997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Carrillo Rod Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I dont have that measurement But I can tell you the shaved part of the housing was done to give enough clearance that is needed. When we get this motor assembled if nobody else chimes in, I will get that for you.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
No problem Dan. Thanks for your informative post. It's just surprising how in Salerno's case everything seems to fit while in others, one needs to shave off a little to provide the proper clearance. I'm wondering in those cases where the oil pump is not shaved how much clearance there is.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Could be different rods? I did not read indepth above. If they each can say what part number of rods they have, I can compare to what I have here.

I do have a question as we have these stroker kits here for the 996TT, does anyone know if the aftermarket rod, pistons, sleeves are the same between the 996TT and the 997TT? If so, then we have a new product

Old 12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
Could be different rods? I did not read indepth above. If they each can say what part number of rods they have, I can compare to what I have here.

I do have a question as we have these stroker kits here for the 996TT, does anyone know if the aftermarket rod, pistons, sleeves are the same between the 996TT and the 997TT? If so, then we have a new product
I just returned from my motorman's shop and had this discussion with him. Apparently, we are using 996 Carrillo rods which Evoms supplied and which Carrillo said was fine for our application. Ostensibly, they are the same size as the 997 rods but have a different locking system which is preferred for some applications. Perhaps there is enough variation between the 996 and 997 rods such that the older ones require the pump to be shaved and the 997 ones don't but I'm guessing at that. We had at one point discussed doing a 3.8 upgrade to my motor but that was shelved when my wife finally gave me "that look". Had we done the big bore kit, however, we probably would have been running 900+ hp and perhaps the 996 rods are superior in those applications. For now though, I think I should just take a seat since I am talking about things I really know very little about. Maybe Dan or someone else who knows a lot more can weigh in. Best,

Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
When my cams and intermediate gears were out at the machine shop getting pinned 2 weeks ago, I asked my tech if there were any problems with clearance from oil pump and rods and the only reply I got was "Whenever we do the aftermarket rods with the big oil pumps on all 911 engines (from the first 2.4L engine of the '70's to the new twins and GT3's) we always clearance the oil pump. It is a simple fix." I took his word for it as he has built many big hp cars and did not want to step on his feet asking why another EVOMS package did not fit.

Steamboat- you can not forget to address pinning the camshafts- They tend to overspin and cause a blockage and shortage of oil. I also ordered every o-ring and coolant hose that sits on the engine new . The remainder of the coolant pipes that were not tig welded are going out for welding, just to make sure this engine is stout, there were 1 too many glued fittings on this engine, even after I had addressed only the coolant pipe issue there were many more that could be fixed.

My tech also documented the whole build with photos and did any necessary gaskets/parts that needed to be addressed. As he is wrapping it all up, and data-logging after Christmas ill be sure to post a detailed new thread up.

Happy Holidays fellas, Cheers m8s

Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Salerno, I'm looking forward to that thread! What are intermediate gears and do they need pinning b/c of the same issue as the camshafts?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by salerno713
When my cams and intermediate gears were out at the machine shop getting pinned 2 weeks ago, I asked my tech if there were any problems with clearance from oil pump and rods and the only reply I got was "Whenever we do the aftermarket rods with the big oil pumps on all 911 engines (from the first 2.4L engine of the '70's to the new twins and GT3's) we always clearance the oil pump. It is a simple fix." I took his word for it as he has built many big hp cars and did not want to step on his feet asking why another EVOMS package did not fit.

Steamboat- you can not forget to address pinning the camshafts- They tend to overspin and cause a blockage and shortage of oil. I also ordered every o-ring and coolant hose that sits on the engine new . The remainder of the coolant pipes that were not tig welded are going out for welding, just to make sure this engine is stout, there were 1 too many glued fittings on this engine, even after I had addressed only the coolant pipe issue there were many more that could be fixed.

My tech also documented the whole build with photos and did any necessary gaskets/parts that needed to be addressed. As he is wrapping it all up, and data-logging after Christmas ill be sure to post a detailed new thread up.

Happy Holidays fellas, Cheers m8s
Salerno, Can you provide me with a brief explanation of what pinning the camshafts entails or point me to a previous thread where it is discussed? Thanks,

Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Salerno, Can you provide me with a brief explanation of what pinning the camshafts entails or point me to a previous thread where it is discussed? Thanks,
Salerno, Some photos/description would be great as I don't think has been documented before. Good luck with your build!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Well since I was at 29k miles when my camshafts went, EVOMS suggested this kit for higher mileage consisting of.

-Upgraded Rods, EVOMS Spec
-OEM Gaskets, Seals, O-Rings, and Top End Rebuild Kit
-EVOMS 10mm Head Stud Kit
-EVOMS 3.6L, 10mm Stud, Hellfire Head Gaskets
-OEM Rod Bearing Set
-OEM Main Bearing Set
-OEM Nose Bearing
-OEM Intermediate Bearing Set
-OEM Piston Ring Set
-EVOMS/Denso Spark Plugs

As for the parts pinned in the motor- the Camshaft has sort of a metal clip that is wrapped around securely stopping any motion or play that causes them to spin, almost like its strapped down so no oil blockages can happen. This is caused by too much boost.

I dont know exactly why he suggested the intermediate gears be brought to the machine shop- but I remember seeing a link that PCNA emailed me about IMS upgrade kit, so assuming its related...

http://www.LNengineering.com/ims.html

I apologize for a not so stellar description but ill be sure to pester my tech about it friday when I go to check up and drop him off a bottle of wine for the holiday. I will report back soon fellas.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by salerno713
Well since I was at 29k miles when my camshafts went, EVOMS suggested this kit for higher mileage consisting of.

-Upgraded Rods, EVOMS Spec
-OEM Gaskets, Seals, O-Rings, and Top End Rebuild Kit
-EVOMS 10mm Head Stud Kit
-EVOMS 3.6L, 10mm Stud, Hellfire Head Gaskets
-OEM Rod Bearing Set
-OEM Main Bearing Set
-OEM Nose Bearing
-OEM Intermediate Bearing Set
-OEM Piston Ring Set
-EVOMS/Denso Spark Plugs

As for the parts pinned in the motor- the Camshaft has sort of a metal clip that is wrapped around securely stopping any motion or play that causes them to spin, almost like its strapped down so no oil blockages can happen. This is caused by too much boost.

I dont know exactly why he suggested the intermediate gears be brought to the machine shop- but I remember seeing a link that PCNA emailed me about IMS upgrade kit, so assuming its related...

http://www.LNengineering.com/ims.html

I apologize for a not so stellar description but ill be sure to pester my tech about it friday when I go to check up and drop him off a bottle of wine for the holiday. I will report back soon fellas.
Cool. You're gonna have one solid motor when all said and done.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
the IMS kit is for a weakness in the M96 and M97 (boxster and regular 911) cars. Our Mezger motors are not known for IMS issues

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Just to help you sleep at night, even with our custom Carrillo rods, there is some very minor clearance that needs to be filed on the oil pump. It's completely acceptable and DOES NOT negatively effect the oil pump at all. Here's a pic to give you an idea of how little needs to be cleared.

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
My oil pump was also shaved slightly- my tech said he has done the clearance plenty of times and its a simple fix but also there is a letter from Carillo in the box that people probably dont read; but it says the pump needs shaving... As for the intermediate gear inside the motor being pinned. He pinned the gear that drives the timing chain with 3 additional fasteners.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Are you back in business? Are you doing anything special for break-in this time around? Good luck, my project is still in the weeds but, I think, we are getting closer........Happy New Year!