the boost psi gauge really mean? are my turbos "always on" or only when the psi numbers > 0

for example - does it mean when I don't see the psi numbers going up that I am operating as a non-turbo car, essentially ~400hp motor instead of the 500 my 997.2 is rated for with turbo?

are my turbos always on when car starts and the boost is just extra juice for when I'm really flooring it? or turbos only come on when I see the boost bar go up?

last - only have 1.1k miles driven but have now done a few spirited drives, nothng close to redline or launch control yet, but I notice that with accelerator pushed to 3/4 when I punch it for a brief sprint - I only see my PSI bar go to 7. On the horizontal version, I see it labeled from 0 to 14 (with a 7 marker in the middle).

I've never seen my boost go above 7 - is that normal? Do I need to really push the pedal all the way to stop to go above 7?
Hit the gas (putting the pedal to the floor), shift up through the gears and watch the PSI meter top out before 100 MPH!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 AM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
Well, at late night with about as minimum traffic as LA will get - went out on highways and I tried a full pedal sprint. Saw my boost go to 10 - didnt get over boost arrow so I suppose I'll have to experiment with that

Read the posts here now about having to really quickly push down and not gradual press to get over boost to come on

I'll have to get on some longer/straighter stretches of highway - I kept running out of road by the time I had to back off on the boost - so 10 is highest so far

Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Normal turbo pressure is 1.0 bar (and yes the turbos are always on...at least while the engine is running since they turn because of the exhaust). Here's an explanation of overboost.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997 Turbo_US.pdf (56.8 KB, 727 views)