997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 turbos with straight pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
i tried to PM you back your inbox is full try to email me plz

Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
i tried to PM you back your inbox is full try to email me plz
Who did you try to PM? I am not cool enough so my inbox is always almost empty...

Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
UPDATE

Well, my bypass pipes came in on Friday but unfortunately, due to some miss communication, I ended up with a set of 60mm instead of the 70mm that I needed for my set up.

As you can tell based on the picture above, this was not going to work. I will get the correct set up next week but, since I already had everything taken out, I really did not want to go through the process of installing everything back on.

Taking the tips off the pipes/arms that came out of the mufflers was a royal pain in the rear...there was nothing I could do except use patience in finagling and twisting and a bunch of curse words to get them out. I could not imagine myself putting them back on after going through what I went through (the tips on the muffler pipes). I think with all the heat they had pretty much welded in place...LOL - but, I was able to get them off with minor bruising and cuts.

Since I had accomplished this much, and since the 45 degree arms that come out of the mufflers could, in theory, act as "dumps", I decided to install those pipes against the race-cats (they are both 70mm) and had them pointing them straight down.

Needless to say, it was an eye sore from behind (imho, the best looking angle of our cars), so I used some screen I had laying around from previous projects and was able to install it against the heat shields around the inside of the bumpers. I actually like the look quite a bit and I think it still allows the heat to dissipate around since the pipes are pointing straight down.

Sound??

It is LOUD. There is NO doubt about it. How loud? It is extremely hard to describe. It is LOUD. It is louder than my Z06 with no-cats and "muffler mod" (basically straight pipes). I think I will be ok - I do not drive my 911 but about some 3,000 - 4,000 per year and when I drive it, most of the time I am DRIVING it, if you know what I mean.

If this were a daily commuter or a car I would put a lot of miles on, I do not think I would be able to stand it, but, time will tell.

My girlfriend likes it...but she has only heard it from above the room that is on top of the garage and when I was taking off from the street down the road....LOL.

At WOT, the car is wicked loud...WICKEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! Now, to wait on the correct bypass pipes and decide if I want to go with those or simply leave it like it is. The tips are pretty heavy, so this would save me an additional couple of pounds...

Last edited by TAILWAG; 12-04-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 PM
CarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud ofCarbonJuicD has much to be proud of
any clips on that tail wag. Must sound like a beast! Toto We aint in KANSAS no MO.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by CarbonJuicD
any clips on that tail wag. Must sound like a beast! Toto We aint in KANSAS no MO.
The phone videos do not do it any justice...this is what they sound like from a moving vehicle going about 60mph...

http://youtu.be/2EC-u3MTX4w

Inside the car you can hear more of "rumble"...I need to do some better videos tomorrow...it was too cold out to get good traction...I am spinning through 2nd gear and on top of third now....

I will try to get some normal driving videos too because that is when they sound the best. At WOT all you hear is fighting for traction and air being sucked in and spat out...

...and yes, if you have a good eye (second video), it is great to have a "jammer"...

Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Bolas997 is infamous around these parts
awesome vids!!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM
KPZL is infamous around these parts
I am adding quad tips to my 997.2, it looks like the 996 has a black 'bezel' that fills the space around the pipe. Is anyone aware of a similar part for 997.2? I wonder if a littel mod work would allow the 996 to fit?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Sounds beastly, yOu must get the giggles every time you press on the gas.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM
gasdoc is infamous around these parts
What's the best way to get flames out the exhaust?Rich mixture and straight pipes??Any videos of street p-cars and flames.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 AM
PacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud ofPacMan Z has much to be proud of
I get flames on heavy downshifts and sometimes on full throttle up shifts.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM
PRcarrera is infamous around these parts
Tailwag any updates on the straight pipes? Are they worth it performance wise?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 AM
MegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to allMegioN is a name known to all
I have custom Protomotive 3.5" straight pipes
Here is the video

Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
I tried once race cats and straight pipes. I felt embarassed driving around with the car. Awful sound and insanely high. The droning below 3000rpm was also so high that it seemed that the car was falling apart. It sounded like a race car at wot, but i needed to have 18yrs and be deaf to be able to drive on street the car in those conditions.

I also admit that it can be a option for those that seek max performance, but not for me that enjoy driving through town with such a prestigious car and be able to listen the radio or speak with the person at my side.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tiago
I tried once race cats and straight pipes. I felt embarassed driving around with the car. Awful sound and insanely high. The droning below 3000rpm was also so high that it seemed that the car was falling apart. It sounded like a race car at wot, but i needed to have 18yrs and be deaf to be able to drive on street the car in those conditions.

I also admit that it can be a option for those that seek max performance, but not for me that enjoy driving through town with such a prestigious car and be able to listen the radio or speak with the person at my side.
Our straight X-Pipe eliminates most of the drone of a straight pipe set-up and makes the Porsche TT sound like an Italian exotic - reminds me a lot of driving an F430. This is a great option for anyone wanting straight pipes with a sound you can be proud of...

Pictured with OEM tips - also available with true dual 3" tips

Example of our true dual 3" tips

Attached Images   
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
I have had great success with straight pipes or cheap muffler on a couple of cars - NSX and Viper namely. Chief concern would be drone. What is the best bang for the buck in terms of more aggressive sound but still no drone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 turbos with straight pipes