997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 turbos with straight pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Izwar is infamous around these parts
Hey i had the fabspeed muffler with highflow cats, and i took off the mufflers and put in the bypass pipes. Its loud as **** now and i would not want to run full straight pipes lol i love it and you can hear the turbos whistling but any louder and i would not be able to take it, the drone is very loud and 90% of people that come in my car cant take it.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 PM
vpmick is infamous around these partsvpmick is infamous around these parts
i don't have any cats or mufflers...just FVD Brombacher pipes from turbos to tips. Not for the faint of heart!!! For me, great sound, big weight savings and supposed to have HP gain. And it's an affordable option.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
We have an X-Pipe for the 997TT that can be used either catted or catless, with OEM tips or full 3" true dual tips. The advantage of the SpeedTech X-Pipe is the sound is much improved compared to simple straight pipes, so you have the performance of straight pipes, but with an enhanced sound and less drone. The X-Pipe can also be swapped out with a muffler fairly easily, making it a flexible application should your taste change over time. This is a very flexible system offering outstanding build quality and fantastic sound. Below are a few pictures:

SpeedTech X-Pipe with cats and OEM tips (dual 3" tips optional) - no muffler. Can be run catless for pure straight pipe effect.

SpeedTech X-pipe removed and internal X-Flow muffler with 3" true dual tips inserted

SpeedTech X-Flow Muffler with OEM tips inserted (catless version shown)

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
Agency Power straight pipes on our 997tt. Like stated before, not for the faint of heart and very loud. It's either a love/hate relationship from most auto enthusiasts, but the sound from the spooling turbos and the flames at night win most people over.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
mach1pannu is infamous around these parts
+1 to hear the sound of turbos...if it's a weekend car, why not?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:04 PM
porsche1099 is infamous around these parts
Flames! :d

Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM
carl111 is infamous around these parts
Do you have to tune for the straight pipes?

thanks

Carl

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
I have GIAC tune but occasionally will get a CEL from the O2 sensors. It' doesn't effect the cars behavior or performance in my case

Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carl111
Do you have to tune for the straight pipes?

thanks

Carl
If you have the race-cats, and eliminate the muffler with the bypass pipes, you will be ok. If you replace the race cat and muffler with a straight pipe, you will have to turn off the 02s and tune for better performance...I assume a lot of low end will be lost due to the lack of back-pressure...

I wonder if I will get flames with the race cats...shall know this weekend...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM
AMG101 is infamous around these parts
I do not have a 997 Turbo nor have an advise....BUT OMG THE TURBO SOUND IS INCREDIBLE!!!!! THE ONLY REASON I DIDN'T LIKE THE TURBOS WERE THE QUIET EXHAUST.....OP DO IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Vid / pics of 997TT street car shooting FLAMES please!!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 PM
otoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud ofotoppero has much to be proud of
Rather than start new thread I will post my input gleaned from Fabspeed on this topic. I spoke with Jeff (very knowledgeable person) at Fabspeed this morning about doing 200 cell cats and straight pipes from there back to the tips. He warned me that this was quite a loud set up. One concern I had was CEL's. Jeff stated that they can add a "J" shaped extension to to post cat bung to get it out of the airflow and around a large percent of CEL occurring. Also if this option of cat then straight pipe is step one in a serious of mods like an ECU mod from one of the tuners, your post cat O2 sensor can be adjusted to not pop a code thus the "J" pipes are not needed. With what he said today I will be doing the cat/straight pipe set up.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I have a GMG catless X-pipe and it is perfect. It is loud, but not deafening, and sounds amazing. It immediately grabbed me when I heard it the first time. It's a light system, and race-worthy. I am told the straight pipes are hearing-loss loud. Mine is already loud enough you cannot effectively talk on your cell phone. I have a set of straight pipes for the car, but I have no reason to put them on, other than self-abuse.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
I will be installing mine Friday or Saturday. Early in the week the muffler was removed to gauge sound. It is louder, but not unbearable. I think the race cats w/the bypass/straight pipes after that will be a perfect combo.

I will do some videos of before and after from inside and outside the car...and hopefully also from a following car out and under a bridge...

Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
cargraphic super sound version and i couldn't be happier. i had fabspeed straight pipe with 200 cats but no compression

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbos with straight pipes