997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Best Coil Overs

I am looking to install CO's that will alow me to access the adjustment ***** w/o becoming a contortionist. Race quality with a very good rep. I want to be able to soften or harden the ride with a few clicks of the **** to my exact specification. I have looked at JRZ, Ohlin, and a few others. Any recommendations.

BTW: I assume that the CO would have the ability to raise and lower car with a large nut of sorts.

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 11-19-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
MCS (Motion Control Suspension) is formerly Moton. Moton was sold recently. MCS is the same guys under a new name, so if Moton is what you want, MCS is what you need. I have a MCS set up one way. It should be in next week.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
I wanted to metion, although I dont think it has a huge bearing on te selection, I will use the car for Road Racing, DD, and minimal drag racing. Is Moton (or whatever the name is) the middle of the road on price? My biggest concern is (1) performance, (2) accessability when adjusting (3) price.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:12 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The best are motons, (or mcs).

Old 11-19-2011, 08:33 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slow911TT68Tip
I wanted to metion, although I dont think it has a huge bearing on te selection, I will use the car for Road Racing, DD, and minimal drag racing. Is Moton (or whatever the name is) the middle of the road on price? My biggest concern is (1) performance, (2) accessability when adjusting (3) price.
Motons are top of the line performance and pricewise. Look elsewhere if you're looking for something middle of the road, price-wise.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
http://www.penskeshocks.com/PRESS_2009-03-24.php

Old 11-19-2011, 09:16 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Motons/MCS will more then likely be overkill for your desired application/use unless its mainly for track and drag racing (not really needed here), DD being last on the list. The Motons will give you a very harsh ride even on their softest settings and will also lower your car a great deal to the point where DD'ing will it become a PITA because you will be scraping everywhere.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:17 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I just did the KW V3's with HLS lift kit. GMG sways, RSS Tarmac Kit, and Tarett Drop links. I still have the $hity OEM Bridgestones on that have been overheated and beat up from track use. With that said the car handles great. Feels solid in corners. I will try to get a review up soon. After my purchase I had wished I went with motons too but as for now this setup works real nice for what it is.

Last edited by TT Chris; 11-20-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slow911TT68Tip
I am looking to install CO's that will alow me to access the adjustment ***** w/o becoming a contortionist. Race quality with a very good rep. I want to be able to soften or harden the ride with a few clicks of the **** to my exact specification. I have looked at JRZ, Ohlin, and a few others. Any recommendations.

BTW: I assume that the CO would have the ability to raise and lower car with a large nut of sorts.
"Best" depends on what you plan to use the car for for. Suspension is a system, not just coil overs. If you plan lots of serious track time go with Motons but don't plan to stop there because you'll never extract peak handling without additional suspension parts such as adjustable rear upper
control arms, adjustable toe links, sway bars, sway bar links, monoball camber plates, solid thrust bushing etc. When you're done you're going to be into this for close to $10k with labor, corner balancing and multiple alignment set ups.

Sometimes a car set up for the track is not much fun on the street.

If you're only going to do a bit of track time there are many other alternatives, KW, JRZ etc.

If it's basically a street car, PPS10 are fine and very easy to adjust.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 11-20-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 AM
I am using the car for DD, Drag or High Speed (come to think of it very often), and Road Racing (but not very often or lets say not very serious). I want to soften the ride w/o loosing the ability to run a course. When I run over 140+ the car hops along down the road while I would like it to be absorbing the road imperfections. I mentioned middle of the road but only assumed Motons where there, I dont mind spending a little extra money for what I want + durability.

It sounds like Duane996 hit it on te nose as to exactly what I want. The car is much different than my vettes in that they are very hard to handle at high speeds.

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 11-20-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VID997
Motons/MCS will more then likely be overkill for your desired application/use unless its mainly for track and drag racing (not really needed here), DD being last on the list. The Motons will give you a very harsh ride even on their softest settings and will also lower your car a great deal to the point where DD'ing will it become a PITA because you will be scraping everywhere.

Good luck with your decision.
You can get the Motons/MCS set up however you want as far as spring tension and ride hight. It will not lower your car at all if you don't want it set up that way. I decided to maintain factory ride hight on my GT2.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor
AutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to allAutoTalent2 is a name known to all
KW offers a few options which works great but if you are looking for DD comfort and good all around performance then this could be your answer. MCS makes great products but is on the agressive side.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi, I posted the following previously. As you and others have mentioned, there is no "best" because it all depends on what you are trying to do. The "Daily Driver" part of your requirement gave me pause about Moton and JRZ, even if they are the acknowledged best for track. Anyway, the choices and +/- are:
1. Bilstein Damptronic (if you want PASM), B16 (if you don't want PASM)
2. KW V3 (no PASM)
3. Bilstein modified, like TPC
4. Moton (no PASM, but who cares at this level :-))

1 is cheapest, retains PASM, designed and made and tested by same company that makes stock suspension. Bilstein uses Porsche's chief test driver Walter Rohrl as a consultant - you do not get a better after-market mod than this! It is also by far the most popular choice here. This would be my recommendation.
2 also has great reputation. Actually more sophisticated than 1 because it has independent low speed compression/rebound settings (speed refers to the speed of the shaft, not the car). This sophistication could be a plus, OR minus, depending on how good your tuner is. I wouldn't mind trying this setup at all, just because of my curiosity.
3 is a little costly. I wouldn't mind trying this either except for the cost. This system looks to me like a Bilstein with stiffer front spring and some PASM modification, with sway bar also by TPC, developed together as a system. These are people who race cars and know what they're doing.
4 Will feel amazingly sporty but too much (too stiff) for a mostly street car. Not recommended for this reason.

If you do this right, you will have the most capable daily driver in the world ----> no competition, period. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by cannga; 11-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 AM
scuderiavw is infamous around these parts
^^^^ Very Good. We speak the same language.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Thumbs up

Thank You for the write-up. It provides a lot more insight than I had to date. I have some thinking to do but keeping in mid my DD is very aggressive (I work way out west _ no traffic and decent roads). I have done some Road Racing and would like to pursue even more (when I get time) but I may buy another car just for that - maybe a C5 Z06.

Originally Posted by cannga
Hi, I posted the following previously. As you and others have mentioned, there is no "best" because it all depends on what you are trying to do. The "Daily Driver" part of your requirement gave me pause about Moton and JRZ, even if they are the acknowledged best for track. Anyway, the choices and +/- are:
1. Bilstein Damptronic (if you want PASM), B16 (if you don't want PASM)
2. KW V3 (no PASM)
3. Bilstein modified, like TPC
4. Moton (no PASM, but who cares at this level :-))

1 is cheapest, retains PASM, designed and made and tested by same company that makes stock suspension. Bilstein uses Porsche's chief test driver Walter Rohrl as a consultant - you do not get a better after-market mod than this! It is also by far the most popular choice here. This would be my recommendation.
2 also has great reputation. Actually more sophisticated than 1 because it has independent low speed compression/rebound settings (speed refers to the speed of the shaft, not the car). This sophistication could be a plus, OR minus, depending on how good your tuner is. I wouldn't mind trying this setup at all, just because of my curiosity.
3 is a little costly. I wouldn't mind trying this either except for the cost. This system looks to me like a Bilstein with stiffer front spring and some PASM modification, with sway bar also by TPC, developed together as a system. These are people who race cars and know what they're doing.
4 Will feel amazingly sporty but too much (too stiff) for a mostly street car. Not recommended for this reason.

If you do this right, you will have the most capable daily driver in the world ----> no competition, period. Good luck and have fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Coil Overs