997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Right in my back yard: Porsche's Southern Cal Experience Center

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Right in my back yard: Porsche's Southern Cal Experience Center

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_19351917
Porsche will open a massive "Experience Center" with an off-road course and a variety of simulated driving conditions on an existing golf course and former apartment complex in Carson, company officials announced Wednesday at the LA Auto Show.
Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles would be the automaker's fourth facility worldwide. The existing centers are in Great Britain, Germany and China. Another is planned for the company's U.S. headquarters complex in Atlanta.
Company officials expect to break ground on the center next summer. First, landowner Watson Land Co. will oversee environmental remediation of the soil, which sits on several former landfills.
"We have been working on this for over a year," Watson Land Co. spokeswoman Pilar Hoyos said. "This is iconic and will attract visitors to the city from around the world."
The site is just off the San Diego (405) Freeway near the Main Street exit, where the Dominguez Hills Golf Course is currently located. The 18-hole, 3-par golf course - which has a popular two-deck driving range and and a landmark statue of a huge golfer, would be shut down.
Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles will feature a world-class test track and handling course where drivers can practice maneuvering on rain, ice and snow. A section called Ice Hill will have a steep slope and water jets. Another off-road area will include 45-degree declines and ascents.
Porsche officials say it will be open to "high-performance cars."
Porsche Cars North America President and CEO Detlev von Platen said the track will offer Southern California - one of the company's largest markets nationwide - an opportunity to realize the limits of their vehicles.
"Helping enthusiasts feel and connect with their vehicle's full potential through intelligent engineering has always been a part of the Porsche philosophy," von Platen said. "Now, we are excited to turn dreams into reality for all driving enthusiasts by creating a safe, exhilarating environment for experiencing the pleasure of being in the driver's seat."
Once opened, people will be able to purchase sessions with Porsche driving consultants. Programs for new drivers and teenagers also will be available.

Attached Images  

Last edited by cannga; 11-18-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 AM
godspeed521 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_19351917
Porsche will open a massive "Experience Center" with an off-road course and a variety of simulated driving conditions on an existing golf course and former apartment complex in Carson, company officials announced Wednesday at the LA Auto Show.
Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles would be the automaker's fourth facility worldwide. The existing centers are in Great Britain, Germany and China. Another is planned for the company's U.S. headquarters complex in Atlanta.
Company officials expect to break ground on the center next summer. First, landowner Watson Land Co. will oversee environmental remediation of the soil, which sits on several former landfills.
"We have been working on this for over a year," Watson Land Co. spokeswoman Pilar Hoyos said. "This is iconic and will attract visitors to the city from around the world."
The site is just off the San Diego (405) Freeway near the Main Street exit, where the Dominguez Hills Golf Course is currently located. The 18-hole, 3-par golf course - which has a popular two-deck driving range and and a landmark statue of a huge golfer, would be shut down.
Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles will feature a world-class test track and handling course where drivers can practice maneuvering on rain, ice and snow. A section called Ice Hill will have a steep slope and water jets. Another off-road area will include 45-degree declines and ascents.
Porsche officials say it will be open to "high-performance cars."
Porsche Cars North America President and CEO Detlev von Platen said the track will offer Southern California - one of the company's largest markets nationwide - an opportunity to realize the limits of their vehicles.
"Helping enthusiasts feel and connect with their vehicle's full potential through intelligent engineering has always been a part of the Porsche philosophy," von Platen said. "Now, we are excited to turn dreams into reality for all driving enthusiasts by creating a safe, exhilarating environment for experiencing the pleasure of being in the driver's seat."
Once opened, people will be able to purchase sessions with Porsche driving consultants. Programs for new drivers and teenagers also will be available.
Sweet, sounds awesome and thanks for sharing! By the way, I'm in the So Cal area, and just took delivery of a 2011 Porsche Turbo S Cab. I've thoroughly enjoyed your helpful posts and will be needing your advice along the way. You've been a GREAT source of information and I've been a fan. Maybe we can meet up one of these days!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
Hot damn, awesome news!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
We just moved to a larger shop in Carson a few months ago so this is going to be great to have a track in our "backyard"

Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by godspeed521
Sweet, sounds awesome and thanks for sharing! By the way, I'm in the So Cal area, and just took delivery of a 2011 Porsche Turbo S Cab. I've thoroughly enjoyed your helpful posts and will be needing your advice along the way....
Hi, thanks for the nice words and congrats on your very very *very* fast car. I drove the 997.2 non S PDK and even that car was so fast I could barely hold on the steering wheels from a standing start grin.
Glad to be of help and any questions please post - I am ALWAYS ready and happy to help spend someone else's hard-earned $$$ . Yes it would be fun to meet up one of these days; I used to go to Car and Coffee in Irvine but have stopped since I am now finally happy w/ my Turbo.

Kevin/Auto Talent,
Yes I just notice it's right in *your* backyard. Sounds tremendous and I could hardly wait. Unfortunately, probably a few years off with the large scale of work involved?