997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Audi R8??????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 PM
bryansdc is infamous around these parts
Audi R8??????

Can anyone help me reason why I should not trade me Turbo in on the V10 R8?
I really have an itch to do it.Would it be a mistake? Also is the R8 much longer and wider? Is there a huge difference in off the line speed? Anyone that has good info and opinions please be sure to share...Thanks

Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
It depends on what does it for you about your turbo, versus what you think the R8 is going to do for you.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
I just don't understand the fascination with the R8. Everyone implicitly (or sometimes explicitly) say it's a vastly superior car than the 997TT. In what way exactly? Aesthetics? Subjective. Does nothing for me personally. Certainly not performance. Only thing I see that makes it more desirable to some is the exclusivity: certainly fewer R8's on the road than 997's. But so what?

If the R8 'does' it for you, ditch your turbo. You'll always wonder "what if"?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bryansdc
Can anyone help me reason why I should not trade me Turbo in on the V10 R8?
You'll be slower. Does that help???

Old 12-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
I just don't understand the fascination with the R8. Everyone implicitly (or sometimes explicitly) say it's a vastly superior car than the 997TT. In what way exactly? Aesthetics? Subjective. Does nothing for me personally. Certainly not performance. Only thing I see that makes it more desirable to some is the exclusivity: certainly fewer R8's on the road than 997's. But so what?

If the R8 'does' it for you, ditch your turbo. You'll always wonder "what if"?
+1 Ed. I think he'll be more so wondering WTF...where did all the power go . The looks and assumed exclusivity will quickly fade thereafter....after he is left smoked by the TT....and a few other lesser cars. But i think it looks beautiful from such and such angle

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
You'll be slower. Does that help???

Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
Drive one and decide for yourself.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:00 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I considered the R8 spyder before I purchased the 911 TTS cabrio and I am 6'2. In the R8 I felt like I was wearing a hat. The interior was just too tight to be comfortable for me. To me it was also just very impractical. I can put "stuff" on the back seats of my 911. I put my son back there for short trips and you can stow a small over night bag in the frunk for weekend get-a-ways. There was no storage in the R8 to speak of.

I drove the hard top manual and it is nice but the feel of the 911 won me over. This was my first jump into the top teir cars and I have always been a car guy, but now I feel I have the best of the best in a 911.

R8 is a great car, just for me I did not prefer it over the 911 TTS.

At the end of the day, it is your car and opinions on this board offer great insight into what others see in their cars but what really matters most is what makes you happy. Drive it and decide. At some point all the top teir cars are excellent and it comes down to how you will use it and what your expectations are for the car to decide what is best for YOU.

Either way..enjoy your ride.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
I too looked at the R8 before selling my C4S for my Turbo. Beautiful car, and quite unusal. AWD, plenty of power etc.

What turned me off was the inability to go anywhere overnight with it. There is absolutley zero luggage space; zero. We did a 2000 mile trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains and back in the Turbo. Luggage, cooler etc. Plenty of room.

Try that in the R8. You can't even go away for the weekend in that thing.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:29 AM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
I much prefer the looks of the R8 over the turbo. I also think it sounds much better than the turbo. Turbo is more practical, quite a bit faster also. But like others have said test drive the R8 and see what you think. Does the R8 not have a frunk?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:51 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I participated in an Audi-sponsered driving event with the V10, and was pleasantly surprised. I've driven a couple of TTs, and my DD is a GTS, so I can give you my thoughts:

V10 Positives:
* Better sound than TT...much more exotic and intoxicating
* Better ride quality than any 997, especially around town. The R8 in 'Sport' mode is vastly more comfortable than a 997 is 'Normal' (Comfort) mode. I think the 991 will close that gap.
* Looks to kill for. You can't drive anywhere without an audience (especially if you have another 8 R8s with you). But, that could also be seen as a negative...all that attention I mean.

TT Positives:
* FASTER
* MUCH more legroom. I'm 6ft, and I was on the edge of not having enough legroom to comfortably drive. My friend that attended is 6'5", really wanting to buy an R8. After 30 minutes behind the wheel, he decided that he just couldn't do it. With seats all the way back, his legs were still bent and crooked to get to the pedals.
* More versatility. Frunk is larger. Rear seats/cargo space.
* R8 Auto transmission has an odd function that puts car in Neutral when it's come to a stop for long enough. I drove a 6-spd car, so I didn't experience that issue, but all of the participants that drive the Auto complained about it. PDK/Tip just stays in D.
* Did I mention that a TT is FASTER???

Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
I traded my R8 for a TTS, would never go back.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 AM
godspeed521 is infamous around these parts
I was faced with a similar dilemma- TTS or the V10 R8. Even made a couple polls on various forums to get some help with my decision.

After weighing all the PROS and CONS, which by the way are outlined very well in this thread, I have a TTS parked in my garage.

Can't say one is better than the other.. It really boiled down to the car that suited me the
best.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 AM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
In this league really, it doesn't matter...
Are you all about lap times? I doubt it.
I assume the unique look of the R8 is tempting you. Looks is personal, and if you like the R8 better that has nothing to do with which car is better or not.

So the best advise is: drive the R8 if you haven't already, and you'll know if you like it better or if you're going to keep your Porsche.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM
mllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant future
A year ago when I was looking for my next "weekender car", I had a short list compiled: R8 V10, GT-R, F430, 997TT, and DB9.
As a rabid Audi and Nissan owner/fan, and Porsche disliker, for most of my life, I really wanted the R8 or GT-R. After months of driving each, though - it came down to the R8 and 997TT. I really really liked both cars - but each for very different reasons: The 997TT: turbo performance, stunning manual transmission, seating position, feel of the road/bite, "sports car experience", and the ability to personalize the car. The R8: Sound (oh that sound), the looks, the balance of the mid-engine, build quality, interior feel.
I guess at the end of the day, I decided, if I had both cars sitting in my garage, which one would I drive more... I chose the 997TT, probably 9 times out of 10. I have yet to second guess my decision.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I love my r8, would consider a 2010+ turbo, but not 09 or previous. What the r8 does is provide the near perfect DD sports car experience and pairs it with showstopping looks and exotic panache. I quite enjoy the exclusivity as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi R8??????