997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

700-750 AWHP - Stock Motor - Budget Build - Realistic ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 AM
AriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond repute
700-750 AWHP - Stock Motor - Budget Build - Realistic ?

looking to grab a 997 and the below is an option on the table ... to get with the car ... does it make GOOD sense ? and if yes .. what is the ~value ? Componenets have less than 1K miles on them..

Components :
Turbos - gt3076 - .63A/R
Fenderwell intake,
offset headers,
xpipe exhaust & wg’s, and a
methanol kit.
Oem intercoolers since running Meth
sachs motorsport 764 pplate and lwfw with gt3rs ; gt2 slave
Proto Tune for 91+Meth... (Stock Injectors )

Does that sound like a viable option ?
Which will make the "safe" # of 700-750- to the tires ..
Fun to drive drive?..
Trackable ( or too much a straight line car ?) ? I know highway monster !!

Your thoughts ?

Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
yes this will put you right around 750whp +/- depending on who does the initial tuning. Keep in mind 750 is not safe on the stock motor... I learned my lesson at 30k miles and 600whp... before I had to build my motor-

Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM
AriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by salerno713
yes this will put you right around 750whp +/- depending on who does the initial tuning. Keep in mind 750 is not safe on the stock motor... I learned my lesson at 30k miles and 600whp... before I had to build my motor-
Auch ... was your tune for pump+meth and you ran out of meth or something of that sort ? Who was that tune ? Who is your tune now ? Bust a rod or melt a piston ? THX for sharing ..

my everything will be done..coming from Todd K.. Protomotive.. if it all pans out.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3317740

Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
My car had a history of a slight overfill- I had a good run with it to 30k hard tracked- miles with the 700+ kit on it tuned by EVOMs- The tune was stout with 93/100 octane options. Never would I point any fingers at evoms because I was to blame for the oil over fill- but eventually the cam overspun and when I had the camshaft replaced by my local motor man- he noticed some coolant in the oil so thats when I decided on going with a stage 1 EVOMS internal build. A simple basic kit that EVOMs sent right over within a full business week containing rods, head studs, obvious gaskets ,along with oem seals and rings.

Im sure todd K will do a terrific job tuning your set up to a safe and comfortable 750 whp- just know its possible for failure whenever pulling loads of power out any motor.

- The switzer build is nice bbyu- but I'm pretty sure that specific build is still not complete after months later... I like EVOMS and my motorman because they do quality and work at a fair price- and typically do a reliable, thorough motor build for me with the least possible down time so I can get my ponies to the ground- It is my daily driver... Down time is a crucial factor...

Cheers and good luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
The switzer build is nice bbyu- but I'm pretty sure that specific build is still not complete after months later... I like EVOMS and my motorman because they do quality and work at a fair price- and typically do a reliable, thorough motor build for me with the least possible down time so I can get my ponies to the ground- It is my daily driver... Down time is a crucial factor...
All true, but not really a counter argument to my example of an engine making more than 750 whp on the stock block. Every tuner has a safety limit that they believe the engine can take. It is up to you (and your trust in the tuner) to believe what is "safe."

Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
All true, but not really a counter argument to my example of an engine making more than 750 whp on the stock block. Every tuner has a safety limit that they believe the engine can take. It is up to you (and your trust in the tuner) to believe what is "safe."
When I saw 98XHP/960TQ on a stock block e85 setup .. I had a BONER... asked Todd about it .. he words were " The 700-750whp range stuff has been very long lived. The 800whp stuff has had a low percentage of failures, 900whp pretty high rate of failure."

I asked him to brew me something within my budget and maximum power within what he's consider "safe"... 700-750..

I even pushed him onto the VTG stuff for better area under the curve but he said to attain over 700 whp you would have to raise the boost quite high .. where as he believes; I can crack 700 whp w/ this setup at 1.2-1.3 BAR...

So far I am sold but I just do not want to do another big turbo setup and have a laggy ..lazy ... highway ONLY, straight roads monster ..

Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I am certain that is out of my budget ...but looks like a sick setup ..and if it were to be the "budget: setup . I think every 997 would be running it

Last edited by AriS4; 11-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
My car had a history of a slight overfill- I had a good run with it to 30k hard tracked- miles with the 700+ kit on it tuned by EVOMs- The tune was stout with 93/100 octane options. Never would I point any fingers at evoms because I was to blame for the oil over fill- but eventually the cam overspun and when I had the camshaft replaced by my local motor man- he noticed some coolant in the oil so thats when I decided on going with a stage 1 EVOMS internal build. A simple basic kit that EVOMs sent right over within a full business week containing rods, head studs, obvious gaskets ,along with oem seals and rings.

I like EVOMS and my motorman because they do quality and work at a fair price- and typically do a reliable, thorough motor build for me with the least possible down time so I can get my ponies to the ground- It is my daily driver... Down time is a crucial factor...

Cheers and good luck!
Good luck with your build. I'm sure you'll be back stronger than ever with room to grow!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AriS4
When I saw 98XHP/960TQ on a stock block e85 setup .. I had a BONER... asked Todd about it .. he words were " The 700-750whp range stuff has been very long lived. The 800whp stuff has had a low percentage of failures, 900whp pretty high rate of failure."
Good to know--lol. If you can get those mods for a reasonable price, I'd do it. They are expensive new. Good luck with your car.

Last edited by TTdude; 11-20-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 AM
John H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura aboutJohn H. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AriS4

Fenderwell intake,

Oem intercoolers since running Meth
Does anyone have any pics of fenderwell intakes with OEM intercoolers? I'm assuming they cut a hole in the intercooler ducts to route the intake? Can this be done with OEM style turbos as well?

John H

Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
AriS4....give us an idea of what kind of budget you've got in mind, that'll help.

The Sachs 764 will not handle 750whp for starters, unless you're planning on running MUCH less TQ. Even still, it's a big topic of debate about whether or not those numbers are safe on a stock engine. Some people are running much higher numbers on stock engines, and some have damaged internals with lower power levels. If you want to play it absolutely safe, get a kit that gives you 650-675 hp AND tq at the wheels and enjoy the car worry free. (feel free to contact me for said kit )

Also, your OEM intercoolers will not cut it, even with meth.

Based on what I've read on the forums about pricing on kits like the one you've listed, you're looking at upwards of $30k for the kit. We only engineer and sell VTG-based kits, so that's all I know price-wise. VTG kits will give you slightly less power, but definitely cost less and most likely be more reliable.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
AriS4....give us an idea of what kind of budget you've got in mind, that'll help.
Thank you !! YGM.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 AM

The Sachs 764 will not handle 750whp for starters, unless you're planning on running MUCH less TQ. Even still, it's a big topic of debate about whether or not those numbers are safe on a stock engine. Some people are running much higher numbers on stock engines, and some have damaged internals with lower power levels. If you want to play it absolutely safe, get a kit that gives you 650-675 hp AND tq at the wheels and enjoy the car worry free. (feel free to contact me for said kit )

Also, your OEM intercoolers will not cut it, even with meth.

Based on what I've read on the forums about pricing on kits like the one you've listed, you're looking at upwards of $30k for the kit. We only engineer and sell VTG-based kits, so that's all I know price-wise. VTG kits will give you slightly less power, but definitely cost less and most likely be more reliable.
Not to mention no EBC, stock oil lines, single ECU...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
AriS4....
" If you want to play it absolutely safe, get a kit that gives you 650-675 hp AND tq at the wheels and enjoy the car worry free."
Hi Tom, that means approx 780 crank hp/915Nm, isn't it already a lot for stock internals?
Especially for Euros who can run long high speeds on autobahns?

My 997.1 is approx 680chp/900Nm (will be re-dynoed soon), so I ask myself about rebuilding with Carillo's, but expensive, so if no need...

Thxs

P.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 700-750 AWHP - Stock Motor - Budget Build - Realistic ?