997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

wheel spacers - looks v. handling change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shamoo
I'm not yet knowledgeable with Porsches yet (picking mine up in a couple of weeks, w00t!), but in the M3 world (E9X model line specifically), wheel spacers sometimes had a negative effect on the ride characteristics. Many spacers would cause vibration and steering wheel shake at speeds over 80mph. This also happened sometimes in the S2000 world. I assumed that this was due to modifying something so in-touch with the road on a relatively high performance car (i.e.: throwing spacers on a Buick would have no effect).

Driving a few Turbos in stock form, the car already is so tight and firm. I would imagine that spacers may affect the car even more than the S2000/M3. Are any of you experiencing any vibration? I would love to put some spacers on the rear of the Turbo.
That sounds more like the spacers weren't hub centric and therefore didn't balance out properly.

You shouldn't feel anything different, balance-wise, with a good hub centric spacer.

And REMEMBER, if you go larger than 5m/m you NEED LONGER BOLTS!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM
zippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud of
Will OEM spacers from an '01 996 fit on a 997.1 TT? I am looking at a set of 17mm hubcentric spacers for the rear of my 997.1 TT. I wasn't aware of any sort of bolt pattern change

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
17 is too big imho.
My car has 17 and I feel the tire is just a tad further out than what I would like it to be. Enough to through debris on the rear of the bumper, which means a no no.

I am changing mine to 15 or even 10... From the pics above even the 15 at a certain angle shows a tiny bit of tire outside the fender...

Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
you can do 7mm 15mm RSS or 5mm 14mm H&R

Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
If you don't lower ride height you should be ok. But careful with rubbing fenders, especially when nagotiating fast tight downhill turns.